GDT: Devils vs. Bruins - Hard To Kill - 7:00 PM MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuck With Nico

Registered Otaku
Sep 28, 2017
New Hampshire
I'd love to see this team come together tonight and get a gutsy win. However, I won't be watching for two reasons: One, every time I watch a Devils/bruins game they lose. Two, I hate Jack Edwards with a passion, and being in New Hampshire he's my only option...

Reactions: Oneiro

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
The Devils are 9-24 against the Bruins since 2010

2010: 1-3
2011: 0-4
2012: 0-3
2013: 2-1
2014: 0-3
2015: 1-2
2016: 1-2
2017: 0-3
2018: 1-2
2019: 0-1 (so far)

The Bruins are 100% our daddy

The Bruins won 7 meetings in a row from 11/15/2011 thru 04/10/2013

Sad, but not too surprising when they were one of the best teams in the league over that period and we've been one of the worst. I feel like the fall is coming though. They have a couple of excellent young stars in Pastrnak and McAvoy, but they're mostly an older team.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Hayden probably has more to do with the Bruins than anything Boqvist did or didn't do.

After all the drama, I want to see if this is a turning point too. Yardstick game.

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
The two games the Devils won during their only recent winning season against the Bruins (2013-2014):

October 26, 2013 @ Boston --
Greene GWG from Damien Brunner and Jagr with 45 seconds left in the 3rd to break a 3-3 tie. Jagr played 20 minutes that night with two points, Greene led the team in TOI also with 2 pts.

April 13, 2014 @ the Rock (last game of the season) --
Our old pal Zidlicky with the opening goal as well as the GWG. The first from Zajac and Elias, the second from Brunner and Jagr. Jagr played 16 minutes that night and had 2 points again.

Jagr on this team definitely helped get through that dark season of many, many shootout loses (13 out of 18 OT loses)

Reactions: Dialamo

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Did anyone else read Masisak’s athletic article about the goaltending situation? He breaks down our record when we get league-average goaltending...the numbers are insane.

6-0 this season

59-12-7 over the past two years when we get average or better goaltending.

16-58-12 when we get below.
This is insane. That's what a lot of us were hoping Schneider would return back to. Just be average. Yikes.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
The two games the Devils won during their only recent winning season against the Bruins (2013-2014):

October 26, 2013 @ Boston --
Greene GWG from Damien Brunner and Jagr with 45 seconds left in the 3rd to break a 3-3 tie. Jagr played 20 minutes that night with two points, Greene led the team in TOI also with 2 pts.

April 13, 2014 @ the Rock (last game of the season) --
Our old pal Zidlicky with the opening goal as well as the GWG. The first from Zajac and Elias, the second from Brunner and Jagr. Jagr played 16 minutes that night and had 2 points again.

Jagr on this team definitely helped get through that dark season of many, many shootout loses (13 out of 18 OT loses)

remember that Greene GW very well, Jack Edwards had a great call for that one

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Did anyone else read Masisak’s athletic article about the goaltending situation? He breaks down our record when we get league-average goaltending...the numbers are insane.

6-0 this season

59-12-7 over the past two years when we get average or better goaltending.

16-58-12 when we get below.

Just read the article, and wow, that is exactly the wrong way to use statistics. In the article Masisak notes that while the effect is more pronounced for the Devils, it's true across the league, with teams that get "average or better" goaltending winning an absurd percentage of their games. But obviously winning games drives higher save percentages much more than the other way around, if that wasn't the case goaltenders would be the highest paid players in the league and several of them would go early in the 1st round every year.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I was at that Greene game winning goal game in Boston, my in laws wanted to make sure we made the train and I left after Zidlicky tied it. Regret it to this day. :laugh:

I heard the crowd groan as we were walking out and ran back to see us celebrating. It was still a glorious time.

Let us not forget that Mac led us to a victory in Boston last year, so he's more than capable of holding his own against these guys.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Just read the article, and wow, that is exactly the wrong way to use statistics. In the article Masisak notes that while the effect is more pronounced for the Devils, it's true across the league, with teams that get "average or better" goaltending winning an absurd percentage of their games. But obviously winning games drives higher save percentages much more than the other way around, if that wasn't the case goaltenders would be the highest paid players in the league and several of them would go early in the 1st round every year.

I disagree, teams that get a high save percentage in a game tend to win because they likely allowed less goals.

Goalies would be paid huge sums of money and be drafted very high if the position had more consistency year to year and the prospects were easier to forecast.

Reactions: Unknown Caller

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I disagree, teams that get a high save percentage in a game tend to win because they likely allowed less goals.

Goalies would be paid huge sums of money and be drafted very high if the position had more consistency year to year and the prospects were easier to forecast.

The fact that there is so little consistency in terms of goaltender performance is even more evidence that team performance is driving those stats (save percentage, specifically).

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
The fact that there is so little consistency in terms of goaltender performance is even more evidence that team performance is driving those stats (save percentage, specifically).

I think it shows that it’s a hard position with little margin of error and a fair bit of luck.

If you blow a few shots you normally get and have a few guys snipe top shelf more than expected then you looks like a much worse goalie, even though you’ve been the same goalie for the vast majority of your saves.

What we do know is that of a goalie makes all his saves his team will win. No matter how badly the team played, if the goalies make all the saves then they win. So the goalie saves drives the win.

On the flip, a goalie plays crappy and it doesn’t matter how well his teams played. The goalie drove the loss.

A team playing well helps a goalie and a team playing badly hurts a goalie. The goalie making stops drives wins not seeing the win at games end forces the goalie into making stops.

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
Feel like this is a loss. This team doesn’t generate enough offense. One of the worst teams in the league offensively against a good defensive team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad