GDT: Devils vs Blue Jackets 5:00 PM MSG+

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
From what I've usually seen of Wedgewood, which was why I'm down on him and why I think he's been a bad goaltender in the AHL before this season, was he was too scrambly and aggressive at times.

There were a couple times he did a flop or two this game, but luckily it wasn't too much. One thing I liked was he seemed to break up a pass in front of the net and steered it into the corner. Think it was in the 3rd period. That's one of the things that a couple people have said they would like to see from Cory more.

I think a change needed to be made, and I would have still been behind it if Wedgewood allowed 7 or 8 goals today. Pete would have left Kinkaid in there until his save percentage fell to .880 on the season. I don't expect Kinkaid to stop most of the goals he's allowed recently, but there seemed to be at least one stoppable shot lately going in. With the exception of against SJ and LAK. And there were also a couple goals that weren't exactly bad, but came because he was flopping around and left the net open and was out of position too much. I noticed that against Minnesota the most.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
From what I've usually seen of Wedgewood, which was why I'm down on him and why I think he's been a bad goaltender in the AHL before this season, was he was too scrambly and aggressive at times.

There were a couple times he did a flop or two this game, but luckily it wasn't too much. One thing I liked was he seemed to break up a pass in front of the net and steered it into the corner. Think it was in the 3rd period. That's one of the things that a couple people have said they would like to see from Cory more.

I think a change needed to be made, and I would have still been behind it if Wedgewood allowed 7 or 8 goals today. Pete would have left Kinkaid in there until his save percentage fell to .880 on the season. I don't expect Kinkaid to stop most of the goals he's allowed recently, but there seemed to be at least one stoppable shot lately going in. With the exception of against SJ and LAK. And there were also a couple goals that weren't exactly bad, but came because he was flopping around and left the net open and was out of position too much. I noticed that against Minnesota the most.

100% the right move to give Wedge a shot. Goaltending has been putrid lately. We needed to try something new.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
100% the right move to give Wedge a shot. Goaltending has been putrid lately. We needed to try something new.

Obviously the penalty killing and backdoor plays have been a problem lately, there was also that goal that was tipped by Greene last night (or was it Larsson?) that was probably going wide if left untouched. Those are the goals I can't fault Kinkaid on, Cory could have easily let in all or most of those ones. Though he is better at stopping deflected shots. But there were 2 bad ones in Anaheim, you had the bad third one that got him the yank last night, a bad one against Minnesota, one or two bad ones against Pittsburgh. Even if the bad one's were stopped in Anaheim and against Pittsburgh, we probably still lose because we only scored 1 goal those games.

But I've noticed an increase in stoppable goals on Kinky this year. Everyone allows them sometimes, but about a third of the goals he's allowed on the season are stoppable. Not all of them are putrid and utter softies, but I'd say stoppable. Third one against Columbus last night was the worst one in a while. One of the goals against Pittsburgh early on was pretty bad too. Think it was scored by Matt Cullen.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Phoebe was fantastic tonight.

g_zpsz99dxxwk.jpg

Untitled_zpsszefbmhl.jpg

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
patrick warburtonVerified account
‏@paddywarbucks
@wedgewall congratulations Scott!!!!!
Puddy

‏@paddywarbucks
@NJDevils this @wedgewall looks to have a bright future. Go Devils!!!!!!

patrick warburton ‏@paddywarbucks 6h6 hours ago
@TGfireandice I would have been there, I'm in Vancouver for work. Go Devils!!!!!

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/devils-goalie-scott-wedgewood-congratulated-on-nhl-debut-and-first-win-by-the-man-on-his-mask-1.1530871

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
‏@paddywarbucks
Puddy

‏@paddywarbucks

@TGfireandice I would have been there, I'm in Vancouver for work. Go Devils!!!!!

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/devils-goalie-scott-wedgewood-congratulated-on-nhl-debut-and-first-win-by-the-man-on-his-mask-1.1530871

Haha that's awesome! Gotta support the team!

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
‏@paddywarbucks
Puddy

‏@paddywarbucks

Love Warburton. Such a funny actor.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Wedge was fortunate that it was Prout and not Atkinson on the breakaway but I did like the quick pokecheck by Wedge.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Then again against LA and San Jose, the defense was absolutely superb.

I don't remember Kinkaid having to make any saves that were difficult in those games.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Just gotta say again I'm so pleased with the win last night. It's hard to feel good having dropped four to them previously this year, at least two of which were THE absolute ugliest low points of the season for us.

But for the sake of closure on this putrid series and the betterment of various team intangibles, we really needed this win.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Just gotta say again I'm so pleased with the win last night. It's hard to feel good having dropped four to them previously this year, at least two of which were THE absolute ugliest low points of the season for us.

But for the sake of closure on this putrid series and the betterment of various team intangibles, we really needed this win.

Yeah. Building off what you say here, I'd really like to see the team finish off strong, just so there is a continued feeling of growth and progress even though this will again be another season outside the playoffs. I want it to end on a different note for players this season than last year, because there was improvement from last season to this.

At times this year, the team looked like a playoff team (and of course at other times, they looked like basement-dwellers), but last year I never remember them looking like a playoff team and they always looked like basement-dwellers. I care much more about ending on the right note (with good play and hopefully wins) than the standings at this point. End on a high note, hopefully build on the positives from this year, eliminate some of the negatives, and maybe if the hockey gods are merciful we could be a playoff team again at last.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

Yep, and Torts wanted last night's game.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
I'd like to see him be a tad more aggressive next game. I felt there were times he was to deep in his net. Might just be nerves for his first game.

I thought he was plenty aggressive when the situation allowed him to be. Look at the glove save he made on Dubinsky after Columbus scored. Dubinsky didn't have any real passing option and Wedgewood was 2 feet outside the crease. When there were multiple threats he did a good job of recognizing that and playing at a more conservative depth.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He wanted the job here.
Hynes got it.

He wanted to sweep us.

I mean I'm sure he'd want any job he could have gotten after the Vancouver fiasco, there were eight openings last offseason - I doubt we would have been his first choice if he had a choice. And a lot of the other openings got filled by inexperienced guys too.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Then again against LA and San Jose, the defense was absolutely superb.

I don't remember Kinkaid having to make any saves that were difficult in those games.

It wasn't too bad against San Jose, I thought the LA game might have been the best defensive game of the entire season.

Actually I think both games against LA might have been the best defensive games of the season.

The only time LA had a quality scoring chance was a few times over the stretch of almost 4 minutes that Warsofsky and Helgeson were caught out there. They had a couple other opportunities in the last few minutes of the 3rd and that was it.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Was he trying to get the Devils coaching job?

Like Devs26 said, I think he would have taken any job he could get last summer. But I don't think that he really particularly wanted this job here.

It took two ****in morons (and don't kid yourself, Jarmo and JD are not the outstanding management people that the league claims they are) to hire him in Columbus, after they fired their head coach after an 0-8-0 start. I bet they only fired Richards because they also believed they were a legit playoff contender and could possibly win the Metro. My only sympathy for them is they're on a budget.

8 job openings last summer, however many job openings there were the summer before that, after Vancouver fired him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad