Confirmed with Link: Devils trade #77 for RW Beau Bennett

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
Interesting that Beau Bennett also played for the Penticton Vees like Tyson Jost. Had a similar production too.

If he can stay healthy we would have a gem.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
From Cordell

2) Bennett's underlying numbers have been pretty impressive. Through 129 NHL games the Penguins have controlled 52.6% of the shot attempts at 5 v 5 as opposed to 50.4% without him. The Penguins have scored a hair under 52% of the 5 v 5 goals with Bennett on the ice, too. Staying healthy has been a problem, obviously, but good things tend to happen when he's out there.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
Don't mind him. He hasn't been able to love again ever since Kovy left :(

I noticed that it's hard to convince Devil fans that they have good players since that Kovy situation. I got a feeling things will get better within 2 seasons. Was sort of impressed with what the Devils were able to do under John Hynes for much of the season. I also like that Joseph Blandisi, one of the few players that gave the Pens trouble with his speed. Scott Wedgewood impressed me also. You guys got some good pieces, I think things are turning around for the better for Devils hockey.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
They probably feel BB will sign a different deal cause he'll want to play with us and won't get as much of a chance elsewhere as he'd get here.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
theoretically yes

but I can't imagine Shero doing this without having some sort of agreements in place with these players. plus I can't see teams knocking the door down to sign Jon Merrill or Beau Bennett

TheRobotDevil13

Jun 3, 2016
Hell
Ah ok, isn't he allowed to test the waters now though as a UFA before he signs any deal? Isn't that risky, or is a deal already all but signed?
No the Devils still hold the rights to Bennett,Merril and the other players that were not extended qualifying offers until Friday. I'm thinking they sign Bennet and A few others cheaper. Team sources are saying the Devils are hopeful and confident that deals will be done. And talks were very positive. We'll know by Friday though

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Hrm, strange. Bennett/DSP/Merrill's QOs wouldn't have been that much. Back in the day, the Devils didn't qualify Oduya at 660K but eventually signed him for 2 years @600K.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
Ah ok, isn't he allowed to test the waters now though as a UFA before he signs any deal? Isn't that risky, or is a deal already all but signed?

Beau Bennett isn't an UFA, he's a RFA...
http://http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/pittsburgh-penguins/beau-bennett/
Only risk for the Devils is if another team makes him a qualifying offer, in which the Devils have the right to make a matching. Teams usually don't do that because it would drive up the salaries of RFA's if that was regularly practiced.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Beau Bennett isn't an UFA, he's a RFA...
http://http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/pittsburgh-penguins/beau-bennett/
Only risk for the Devils is if another team makes him a qualifying offer, in which the Devils have the right to make a matching. Teams usually don't do that because it would drive up the salaries of RFA's if that was regularly practiced.

No - since Shero didn't extend the QO, Bennett is now UFA.

http://www.burgundybrigade.com/2014...ricted-free-agents-vs-restricted-free-agents/

Key graph:

If a player qualifies for all of the Restricted free agent status, but is not tendered a qualifying offer, that player immediately becomes an unrestricted free agent and may negotiate with any team he wants.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
I don't see Beau Bennett wanting to go to another team. Given the Devils' current contract situation, he has a very good shot at being on the top 2 lines. On top of that, he's very familiar with John Hynes's system with their days together in Wilkes-Barre. I think this will be a good situation for him to thrive, assuming he stays healthy.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
No the Devils still hold the rights to Bennett,Merril and the other players that were not extended qualifying offers until Friday. I'm thinking they sign Bennet and A few others cheaper. Team sources are saying the Devils are hopeful and confident that deals will be done. And talks were very positive. We'll know by Friday though

They are now considered UFAs. Any team can talk to them as its the negotiation window. Only the Devils can sign them until July 1st.. when anyone can sign them.

so yea we still have their rights but they are basically UFAs

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Pens fan here. I wish the best of luck to Beauner. He's a nice kid. Met him a few times.

He's easily a top 6 forward "if" he stayed healthy. That's been his biggest issue by far. I really didn't want to see him dealt because he's a great depth player and if he ever stayed healthy, it's a very versatile and effective player.

He has top end hands. Silky smooth mitts. Great along the boards and possessing the puck. Has had some shot issues in the past because of multiple wrist injuries. More about weak shots versus accuracy. Before his last major injury he seemed to have his wrist strength back.

If Beau can stay healthy, you got a top 6 forward. The big problem is "if" he can stay healthy. I've never seen someone injured like him. It became a running joke on the Pens board and a drinking game. I can't remember the last time I saw him play 10 games in a row. It's like he needs put in a bubble or something.

I will say even Beau has a good sense of humor. Check out what he retweeted recently from the Stanley Cup parade :laugh:

Wish you the best Beau. Stay healthy.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
Aside from his shoulder injuries, most of his injuries were fluke injuries that could happen to anyone at any time. As long as his shoulder is fine, he shouldn't be anymore prone to injuries than anyone else.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
Sorry for keep posting here as a Pens fan. Just got my buddy, Robodevils, to join HFB, so I figured I would post here to give him a sense of familiarity until he makes some acquaintances. He rooted for my Pens this year & the Pens became his 2nd team, so in return the Devils have become my 2nd team. Plus the Beau Bennett trade, Ray Shero as GM, & John Hynes as coach makes it very easy for me to root for the Devils.

After years of being lost in the woods from that Kovalchuk situation, I think you guys are now heading in the right direction. Will be very interesting to see how things develop over the course of the next 3 years. I see Devils hockey making a triumphant return. Best of luck, guys!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad