Confirmed with Link: Devils trade #77 for RW Beau Bennett

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sorry for keep posting here as a Pens fan. Just got my buddy, Robodevils, to join HFB, so I figured I would post here to give him a sense of familiarity until he makes some acquaintances. He rooted for my Pens this year & the Pens became his 2nd team, so in return the Devils have become my 2nd team. Plus the Beau Bennett trade, Ray Shero as GM, & John Hynes as coach makes it very easy for me to root for the Devils.

After years of being lost in the woods from that Kovalchuk situation, I think you guys are now heading in the right direction. Will be very interesting to see how things develop over the course of the next 3 years. I see Devils hockey making a triumphant return. Best of luck, guys!

We don't allow Pens fans here! GTFO!:sarcasm:

Just kidding, of course! Thanks for your insight on Bennett and we welcome respectful outside fans here too.

I am surprised that you have nice things to say about Shero, seems like most of the Pens fans I've seen on here do not.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
We don't allow Pens fans here! GTFO!:sarcasm:

Just kidding, of course! Thanks for your insight on Bennett and we welcome respectful outside fans here too.

I am surprised that you have nice things to say about Shero, seems like most of the Pens fans I've seen on here do not.

We all thought Ray Shero was a genius until he gave out those huge contracts to Kris Letang, Chris Kunitz, Pascal Dupuis, and Rob Scuderi, but looking back, all those contracts turned out alright for us.

Only thing I hated about him was that he drafted too many dmen so he could package them in trades later on, but he appears to have changed his philosophy.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We all thought Ray Shero was a genius until he gave out those huge contracts to Kris Letang, Chris Kunitz, Pascal Dupuis, and Rob Scuderi, but looking back, all those contracts turned out alright for us.

Only thing I hated about him was that he drafted too many dmen so he could package them in trades later on, but he appears to have changed his philosophy.

I'm actually hoping his love for Scuderi doesn't factor into having a Scuderi type of D man (Helgeson) on the NHL team top 6 D men in the future. It seems Deano loves him too, as he took him back again also, just like Shero did a second time. :laugh:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
I'm actually hoping his love for Scuderi doesn't factor into having a Scuderi type of D man (Helgeson) on the NHL team top 6 D men in the future. It seems Deano loves him too, as he took him back again also, just like Shero did a second time. :laugh:

In fairness to Shero, we were all pumped about getting Scuderi back. Not only because of his heroic goal line save on Franzen in game 6 of the 2009 SCF, but he was also a major factor for the Kings when they won the Cup in 2012. I think he knows that giving Scuderi that contract is really what got him fired (that & his refusal to fire Dan Bylsma in 2014), so I think he's learned his lesson. He seems to be adopting the Pens' model of speed, so I expect your team to be somewhat like ours within the next 2 seasons. I was very impressed by the Devils' speed (particularly that of Joseph Blandisi) when you guys beat us 3-0 in late March.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
In fairness to Shero, we were all pumped about getting Scuderi back. Not only because of his heroic goal line save on Franzen in game 6 of the 2009 SCF, but he was also a major factor for the Kings when they won the Cup in 2012. I think he knows that giving Scuderi that contract is really what got him fired (that & his refusal to fire Dan Bylsma in 2014), so I think he's learned his lesson. He seems to be adopting the Pens' model of speed, so I expect your team to be somewhat like ours within the next 2 seasons. I was very impressed by the Devils' speed (particularly that of Joseph Blandisi) when you guys beat us 3-0 in late March.

One of the critique's I had with Shero back in his Pens days was acquiring Doug Murray for two (I think?) 2nd round picks. Murray was terrible at the time, but I only knew that because the Sharks are my second favorite team. A lot of people gave him a hard time for Iginla, but that was certainly not a bad trade. The Pens were a win-now team and when you're a win-now team, you trade for a guy like Iginla. No questions asked. I think bringing back Bylsma after that ECF sweep was something that shouldn't have happened too.

But I think we can all agree that a GM and coaches alike, all have an expiration date and Shero was there for 8 years at the time of his firing. So being fired doesn't necessarily mean one's career is over. Any GM that is on their second NHL GM job (even Lou) has pretty much been fired already.

Blandisi is very fast, he's just not such a great skater at times. Not great in that he falls down a lot. Not that he's slow. He could work on his skating a bit, his speed is fine. He's young and small too. I'm actually surprised to see that he's listed as 6 foot and 200 pounds. I actually thought he was 5 foot 10-ish and maybe around 180. He appears small to me.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
One of the critique's I had with Shero back in his Pens days was acquiring Doug Murray for two (I think?) 2nd round picks. Murray was terrible at the time, but I only knew that because the Sharks are my second favorite team. A lot of people gave him a hard time for Iginla, but that was certainly not a bad trade. The Pens were a win-now team and when you're a win-now team, you trade for a guy like Iginla. No questions asked. I think bringing back Bylsma after that ECF sweep was something that shouldn't have happened too.

But I think we can all agree that a GM and coaches alike, all have an expiration date and Shero was there for 8 years at the time of his firing. So being fired doesn't necessarily mean one's career is over. Any GM that is on their second NHL GM job (even Lou) has pretty much been fired already.

Blandisi is very fast, he's just not such a great skater at times. Not great in that he falls down a lot. Not that he's slow. He could work on his skating a bit, his speed is fine. He's young and small too. I'm actually surprised to see that he's listed as 6 foot and 200 pounds. I actually thought he was 5 foot 10-ish and maybe around 180. He appears small to me.

Yeah, that 2013 team had some great talent, but no speed. I think that's what killed us against the Bruins that year, we just couldn't get any odd man rushes on them, and then Rask would close the door whenever we did get a chance.

I could see Blandisi falling a lot, some of our speedsters like Rust & Sheary fell down a lot also, but I would still take that every once in a while for the way they create odd man rushes.

I'm really surprised to hear that Blandisi is that big, makes sense why we had so much trouble stopping him when he went streaking into our zone along the halfboards.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
They are now considered UFAs. Any team can talk to them as its the negotiation window. Only the Devils can sign them until July 1st.. when anyone can sign them.

so yea we still have their rights but they are basically UFAs

Tailfins has it correctly. Players that don't receive a QO become UFA's immediately once the QO deadline passes. The Devils no longer hold any rights to Bennett or the other non-QO players as of yesterday.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Tailfins has it correctly. Players that don't receive a QO become UFA's immediately once the QO deadline passes. The Devils no longer hold any rights to Bennett or the other non-QO players as of yesterday.

Someone (I think it was Gross) said we still technically hold their rights till July 1.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

That doesn't make any sense. If they were UFA's immediately, they should be eligible to sign with other teams right away. They're not.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Someone (I think it was Gross) said we still technically hold their rights till July 1.

Here's the relevant CBA section:
CBA 10.2(a)(iv) In the event a Prior Club fails to make a Qualifying Offer as set forth in this Section 10.2 and fails to elect salary arbitration pursuant to Section 12.3(a), the Player shall immediately become an Unrestricted Free Agent and shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with any such Player, without penalty or restriction or being subject to any Right of First Refusal, Draft Choice Compensation, or any other compensation or equalization obligation of any kind.

That doesn't make any sense. If they were UFA's immediately, they should be eligible to sign with other teams right away. They're not.

Most likely no team (including the Devils) can sign him until July 1st as there's a general requirement that SPC's have to include the current season, which doesn't start until July 1st. There are some exceptions to this rule such as signing extensions, players on a team's reserve list (usually draft rights), and draft-related UFA signing windows (especially for European players).

I don't believe Bennett would fall under any exceptions, although I seem to recall some years back there was a buyout player that signed with a new team before July 1st, so there may be some additional wrinkles in how the NHL applies the rule.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I feel like Ray is going to punch all the RFA deals (except Palmieri) out at once. Merrill, DSP, and bennett will probably all be announced at once.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
What a great situation for Bennett this is, made even better after the Hall acquisition. Even less pressure. If we wanna keep Zajac and Palms together Beau could be skating with Hall and Henrique. Unreal opportunity.

Crosby87Domi11

Jan 29, 2013
Locust Grove,VA
What a great situation for Bennett this is, made even better after the Hall acquisition. Even less pressure. If we wanna keep Zajac and Palms together Beau could be skating with Hall and Henrique. Unreal opportunity.

I'll be the first to admit I'm new to the Devils fan base (via the Bennett trade.........) and I don't know much about the team as a whole yet, but from what I *have* learned the last few days, those could be incredible combos.

(On that note, anyone can feel free to fill me in on the Devils so I have a clue going into next year.)

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'll be the first to admit I'm new to the Devils fan base (via the Bennett trade.........) and I don't know much about the team as a whole yet, but from what I *have* learned the last few days, those could be incredible combos.

On that note, anyone can feel free to fill me in on the Devils, I need to know who I'm rooting for next year.

Well if you haven't heard the news we traded for some kid named Taylor Hall haha.

Hall easily becomes the best forward on the team and the guy to look out for the most.

Odds are he will link up with his old Windser team mate Adam Henrique and this could certainly take Rico's game to the next level.

You know have a potential Camm-Zajac-Palms like that will be a ***** for any team to play against and should score a good amount of goals (two 30 goal scorers at Zajac's wing could help him have his best season since parise left).

Have to see where DSP and Beau fits in and who takes that top 6 RW spot. Zacha will be another kid to look out for. Tons of talent and will be looking to make an impact.

On defense Severson now comes into the limelight. The kid has all the tools to be a top Dman, but he is also very young. Flip side Andy Greene can make a traffic cone look like a great D.

Interesting young kid who is going to have a long look at camp is Steve Santini. This kid projects to be the modern day version of the old school shut down D. Brings all the physical tools but can skate and isn't a grenade handler.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I would imagine this would be attempted at some point:

Hall - Henrique - Bennett
Cammalleri - Zajac - Palmieri

If Bennett could click alongside those two, he could be in for a massive season. Same goes for DSP to be honest.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Bennett is very good player if he's healthy. If he manages to stay healthy we could be in for a treat this year with him.

Playing with Hall and Rico would be huge for his development. Obviously it's not Malkin or Crosby but it's not too far off at this point.

Crosby87Domi11

Jan 29, 2013
Locust Grove,VA
Well if you haven't heard the news we traded for some kid named Taylor Hall haha.

Hall easily becomes the best forward on the team and the guy to look out for the most.

Odds are he will link up with his old Windser team mate Adam Henrique and this could certainly take Rico's game to the next level.

You know have a potential Camm-Zajac-Palms like that will be a ***** for any team to play against and should score a good amount of goals (two 30 goal scorers at Zajac's wing could help him have his best season since parise left).

Have to see where DSP and Beau fits in and who takes that top 6 RW spot. Zacha will be another kid to look out for. Tons of talent and will be looking to make an impact.

On defense Severson now comes into the limelight. The kid has all the tools to be a top Dman, but he is also very young. Flip side Andy Greene can make a traffic cone look like a great D.

Interesting young kid who is going to have a long look at camp is Steve Santini. This kid projects to be the modern day version of the old school shut down D. Brings all the physical tools but can skate and isn't a grenade handler.

Thank you for this "idiots guide to the New Jersey Devils"

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lmao. I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Everyone (that I've met anyway) is so much more welcoming than certain other fanbases.

I've been lurking since Saturday night to be honest
I love your use of iPhone emoji's on this board. I'm not a huge emoji user, as I feel they're something that a lot of young kids love to use. But I do love to use this guy

The day I found out that I could use him on hfboards, I became very happy and started using him in every message. He used to be my avatar before the playoffs and I changed to a Sharks one because they're my second favorite team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad