Confirmed with Link: Devils to sign Paul Thompson to NHL Deal

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Perfect. RH shot, low risk high reward potential bottom 6 forward. He's earned it.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Meh....he had 15 points in 69 games last season and wasn't much better in his season before that.

I know he's tied for 2nd in the league in goals... just not all that impressed...he's tied with Bobby Butler in goals after all.

But he did have 20 goals a couple seasons back. And with Thompson, as opposed to Butler, I think the idea is he can contribute in ways other then scoring.

IMO, given the current state of fwd's in the Devils org, this is a "why the heck not?" type move.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
But he did have 20 goals a couple seasons back. And with Thompson, as opposed to Butler, I think the idea is he can contribute in ways other then scoring.

IMO, given the current state of fwd's in the Devils org, this is a "why the heck not?" type move.

While playing at New Hampshire in college he was a nice two-way player and was one of the prized college free agent signings coming out. This has potential to turn into something.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
While playing at New Hampshire in college he was a nice two-way player and was one of the prized college free agent signings coming out. This has potential to turn into something.

Teams seem to find unknown gems. Between Thompson and Blandisi hopefully it's our turn for some pleasant surprises.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I'm skeptical of Thompson's ability to translate his success to the NHL, but make no mistake, he's been one of the best forwards in the AHL this year. 22nd in the league in points, and I believe he was 3rd in goals last I checked. And that's on a team that's been desperately struggling to score for long stretches of the season.

Bottom line: this is the kind of player I'd want fighting over depth spots in camp and I'm really glad he's getting this opportunity.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Considering how much the Devils need forwards, I'm all for this and look forward to him getting his shot.

Not sure we I want him to have a "shot" over Boucher, Matteau or Coleman, maybe even someone like Ben Thomson, Blandisi or Pietila in a limited 4th line role late next year after a bit of time in the AHL....maybe even I'd want Kelly Zajac to get a "shot" too...

Wait, did I just name 7, 8 if you count Thompson, forwards that could possibly play next season ?

Good thing we don't have any forwards.

elindholm

Jun 3, 2013
Meh....he had 15 points in 69 games last season and wasn't much better in his season before that.

I know he's tied for 2nd in the league in goals... just not all that impressed...he's tied with Bobby Butler in goals after all.

Then again we don't know where he was on the depth chart for last year or how he was used. PP time?
checking role? In Albany players shift lines like crazy. Kawalsky changes lines at every practice. (so you don't get comfy on a specific line) Not sure how that translates into 'development".

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Thompson's shot generation impresses me. He's always around the puck.

He also has a strong enough physical and grinding game to be useful if he isn't scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad