Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Anytime you can create assets out of nothing it is a good situation.

Depends. Player has to contribute enough to be able to be an asset or get us extra picks at the deadline and can't be a locker room cancer.

Things Semin could be.

One kf the reasons I wanted nothing to do with MSL. Rookie coach and a young team. Don't want his cranky ass in that locker room.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
I wouldn't. Best not to expect anything right now.

Shero seems shrewd in wanting to make sure we get fair deals and I get the impression he sees value in keeping the defense together for now barring the right deal.

I know I just like getting excited about the thought of things that probably won't happen :laugh:

Cammalleri-Zajac-Boedker
Henrique-Zacha-Palmieri

:yo:

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Depends. Player has to contribute enough to be able to be an asset or get us extra picks at the deadline and can't be a locker room cancer.

Things Semin could be.

One kf the reasons I wanted nothing to do with MSL. Rookie coach and a young team. Don't want his cranky ass in that locker room.

Fair point about the potential character concerns with Semin. I didn't really consider that.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Didn't read that. I don't see how he gets any kind of real money staying here though.

Why would anyone want to pay outside of a floor team?

Well we qualify for that atm lol

But it doesn't seem like Shero wants to sign any stopgaps period, and Semin would be that at best too.

DirtyJerzey

Oct 19, 2013
Only that he says he'll take a one-year deal and isn't considering the KHL this season

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...ng-for-a-one-year-deal-not-interested-in-khl/

I doubt he's getting the $7 million he got last time either. I'm not big on signing him at any price tbh considering his rep and declining production but a one-year deal is the only chance really to get the best out of him.

thats "further" thanks im just curious on what might happen with this dude. anything that could help us i will take

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Or he could be like Ryder, play like crap, ***** about playing time, and not be worth anything at the deadline.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Would you buy a second/third round pick in next years draft for around $2-$4million?

I know I would, and that's essentially what you might be able to do with Semin.

Or we could have another untradable Ryder who is even more cranky when we scratch him.

I would want to be cautious with him. Trust Shero would go into a signing feeling confident he will buy in and not float.

Not sure it matters because I could see a floor team giving him 5 or 5.5 just to get above the floor.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
or he could be the missing key to a new system with a **** ton of new guys

More likely not to be this. Guy hasn't done much recently to inspire any sort of confidence he could be a "missing piece".

Plus we aren't in a missing key place a team anyway. We are still building and Semin isn't someone you build with.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I wish Semin WAS going to the KHL lol, it's been three straight years of an obsession with him here and it'll probably be another when he's a FA again after next season :laugh:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I wish Semin WAS going to the KHL lol, it's been three straight years of an obsession with him here and it'll probably be another when he's a FA again after next season :P

Or we just sign him. He sucks and then we can all move on.

I didn't like him when he was in shero's current age range. I like him even less now. I just don't see value there. I see another band aide.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Or we just sign him. He sucks and then we can all move on.

I didn't like him when he was in shero's current age range. I like him even less now. I just don't see value there. I see another band aide.

Or he'd sign here, produce on a one-year deal and then there'd be a new round of criticisms when we trade him/he leaves in the offseason like there has been with Gomez :popcorn:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Or he'd sign here, produce on a one-year deal and then there'd be a new round of criticisms when we trade him/he leaves in the offseason like there has been with Gomez :popcorn:

I feel good about the fact he would literally waste space in the booth but ya that could happen too.

Much rather Shero on the horn looking to steal a RFA like Kyle again from a cap strapped team.

Have to find one that wants defense or our picks. Right now no one wants our forwards until they prove something at one of the pro levels.

DirtyJerzey

Oct 19, 2013
Right, just like he was the missing key in Carolina...

im not denying his history but like someone posted earlier in the thread, there are way to many variables and " what ifs " to claim truth to any opinion. all we have is past records and speculation. we honestly have no idea how these new faces and new system will react. waaaay to many people need to establish themselves, ALONG with our coaching staff. am i being optimistic? Abso****INGlutley i am ! i refuse to accept things and throw in the towel, i see nothing but up from here on out ( just ask Devils X he will tell ya )

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
im not denying his history but like someone posted earlier in the thread, there are way to many variables and " what ifs " to claim truth to any opinion. all we have is past records and speculation. we honestly have no idea how these new faces and new system will react. waaaay to many people need to establish themselves, ALONG with our coaching staff. am i being optimistic? Abso****INGlutley i am ! i refuse to accept things and throw in the towel, i see nothing but up from here on out ( just ask Devils X he will tell ya )

Not signing Semin doesn't mean the team is throwing in the towel. That isn't what is happening this year at all even if we don't make another move.

The team is going to go out there, put a system in place and try to win every game they can. Shero and the coaching staff is going to see if they can get gems out of any of these kids that are all flooding into Albany this year.

Its not a tank. Its a development year to let the D continue to grow, see if some of our younger forwards (JJ) can grow and if we have anything in the kids coming up.

If some of these kids don't step up then one extra borderline RW like Semin isn't going to change our fortunes. What our next moves long term are depend on what we have and don't have with the prospects coming up this and next year.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
No way. If the deal is not tradable I don't even want to touch it.

For one year? Who cares...worst case he plays out the year. If he's doing well at the deadline his contract will be tradable at almost any amount. It's already a sunk cost, we have plenty of cap space, and can retain to make a deal happen.

Semin isn't really someone I want to sign, but I can see the logic for a 1-year deal to fill a RW spot.

DirtyJerzey

Oct 19, 2013
Not signing Semin doesn't mean the team is throwing in the towel. That isn't what is happening this year at all even if we don't make another move.

The team is going to go out there, put a system in place and try to win every game they can. Shero and the coaching staff is going to see if they can get gems out of any of these kids that are all flooding into Albany this year.

Its not a tank. Its a development year to let the D continue to grow, see if some of our younger forwards (JJ) can grow and if we have anything in the kids coming up.

If some of these kids don't step up then one extra borderline RW like Semin isn't going to change our fortunes. What our next moves long term are depend on what we have and don't have with the prospects coming up this and next year.

thats understandable, im just overly optimistic. semin for a year wont hurt

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
thats understandable, im just overly optimistic. semin for a year wont hurt

Be optimistic that someone like Coleman can crack the lineup and surprise, or that someone like Blandasi, Kahlin, Kuja, can slot into that RW spot and make Semin irrelevant. Or that JJ is going to find his game and break out this year. Same with Lars and company on the blueline.

That is where I am putting my optimism, though I would like another Kyle like trade for a young forward we would have under control.

If some of these things happen our future looks a LOT brighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad