Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Carrying over the Frolik discussion

2) Heck no to Semin and Frolik will price himself out for what he is. He apparently turned down 4.5 mil from Winnepeg. It is insane that a secondary scorer is going to get over 5 mil on the market.

- Devin Setoguchi
Only 28 years old and has scored more than 20 goals twice and 30 goals once. I know his game has fallen off lately but it wouldn't take much to get him and see if he sticks as a 3rd line RW. Still young enough to take a look

People get way too caught up in the numbers. 5 million now is not a lot at all.

When Zubrus signed his six year 3.4 million dollar deal, the cap ceiling was 50.4 million. The next year, the cap rose to 56.7 million and then 56.8. That was 6.75 % of the cap in his first year and then 6% the second and third year.

If Frolik signs for five million, with a 71.4 million cap ceiling, that's exactly 7 percent of the cap. Essentially, 5 million now is 3.4 million eight years ago.

A Frolik deal would probably wind up like Zubrus's first contract with us...scary long (and like Zubrus, Frolik would be asked to do too much his first year or two here) but surprisingly the contract gets justified by the end of the deal.

I think that horse might be out of the barn though if he really does have a preference for Montreal.

This absolutely. But you can't deny that Zubrus was both an integral and reliable forward in all of those teams during his initial contract.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
13 hours and 30 minutes to go. :handclap:

To what though lol...the MOST I can see the Devils doing is Frolik/Oduya, and that might even be a stretch. Shero might really not want a d-man and Frolik may want to go to Montreal.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
To what though lol...the MOST I can see the Devils doing is Frolik/Oduya, and that might even be a stretch. Shero might really not want a d-man and Frolik may want to go to Montreal.

Once Devils hockey ends, I savor anything resembling hockey news.

Devils development camps, free agency, draft, WJC evaluation camps, just about anything will do.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
We have been saying for weeks we want to add another forward, someone to play the winger, well 2 players really but we added Palmieri. Im not sure where that guys fits in. Because it seems they want to give they young guys a chance also. If you add a forward he will be blocking someones chance.

Now im not saying we shouldnt add someone like Frolik or Semin (1 year only) or Stalberg (2 years max) but any forward we add in a way blocks someone this season.

Right now we have, Elias, Zajac, Camm, Henrique, Palmieri, Josefson, Zubrus, Ruutu, Tootoo, and Gio. Then toss in Matteau and Boucher because it appears they will get solid looks with the NHL team. Thats 12 forwards right there. Not including Zacha, Kalinin, Coleman, Blandisi, or any other younger guys thats likely going to the AHL but still has chance.

So lets just add Kalinin and Zacha to the main list that 14 forwards. If we add another forward thats 15 guys and it puts you in a spot where even if a guy like Kalinin or Zacha or Boucher proves he should be on the roster there is not much you can do and you have to send them down. Thats blocking a spot.

Its an interesting situation. But i almost think if you add someone you need to figure out a way to move Zubrus or Ruutu or someone from the forward corps.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 31s31 seconds ago
Sounds like Montreal will be focusing on Beleskey and Frolik. May get 1. May get neither. But they'll try.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
We have been saying for weeks we want to add another forward, someone to play the winger, well 2 players really but we added Palmieri. Im not sure where that guys fits in. Because it seems they want to give they young guys a chance also. If you add a forward he will be blocking someones chance.

Now im not saying we shouldnt add someone like Frolik or Semin (1 year only) or Stalberg (2 years max) but any forward we add in a way blocks someone this season.

Right now we have, Elias, Zajac, Camm, Henrique, Palmieri, Josefson, Zubrus, Ruutu, Tootoo, and Gio. Then toss in Matteau and Boucher because it appears they will get solid looks with the NHL team. Thats 12 forwards right there. Not including Zacha, Kalinin, Coleman, Blandisi, or any other younger guys thats likely going to the AHL but still has chance.

So lets just add Kalinin and Zacha to the main list that 14 forwards. If we add another forward thats 15 guys and it puts you in a spot where even if a guy like Kalinin or Zacha or Boucher proves he should be on the roster there is not much you can do and you have to send them down. Thats blocking a spot.

Its an interesting situation. But i almost think if you add someone you need to figure out a way to move Zubrus or Ruutu or someone from the forward corps.

To be honest, I'm only considered about fitting Ruutu or Zubrus into the NHL team and same goes for Tootoo or Gionta. One player from each of those pairs can be the 13th or 14th forward ideally. That leaves us with:

Cammalleri - Zajac - 1RW
Henrique - Josefson - Palmieri
Elias - 3C - 3RW
Zubrus - 4C - Gionta
Ruutu - Tootoo

Players competing for 1RW -- Boucher, Matteau, UFA or Trade Acquisition, Kalinin, or Palmieri moving up.
Players competing for 3RW -- Same as above and maybe Thompson
Players competing for 3C - Zacha, Kalinin, maybe Josefson if Elias/Henrique shifts to 2C and the LWs move up.
Players competing for 4C - Coleman, Kalinin, Gionta, outside shot at a guy like Pietila.

There is still plenty of room even with the acquisition of one RW.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 31s31 seconds ago
Sounds like Montreal will be focusing on Beleskey and Frolik. May get 1. May get neither. But they'll try.

The Fourth Period just throws **** at the wall and hopes its sticks.

If one of those guys signs, it's a "hey look at me I'm reputable" when I could've guessed the same thing.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I almost don't want to make a GDT. That's how much this free agency sucks. But with the crazy trades and potential drama of offer sheets. Might make one in the morning.

kiwidevil

Don't want anyone in FA. Apart from taking a top 6 forward on a chance 1 year deal.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
I don't see shero offering more than 4.75 for frolik....were interested but I don't think we're gonna be fighting anyone to get him

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
I think Shero is gonna wait until he sees what other teams get, then trade based off of what needs they didn't receive on July 1st.

I really wish we could've picked up saad, but that return is something we could definitely not afford to match.

mamfredo8

Apr 30, 2014
Cologne
Chicago isn't done imo. They have enough young forwards (Teuravainen, Panarin, Hartman, Dano) to step right in. And there are still close to the cap and have to sign Kruger, a backup and add one 5-6 d-men (don't think, the will run with Johns, van Riemsdyk and Rundblad as 4-6 d-men).

There should be a chance

a) to get Versteeg for cheap
b) to take Bickell of there hands if they add Ryan Hartman:naughty:

I would go with Bickell, cause we need another LW (if Henrique should play center) who should play 2nd or 3rd line. I know, he is more of a 3rd liner but with the addition of Hartman (send them Chatham back and a late pick) I would go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad