Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Merrill isn't a guy you put on a third pairing. He needs top 4 minutes.

Merrill should be traded. I'd hate to lose him, but an upgrade at F position is past overdue.

If you sign Oduya, what that says to Merrill is to force Oduya down to third string.

Merrill can absolutely play top-four minutes, he proved it in his first year here. However, I want to see him earning that spot, not it being gifted to him.

Plus, being on the third pairing can help him work his game up against lesser competition and get him some confidence.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
On another note, anybody have any ideas on things to do over the summer to kill time around here.

Once the free agency settles down and we get to know the drafted prospects a little better, I will probably do a daily poll ranking all of our prospects. It'll be interesting to see how people here think about our prospects.

IcedMaidenDeth

Feb 7, 2010
New Jersey
On another note, anybody have any ideas on things to do over the summer to kill time around here.

We could always watch playoff games from the years we won (on GameCenter) and make a GDT about it so we can all watch together and reminisce and/or complain about how our current team is nothing like our previous teams. Idk.

NJD Kula

THE SPITFIRES LINE
Jan 16, 2009
По&#1082
www.rshl.org
Can definitely see Paul Martin coming back with Shero already knowing what he's about. If they had a positive relationship I can see Paul choosing the Devils.

Don't know if I'd want Oduya back, he's benefited greatly from the Hawks being an awesome team, how much does he actually have left? I doubt he takes a discount deal either, other teams will be on him. History wise you know he's good enough to play so he'll be bumping youngsters out. Caveat: if he's bumping Fraser out then hell ya let's get him!

Greene
Martin
Larsson
Severson
Merrill
^This is a solid d-corps then add Oduya/Gelinas/Santini

If Santini is a knockout at camp would love to see him too, wow what a group. Oduya could be insurance. Gelinas doesn't really fit in any more unless one of Merrill or Severson is dealt or we convert to forward.

MUCH AWESOME

MANY SALIVATING

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Can definitely see Paul Martin coming back with Shero already knowing what he's about. If they had a positive relationship I can see Paul choosing the Devils.

Don't know if I'd want Oduya back, he's benefited greatly from the Hawks being an awesome team, how much does he actually have left? I doubt he takes a discount deal either, other teams will be on him. History wise you know he's good enough to play so he'll be bumping youngsters out. Caveat: if he's bumping Fraser out then hell ya let's get him!

Greene
Martin
Larsson
Severson
Merrill

If Santini is a knockout at camp would love to see him too, wow what a group. Oduya could be insurance. Gelinas doesn't really fit in any more unless one of Merrill or Severson is dealt or we convert to forward.

MUCH AWESOME

MANY SALIVATING

Paul Martin will want too much money from the Devils Shero won't sign. Just saying.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't know why people assume Shero still likes Martin, he was largely a disappointment in Pittsburgh.

NJRockinRoller

May 14, 2014
The UFA class of 2016 looks at this point to be outstanding. Surely many, if not most, names will be chopped from that list (Stamkos/Kopitar would be nice!) but there is definite opportunity available there.

Clearly the best interests of the organization would be to draft a Top 6 forward in this draft, be bad enough to get a top pick and a high impact Top 6 forward next draft and invest in at least one high impact UFA (even if overpayment is necessary considering NJ is not a top flite destination).

I've been as negative as anybody about how long this is going to take but by good drafting, developing the defense, being careful with cap space and one more year of being bad - this can be a dynamic team in 2017. It could happen that quickly.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Greene
Martin
Larsson
Severson
Merrill

MUCH AWESOME

MANY SALIVATING

I didn't even bother to look at the link, but just from watching these playoffs, Oduya is an outstanding defenseman. In a lot of ways, he is very like Greene. He gets the job done and he's effective and reliable. Exactly the type of defenseman you want to with a bunch of young guys around.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
The UFA class of 2016 looks at this point to be outstanding. Surely many, if not most, names will be chopped from that list (Stamkos/Kopitar would be nice!) but there is definite opportunity available there.

Clearly the best interests of the organization would be to draft a Top 6 forward in this draft, be bad enough to get a top pick and a high impact Top 6 forward next draft and invest in at least one high impact UFA (even if overpayment is necessary considering NJ is not a top flite destination).

I've been as negative as anybody about how long this is going to take but by good drafting, developing the defense, being careful with cap space and one more year of being bad - this can be a dynamic team in 2017. It could happen that quickly.

The Devils shouldn’t be overly aggressive in free agency this offseason since there are few options available and they don’t want to get into a bad situation with long-term contracts. Unless the Devils trade for some big contracts, they should be in good shape to be aggressive in the 2016 offseason to grab a good player or two (if they reach free agency).

I disagree that it’s in the Devils best interests to be bad next season though – a new GM and new coach are not going to be on board with basically tanking, nor will ownership be happy if there isn’t some improvement next season (not just in the standings, but in the long-term outlook of the organization – i.e., better prospect pool and development of younger players). After finishing 7th worse overall, if the Devils regress next year that’s a serious red flag for the new management.

The Devils have to make progress next season towards becoming a playoff team – we need to see the defense continue to evolve and have some hope on offense. If you want to attract free agents next year, it also helps if you’re progressing towards being a playoff team. Also, with the changes to the draft lottery next season there’s no guarantee of getting a great pick even if the team does stink (which it won’t with Schneider).

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
The Devils shouldn’t be overly aggressive in free agency this offseason since there are few options available and they don’t want to get into a bad situation with long-term contracts. Unless the Devils trade for some big contracts, they should be in good shape to be aggressive in the 2016 offseason to grab a good player or two (if they reach free agency).

I disagree that it’s in the Devils best interests to be bad next season though – a new GM and new coach are not going to be on board with basically tanking, nor will ownership be happy if there isn’t some improvement next season (not just in the standings, but in the long-term outlook of the organization – i.e., better prospect pool and development of younger players). After finishing 7th worse overall, if the Devils regress next year that’s a serious red flag for the new management.

The Devils have to make progress next season towards becoming a playoff team – we need to see the defense continue to evolve and have some hope on offense. If you want to attract free agents next year, it also helps if you’re progressing towards being a playoff team. Also, with the changes to the draft lottery next season there’s no guarantee of getting a great pick even if the team does stink (which it won’t with Schneider).

I never advocate tanking but I have no reason to believe right now that we will be anything close to a playoff team next year so it is what it is.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Tanking is silly. I get the idea of grabbing the top-end talent, but you measure year-to-year progress by winning games.

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
We will never tank. Period. Besides, with the new lottery system in place next season, there is virtually no incentive to tank. I am not expecting the playoffs next season in any way. I just want to see the organization improve as a whole by showing that they recognize the problems we have and are doing what is in the best interests of the team for the long term. To this point, they have done that very well and as long as they continue to move in that direction, as a fan I will be patient and happy.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I never advocate tanking but I have no reason to believe right now that we will be anything close to a playoff team next year so it is what it is.

Agreed - realistically I don't think we'll be a playoff team next year. I just don't think that not doing well and getting a high draft pick is the best case scenario for the team. Ideally, we're much more competitive and maybe come close to a playoff spot and maybe we win the lottery and get a top 3 pick or make a good selection with a low to mid round first.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

Once the free agency settles down and we get to know the drafted prospects a little better, I will probably do a daily poll ranking all of our prospects. It'll be interesting to see how people here think about our prospects.

ive got a thread idea but saving until the offseason when things are slow(er)

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Okay.

Five future top9.

#6 should be a top line player, maybe 2nd line. Depending (obviously) on who we draft in the 2nd, I believe there's another top6 player. The other 2nd could yield a lower (3-4 line) complementary player.

Keep in mind, Philly pulled Richards and Carter out of the same draft as did Anaheim grab Getzlaf and Perry. I'm not expecting or asking the team to draft the next Ducks Duo, I'd be happy with players who can take on tough minutes and produce.

This type of optimism is nice, but it's unrealistic for the most part. You're cherry picking from some very bare trees. It's more likely we hit on one player and nothing more than any other possibility. Yes, it's possible we get more than that, but to state "I believe there's another top 6" from the 2nd round and that we're the team to draft that guy, is overly optimistic. It would be a very successful draft if we pulled two players from it that became full time productive NHL players at some point.

It's also worth pointing out here that this franchise has not had much success lately drafting forwards in the first round. The last one we hit on was Parise, now 12 years ago with the book still being written on Josefson and Matteau, neither of whom are likely to be major offensive contributors in their careers. The one other bright spot is Henrique, a 3rd rounder. Its far too early to even guess definitively on Boucher and Quenneville. David Conte is still head of scouting and his word goes a long way unless Shero has his own inkling.

As long as #6 is a hit, this draft will be a win for us. The 2nds have a good chance of being strong though and the possibilities can't be ruled out, but more teams have wholly mediocre drafts than good ones year to year because so many draftees just never make it.

GhostofKenKlee

I want PaulMart back so I can talk Neil Young at meet and greets with again. Oduya would be awesome.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad