Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
if they want defensive help. he's stuck behind RNH and McDavid there, probably wouldn't be the wisest to have him as 3C when they have a glaring need for defensive help. Unless they want to move him to wing but they have to improve their defense somehow.

They won't give up a very talented young center that easily, not right away anyway.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Because it is a piss poor way to run a team.

Good grief it is not. Taking the chance to add a top young talent to a rebuilding team is not piss poor. If there's no young top forward available for Greene, we hold onto him for all the reasons mentioned. If there is, you add a long term solution to an area of serious need and find another way to 'mentor and protect' the young defense. Greene is important but not irreplaceable. That's in no way selling him short.

The team needs to find creative solutions considering the hole they've dug for themselves.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
If you want to be like Buffalo or Edmonton, basically a joke of a franchise, the butt end of all quips, then you trade away players like Greene. The rebuild gets accomplished eventually, maybe.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
the funny thing is both the Devils and Sabres have missed the playoffs 4 out of the past 5 years. and somehow the devils are so far above the likes of them.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
the funny thing is both the Devils and Sabres have missed the playoffs 4 out of the past 5 years. and somehow the devils are so far above the likes of them.

And Buffalo is well on their way to getting back to being a decent team

We're a long ways away

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

if you're talking about now and the future, yea the devils aren't far off from the Sabres. you can appreciate the success this team has had over 10 years ago which is perfectly fine but it doesn't change the fact where it is right now. People on this board act as if the devils are so far above the Sabres because the Devils finished closer to eighth place than the Sabres did the last two years.

Sabres made the playoffs in 10-11, missed it the next four years.
Devils missed 10-11, made it 11-12, missed it the next three years.

But the Sabres now have Eichel, Kane, Reinhart, Girgensons, and Ennis. With probably Babcock as their coach and similarly to the Devils they have some good young D with Ristolainen and Zadorov. They don't have a goalie like Schneider though but the difference in the forward core is crazy.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Creating a winning team is more than simply acquiring a bunch of shiny prospects. Everybody creams their pants over the prospects teams like Edmonton and Buffalo have, yet they still haven't accomplished a god damn thing.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Creating a winning team is more than simply acquiring a bunch of shiny prospects. Everybody creams their pants over the prospects teams like Edmonton and Buffalo have, yet they still haven't accomplished a god damn thing.

I'd much rather have either of those rosters. Now they have arguably the 2 biggest free agent coaches going there. We have a long ways to go.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'd much rather have either of those rosters. Now they have arguably the 2 biggest free agent coaches going there. We have a long ways to go.

Their rosters are the reverse of ours. Forwards (mostly prospects in Buffalo's case) with holes on defense and in net.

Also if Buffalo is signing Babcock the money they spent is apparently insane. Definitely more then any other coach ever.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
I feel an Anaheim build is what we should be trying to achieve, but it would require us to hit a couple homers with draft picks. They've got a great young defense. Which we have too.

Also, their forward core doesn't consist of too much other than good depth and responsible two-way players. They had just 3 guys notch over 40 points (Getzlaf, Perry, and Kesler... no surprise, with Silfverberg having 39.)

You hope to get your future Getzlaf and Perry in this draft. If not both, then hopefully one, and the other in the next draft. Henrique could easily be that #3 punch like Kesler, as he produced well his rookie year behind/with Kovy and Parise. You draft a decent playmaker in this draft and Boucher could see Silfverberg production, 40-50 point seasons with 25 goals. Matteau is your Maroon, Coleman could become your Beleskey, Quenneville is your Rakell, Josefson your Cogliano, Blandisi your Palmieri, Kujawinski your Etem. It requires these guys to reach their potentials, but I don't think these are the steepest ceilings for these guys to hit. Will any of these guys amount to Rakell, Silfverberg, Palmieri and Etem when those guys hit their primes? Probably not. That's what makes Anaheim pretty scary is that they're only gonna get better, but looking at our prospect pool, it's not impossible for the guys I mentioned to achieve similar production levels to what the Ducks comparables did this year. The Ducks as a team only got the top seed in the West, and are making a fairly decent cup run. The most difficult part is finding your top two offensive threats through the draft.

Last edited:

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Who said acquiring prospects is the only part of creating a team? There's way more to but it's a pretty important part though(maybe the most important).

See how the teams that are in the conference finals are built.

Tampa-
Drafted- Stamkos, Killorn, Palat, Kucherov, Paquette, Namestnikov, Drouin, Hedman, Nesterov, Barberio, Vasilevsky
Undrafted free agents- Johnson, JT Brown, Sustr
UFA- Filppula, Boyle, Stralman, Carle, Morrow, Marchessault
Traded for- Callahan, Garrison, Bishop, Coburn

NYR-
Drafted-Lundqvist, Kreider, Stepan, Hagelin, Miller, Staal, Fast
Undrafted free agents- Girardi, Talbot
UFA- Boyle, Hayes, Moore, Glass
Traded for- Nash, Mcdonagh(acquired by trading a proven player for a prospect), Brassard, Yandle, Klein, St.Louis, Sheppard

Anaheim-
Drafted- Getzlaf, Perry, Beleskey, Palmieri, Rakell, Etem, Lindholm, Fowler, Vatanen, Andersen, Gibson, Etem
Traded for- Maroon, Silfverberg, Cogliano, Thompson, Beauchimin, Kesler, Sekac, Despres, Wisniewski
UFA- Stoner

Chicago-
Drafted- Saad, Toews, Bickell, Kane, Teravainen, Kruger, Shaw, Keith, Hjalmarsson, Seabrook, Crawford
Traded for- Sharp, Desjardins, Oduya, Vermette, Rundblad, Timonen
UFA- Hossa, Richards

So those 'shiny' prospects do matter because you need a lot of them to turn out and even if you look at the trades you see those young guys going the other way so it is very important to have a good collection of them both for your roster and to acquire pieces you need through trade because from the above it shows that drafting and trades are the most important. Not sure why some of you just scoff at it or don't understand why people see the need to acquire them. The very foundation of your team is built through acquiring these young guys whether its by draft, trades, or some undrafted free agent, it forms the base.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Well if you stink in the right year sure...it's no coincidence Edmonton got Chia/MacLellan while Buffalo got Babcock the year they're both getting a piece of McEichel. I do wonder how different things would look for the Oilers if they didn't luck into McDavid though? What the Sabres did to get Eichel was despicable and I wouldn't advocate that for anyone, even if it looks like they'll win for losing.

Even stinking in the right year will require more luck going forward as the NHL goes to an NBA lottery system next year. The T'Wolves were the first team in a decade to get the #1 pick finishing last. And the Knicks got screwed out of the #2 slot getting bumped all the way to #4 :laugh: Get used to that here. We could finish with the worst record next year and get the #4 pick.

That's been true in the past but McEichel are franchise-changers...you already see that with what's happened this offseason. I'm not a sky is falling person but I'd bet vCash both have better records than us next year. Especially now that Buffalo will deign to find a goalie.

Last edited:

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Who said acquiring prospects is the only part of creating a team? There's way more to but it's a pretty important part though(maybe the most important).

See how the teams that are in the conference finals are built.

Tampa-
Drafted- Stamkos, Killorn, Palat, Kucherov, Paquette, Namestnikov, Drouin, Hedman, Nesterov, Barberio, Vasilevsky
Undrafted free agents- Johnson, JT Brown, Sustr
UFA- Filppula, Boyle, Stralman, Carle, Morrow, Marchessault
Traded for- Callahan, Garrison, Bishop, Coburn

NYR-
Drafted-Lundqvist, Kreider, Stepan, Hagelin, Miller, Staal, Fast
Undrafted free agents- Girardi, Talbot
UFA- Boyle, Hayes, Moore, Glass
Traded for- Nash, Mcdonagh(acquired by trading a proven player for a prospect), Brassard, Yandle, Klein, St.Louis, Sheppard

Anaheim-
Drafted- Getzlaf, Perry, Beleskey, Palmieri, Rakell, Etem, Lindholm, Fowler, Vatanen, Andersen, Gibson, Etem
Traded for- Maroon, Silfverberg, Cogliano, Thompson, Beauchimin, Kesler, Sekac, Despres, Wisniewski
UFA- Stoner

Chicago-
Drafted- Saad, Toews, Bickell, Kane, Teravainen, Kruger, Shaw, Keith, Hjalmarsson, Seabrook, Crawford
Traded for- Sharp, Desjardins, Oduya, Vermette, Rundblad, Timonen
UFA- Hossa, Richards

So those 'shiny' prospects do matter because you need a lot of them to turn out and even if you look at the trades you see those young guys going the other way so it is very important to have a good collection of them both for your roster and to acquire pieces you need through trade because from the above it shows that drafting and trades are the most important. Not sure why some of you just scoff at it or don't understand why people see the need to acquire them. The very foundation of your team is built through acquiring these young guys whether its by draft, trades, or some undrafted free agent, it forms the base.

Kreider was un-drafted I'm pretty sure.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I love how Edmonton and Buffalo are both on the same level. One is a stagnant pool of gross mismanagement that has made no attempt to better themselves in the last decade, the other one quite literally razed their team to the ground starting at ownership so they would have a clean slate.

Kreider was un-drafted I'm pretty sure.

NYR took him one pick before we grabbed Josefson.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I love how Edmonton and Buffalo are both on the same level. One is a stagnant pool of gross mismanagement that has made no attempt to better themselves in the last decade, the other one quite literally razed their team to the ground starting at ownership so they would have a clean slate.

NYR took him one pick before we grabbed Josefson.

I stand corrected... maybe he just elected to stay at college the full term?

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
CBJ fans threw this out on the main board (i'm sure some have seen)....thoughts?

6 OA + Merrill for 8 OA + Rychel + Anisimov

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
CBJ fans threw this out on the main board (i'm sure some have seen)....thoughts?

I'm really not happy at the thought of trading Merrill away, to be quite honest. He's already playing Top-4 minutes, while Rychel has only played 5 NHL games.

Maybe I'm being unrealistic, but if we're trading down from 6th OA I'd like to try and pick up another second rounder.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

Flip Rychel with Milano and I'm considering it.

Though like I've said a few times, if we do move back we will have to live with Barzal burning us for many seasons in Philly.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

I don't hate it. Even though I think Merrill will be a very good defenseman in this league, something needs to be done eventually and I think this is a good start. Wouldn't say yes right away, but it's a really good proposal.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Try to figure out and good solid draft. If Marner or Strome are gone:

1. Barzal: Center
Zacha: Center/Wing
Ranatanen: RW/Center

If we trade down. Kyle Connor: Center/Wing

2. Beauviller: C/LW - Colin White: C/RW
2A. Senyshyn: RW - Rosolvic: RW

3. Niku: Defense - Musil: C

4. Colton White: Defense - Jens Looke: RW

5. Markus Olson: Goalie - Nick McBride: Goalie

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Good grief it is not. Taking the chance to add a top young talent to a rebuilding team is not piss poor. If there's no young top forward available for Greene, we hold onto him for all the reasons mentioned. If there is, you add a long term solution to an area of serious need and find another way to 'mentor and protect' the young defense. Greene is important but not irreplaceable. That's in no way selling him short.

The team needs to find creative solutions considering the hole they've dug for themselves.

Bravo. And besides, if staying in NJ was so important to Andy then he could have asked for a NTC. Lou would have given it to him. He gave them out like candy. Anything and everything needs to be on the table for this team, but that doesn't mean you make every move that come along just for the sake of making it. If the proper return is there for Greene you trade him. If not, you don't. Re-sign Sal if you just want a "mentor" type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad