Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Fitz is going to go big game hunting at goalie this offseason. He's feeling the pressure so I fully expect one of the big names with smaller term to end up on the Devils. We're not going to settle with an Allen/Kahkonen type duo in 2024-25.

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
Fitz is going to go big game hunting at goalie this offseason. He's feeling the pressure so I fully expect one of the big names with smaller term to end up on the Devils. We're not going to settle with an Allen/Kahkonen type duo in 2024-25.
At the end of the day, I agree that people might as well not even hypothesize about anything but a somewhat sizable goalie move this summer.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Picking up multiple picks in addition to the goalie would be a good way to replenish the prospect pool, but I still feel there are better uses of both cap space and 10OA than two years of Markstrom. There's just not enough of a guarantee that he's that much better than what Kakhonen or a similar option could give us.

Fitzgerald has completed 4 full seasons as GM, and in 3 of those seasons, goaltending has been an enormous issue. He's tried some things that haven't worked out, but there is a miniscule chance he's going to go into next year with Allen/Kahkonen as his goaltending duo. He's going to want someone who has been a starter. There aren't any guarantees, but chances are that Allen/Kahkonen will just be pretty lousy.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah I get people gravitating toward Allen/Kahk because they’re the cheaper option and they did well enough in a small sample size, but we’re kind of glossing over the small sample size part and their own track records because of copium

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah I get people gravitating toward Allen/Kahk because they’re the cheaper option and they did well enough in a small sample size, but we’re kind of glossing over the small sample size part and their own track records because of copium

Also just no way we go the cheaper option again after it's blown up in our face nearly every year since Fitz took over.

He is going to want someone with an actual track record.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Fitzgerald has completed 4 full seasons as GM, and in 3 of those seasons, goaltending has been an enormous issue. He's tried some things that haven't worked out, but there is a miniscule chance he's going to go into next year with Allen/Kahkonen as his goaltending duo. He's going to want someone who has been a starter. There aren't any guarantees, but chances are that Allen/Kahkonen will just be pretty lousy.
I'm saying what I would do, not what I expect Fitz to do. He's painted himself into a corner with his comments at the trade deadline. He literally can't go into next year with that pairing without looking like a buffoon given he basically called Kakhonen a contract dump and insisted he's "big game hunting."

I, personally, think it's a bad move to trade our 1st for Markstrom, but if I had to weight odds for an opening day starter for us next season he would probably have the best. I'd rather try to sign Talbot if he hits UFA or give up what it takes for Saros, but neither of those seems nearly as likely as adding Markstrom.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I think there will also be a plan in place to work with the new coach on what he wants as well. That and the only real way we end up with a situation like Allen/Kahkonen again is if teams try to hold Fitz over the barrel and he refuses to pay the price. But, as I mentioned before, I think that pressure of not having the situation resolved will lean into him budging this time. Hopefully not too much but I'd expect one of Ullmark, Markstrom or Saros to be our goaltender in 2024-25.

I'd kill to have Askarov tho ha.

Reactions: Rhodes 81

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Chycurun, yeah. I know little about Samulesson but isn't he Buffalo's version of Siegs?
If Siegs was 2 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier. I posted it for discussion. Not sure I'd be willing to move 10 for any of them tbh. I'd need the extension from Chychrun before I made the move. I'm not interested in giving Theodore his next contract at all.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
If Siegs was 2 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier. I posted it for discussion. Not sure I'd be willing to move 10 for any of them tbh. I'd need the extension from Chychrun before I made the move. I'm not interested in giving Theodore his next contract at all.

Gotcha, ya I knew they played similar games but wasn't so sure about everything else. And agreed on both.

Reactions: beekay414

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Gotcha, ya I knew they played similar games but wasn't so sure about everything else. And agreed on both.
I think Samuelsson uses his body more than Siegs does tho, which is probably why Nichols is enticed by him. I think, however, 10th overall is far too pricey for someone of his style. I get that you're paying for the contract too but he's so one dimensional that you'd be overpaying for size at that point.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
GFhWgUdWUAAhVZh

Very difficult minutes on a not so good team with okay results. I could see him doing quite well on a 2nd pairing with Nemec. But I could also see Siegenthaler returning to form and doing that. Or at least I’m hoping he can do that.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Very difficult minutes on a not so good team with okay results. I could see him doing quite well on a 2nd pairing with Nemec. But I could also see Siegenthaler returning to form and doing that. Or at least I’m hoping he can do that.
I'm counting on a Siegenthaler rebound, especially is we go with Keefe. 2023-24 was a bad year for him but he dealt with a lot of crap. Dougie went down 20 games in, he got hurt himself and the system was total garbage. He's nowhere near as bad as he was last year, count on that. I can see making a move for another LHD that provides size/toughness but counting Siegs out would be a massive mistake, honestly.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad