anyone else hate the center ice salute to fans by the losers?

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
People do realize that there are 31 other teams all competing for the same championship that means even if all 32 teams took turns winning each team would only have 1 championship every 32 years. Winning The Stanley Cup is an extremely hard achievement literally everything needs to go right and the stars need to align and even then you might not end up winning recent winners majority have found a loophole that they were able to grossly circumvent the cap which gave them the edge they needed.

As for the salute I see nothing wrong with giving the fans that have supported you all year one last thank you for their cheers and tears. Imagine only being able to thank the fans if you win the cup that's just crazy

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I have less of a problem with this one cause they say goodbye for one last time before the next season.

But I cannot stand this salute by itself. First of all they should only do it in the playoffs. And do it only at the end of particular series.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Not unlike the handshake line, then?
Who asked you?:laugh:

The Handshake Line has a much longer standing tradition. From a personal standpoint, I look forward to watching it. It's also only once per series as opposed to the every game ritual of saluting the fans so I don't think that they're equivalent in many key ways.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Who asked you?:laugh:

The Handshake Line has a much longer standing tradition. From a personal standpoint, I look forward to watching it. It's also only once per series as opposed to the every game ritual of saluting the fans so I don't think that they're equivalent in many key ways.
Must be nice to just pick and choose at random what makes you grumpy instead of all of it pissing you off like it does me.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
it seems to have come back from players who played in the euro leagues during the 2012 lockout

It started (and has stayed) with the Rangers since the 05/06 season. It was (a) right after the big lock-out, so the the players were appreciative of the returning fans, while (b) at that same time, 90% of that rangers roster happed to be European.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Personally I wanted to drop rocks on the heads of the Hurricanes after game 6.

Nah the salute is fine, even though there are times I feel it's a bit awkward, such as when a team loses in embarrassing fashion. But it's still a game and the gesture is appreciated.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
I think the Rangers only do it after wins

The Rangers also did it after getting eliminated in the 1st round in 2006. I remember because i was there.

For context, that Ranger team was predicated to be terrible, but they managed to get into the playoffs thanks to Jagr playing out of his mind and a young hot rookie named Henrik.

The fans were thankful for doing as well as they did, cheering on their better-than-expected-season and the players saluted them in return.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Not interested in the rest of the thread, but want to thank the OP for ensuring the Alphas are represented over the mostly Betas on here that pay attention to how teams act after a loss (especially a season ending one)

• Haha
Reactions: ACLEVERNAME

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
seinfeld-pear.gif

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
just watched Boston add yet another playoff disappointment to their long ass list of them and yet the players do the little salute after the game to chants of "LET'S GO BRUINS"

this is the saddest zoomer shit ever (obviously it is some euro tradition lol) like you lost guys get in the dressing room don't soak in your participation medal
were they taking credit for a great hand shake ? Or is that just for first round losers?

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
I don't really care. A lot of the complaints on HF are about shit that does not affect the game (like the pbp team) and simply are not real problems. I don't see the centre ice salute because the game is over and there is no reason to keep watching. That's a self made problem for you.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Personally I wanted to drop rocks on the heads of the Hurricanes after game 6.

Nah the salute is fine, even though there are times I feel it's a bit awkward, such as when a team loses in embarrassing fashion. But it's still a game and the gesture is appreciated.
The only “weird thing” about it is it’s the only time that any type of fan salute happens after a loss. And yeah, would be especially awkward after home team gets badly smacked around.

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
I don't really care. A lot of the complaints on HF are about shit that does not affect the game (like the pbp team) and simply are not real problems. I don't see the centre ice salute because the game is over and there is no reason to keep watching. That's a self made problem for you.
Stop talking sense, you fool.

tabness

GUCCY 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
This disgusting display of the Canucks doing a salute after losing is even worse than the Boston one

Can't even blame the players so much these fans adoring failure should be on the streets rioting or something

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
Loved seeing the Canucks do it after the oilers won. Pretty neutral in regards to watching your team do it. It's obviously to thank fans for the support.

Should players also just skip the handshake line then and head straight to the change room?

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
This disgusting display of the Canucks doing a salute after losing is even worse than the Boston one

Can't even blame the players so much these fans adoring failure should be on the streets rioting or something

imagine being this much of a pathetic crybaby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad