Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Well, yeah, if there's a player that fits this core better then you do it. Chances are you're not going to find that this year imo or you have to give a massive contract or play Russian roulette to said player a la DeBrincat when he went to Ottawa.
1715125004076.png
Only Faber - Fiala trade is okay, still would prefer Faber but I understand arguments for Fiala.

But mostly Teams are losing this kind of trades. In a year when top-12 is very strong its especially silly.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
If it's Berube, I want Binnington to come with him
He's actually my low key possible goalie acquisition that nobody ever mentions.

He's basically still got a full no trade (18 teams), but I think he may be a guy the Devils would like as an acquisition

Is there a top 4 LHD who's age fits in with the core? Probably not
Is there a realistically available young goalie? No

Not against trading the pick in theory but don't think there will be any move that makes sense for us. If I'm moving it its 1 for 1 or packaged with more for an elite piece. Don't think either of those will realistically happen

Shea Theodore. He's only 28, which I'm fine with age wise. He's a lefty, but I think he mostly plays the right. I assume he's comfortable and capable of playing his natural shot.

But I'd definitely put a call in to Vegas about him. I'm pretty sure that I've seen a couple of the VGK fans on this board indicate he may be a possibility to move. Short term, would definitely be interest in McNabb

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
He's actually my low key possible goalie acquisition that nobody ever mentions.

He's basically still got a full no trade (18 teams), but I think he may be a guy the Devils would like as an acquisition

Shea Theodore. He's only 28, which I'm fine with age wise. He's a lefty, but I think he mostly plays the right. I assume he's comfortable and capable of playing his natural shot.

But I'd definitely put a call in to Vegas about him. I'm pretty sure that I've seen a couple of the VGK fans on this board indicate he may be a possibility to move. Short term, would definitely be interest in McNabb
Was unaware Theodore would be available, great player but we already have 2 offensively minded D with Dougie and Luke. I also feel like he was pretty invisible for an offensive dman in the last few games of that Dallas series.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Man if Boston can win as much as they do with Pavel f***ing Zacha as their #1 C and no elite scoring outside of two forwards…surely our team can have success if they could just implement more mature team play and structure.

I’m not convinced that Boston miraculously snagged two of the best goalies in a league where finding just one is a small miracle. The play in front of them have as much to do with their goalies success as the goalie talent.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Man if Boston can win as much as they do with Pavel f***ing Zacha as their #1 C and no elite scoring outside of two forwards…surely our team can have success if they could just implement more mature team play and structure.

I’m not convinced that Boston miraculously snagged two of the best goalies in a league where finding just one is a small miracle. The play in front of them have as much to do with their goalies success as the goalie talent.
We just need to not get completely decimated by injury. Boston with McAvoy out and Pasta at 50% would be poo too. But Boston definitely does have two quality goalies. Ullmark was banged up in the playoffs and began to leak and we saw what happened.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

Boston was seemingly playing with Toronto for so much of the series. Just letting them dipsy doodle all they wanted around outside. Just let them run circles and never get any real serious action no matter how much possession they had. Having an absolute beast in net helps when the eventual mistake or breakdown happens. But you need a full team of guys on the same page.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
We need a legitimate scoring winger to play with Jack and I don't think we can just count on Holtz or Mercer to be that long term option right now.

Especially if we want to content in the near future.

And facts are facts that Siegs is not a top 4 Dman on a contender and we have no internal options there.
We were top-12 in scoring in the year of injuries and disappointment. They need other things.

Last edited:

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

They have 2 top 5 wingers and absurd depth both forwards/defensively, it's not a conducive way for other teams to build. It's like looking at the 2020/2021 Islanders runs and trying to replicate it.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
We need a legitimate scoring winger to play with Jack and I don't think we can just count on Holtz or Mercer to be that long term option right now.

And facts are facts that Siegs is not a top 4 Dman on a contender and we have no internal options there.
Any room for alternative facts?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I am all aboard the trade the pick train. Window should be now.

Absolutely not for Markstrom. And to be honest, there might not be any realistic goalies I would trade it for. But I WOULD trade it for the best 26 or younger goal scoring winger or top 4 LHD we can get.
In skeptical you get anyone that great for it. I doubt you get a Necas or even a Mercer level player.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey

And facts are facts that Siegs is not a top 4 Dman on a contender and we have no internal options there
Ya the Siegs drop off in play the last 2 years has been definitely hurt the future outlook of our left side

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Boston has a great goalie coach. Other playoff teams have notable ones: Rags, Isles, Vegas, Vancouver.

Must be nice lol. (Not that I disagree that Boston has better team defense.)

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Any prospects ready to make the push this upcoming season?
Schmid and Daws in goal if we don't sign or trade for another goalie. Though it's doubtful they are on the ope ing night roster as Fitz doesn't want a repeat of last year.

On defense Vilen and Misyul will probably try to battle out the spot as a #7 Dman I suppose. Casey will need AHL time , no way he sits in tbe press box when he can be playing 20 plus minutes a night in Utica.

On offense if love to see Halonen get a shot at making the team. I'd say Nolan Foote could very well get a spot out of camp.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Schmid and Daws in goal if we don't sign or trade for another goalie. Though it's doubtful they are on the ope ing night roster as Fitz doesn't want a repeat of last year.

On defense Vilen and Misyul will probably try to battle out the spot as a #7 Dman I suppose. Casey will need AHL time , no way he sits in tbe press box when he can be playing 20 plus minutes a night in Utica.

On offense if love to see Halonen get a shot at making the team. I'd say Nolan Foote could very well get a spot out of camp.
Would prefer to not pencil anyone on thus list for 18 men roster spot. Would prefer to not pencil any forward for 13F role. We were in that situation this season, we need better depth.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

I'm not sure their waiver status, but I don't want young d-men like Vilen and Misyul watching games as a 7th.

Did Casey sign?

Would be shocked if Daws or Schmid were part of the NHL tandem to start next year.

Reactions: Bad Goalie

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Ullmark has fallen off slightly. Swayman has been a stud at every single level. The team and shot overcounting in Boston helps a bit, but goaltending talent is very real and Boston has it.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Ullmark has fallen off slightly. Swayman has been a stud at every single level. The team and shot overcounting in Boston helps a bit, but goaltending talent is very real and Boston has it.

Setting aside the specific “how good are the Boston goalies?”, IMO the point was whether the Devils could see improved goalie performance (move from awful to average) if the skaters played with better structure.

I think improved defensive awareness from our forwards and a simpler defensive structure overall would make the D and goaltending look better.

I’m not sure the success the Devils had in 22-23 is replicable, particularly not in the playoffs.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I guess, but I think trading Mercer right now is a mistake. It will likely be 10 and Mercer+
Mercer would be such a Bruins type player. A coggy 20 goal scorer.

Would be funny to see more of our washout fwd's go to Boston and their Vezina level goalie come to NJ. Not sure the results would be much different then we've seen over the last 5 years.

Reactions: theoptimist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad