• Iginla

• Parekh

• Eiserman

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Berkley Catton if Demidov and Iginla are off the board.
My dream scenario is to trade down to around 8-10 and draft Catton. Wonder what asset(s) we would add going down say, 4 spots. Not sure if it's worth it, but I have him as #3 most skilled forward after Celebrini and Demidov.

Reactions: crosbyshow

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
My dream scenario is to trade down to around 8-10 and draft Catton. Wonder what asset(s) we would add going down say, 4 spots. Not sure if it's worth it, but I have him as #3 most skilled forward after Celebrini and Demidov.
I think, after gathering alot of intel so far, that after #3/#4.... any of iginla, snecke, catton, parehk etc could go 5-12 and that is the problem with trading down..... will you get your guy? guys catton could go 4 or 10...

Reactions: Eegs

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
The “replacing Dach” narrative regarding Lindstrom is crazy. As if they’d just immediately discard Dach if they drafted Lindstrom. Crazy to see Habs fans writing him off. If they take Lindstrom, Dach will still play C for a couple seasons at least. They could play on the same line and switch off C as well. Having two guys like that on the same line, it wouldn’t even matter which one played C.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Having seen Dach go through so many major injuries and surgeries, I can’t blame fans for seeking insurance policies.

I’m getting mixed signals about whether or not Lindstrom can be a C at the NHL level and/or that he might be injury prone, which are good things in the sense that they might help him slide to the Habs pick.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Having seen Dach go through so many major injuries and surgeries, I can’t blame fans for seeking insurance policies.

I’m getting mixed signals about whether or not Lindstrom can be a C at the NHL level and/or that he might be injury prone, which are good things in the sense that they might help him slide to the Habs pick.

Wether Lindstrom stays a C or not, he fills a need and would cement the identity of the fwd group going fwd.

Even if Dach were to be traded before this team reaches its apex, having both Slaf and Lindstrom gives Hughes more flexibility in order to fill the rest of the top 6.

That being said. There's nothing that tells me that he wouldn't be a C in the NHL. Only thing I see is a guy that would be just as good on the W than he'd be at C.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Wether Lindstrom stays a C or not, he fills a need and would cement the identity of the fwd group going fwd.

Even if Dach were to be traded before this team reaches its apex, having both Slaf and Lindstrom gives Hughes more flexibility in order to fill the rest of the top 6.

That being said. There's nothing that tells me that he wouldn't be a C in the NHL. Only thing I see is a guy that would be just as good on the W than he'd be at C.
No question. There is a quality forward draught on this team and there is no immediate help in the pipeline.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He will fall like Pastrnak did and could end up as good. Tricky player to forecast
Eiserman’s a home run swing. The problem is that teams see a lot of risk with him. Has some attitude and doesn’t play the fundamentals well.

The Habs have to come away with something at five. If they came away with nothing to show for it that would be brutal for the rebuild. They likely don’t want to take the risk here.

What I absolutely think we should do though is try to trade up for around tenth (or as high as we can get) and get him later after we’ve drafted X at five.

His upside is too good to ignore. I think he’d thrive here and he’d give us a second major scoring threat (if Caufield’s shoulder ever heals) in the lineup.

Stockpiling that kind of talent is how you win cups. Sacrifice picks, prospects - whatever and go all in. We’ve got a glut on young defenders to leverage. Now the time to do it. We don’t want to be rebuilding forever.

Reactions: NewDef and Tyson

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Eiserman’s a home run swing. The problem is that teams see a lot of risk with him. Has some attitude and doesn’t play the fundamentals well.
Absolutely no interest in him at 5th, and I don’t think it’s worth the trouble to trade up to the 10-15 range for him. If the Habs want to take a bit of a gamble on a player like that, go for Parascak in the late 1st round, or Poirier in the 2nd or 3rd round. Habs don’t need to be riverboat gambling at 5th overall, or giving up assets to do it at 10-15.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Absolutely no interest in him at 5th,
This I get.
and I don’t think it’s worth the trouble to trade up to the 10-15 range for him.
This I don’t.
If the Habs want to take a bit of a gamble on a player like that, go for Parascak in the late 1st round, or Poirier in the 2nd or 3rd round. Habs don’t need to be riverboat gambling at 5th overall.
Look at it this way: he has a flawed game and STILL puts up over a goal per game. He has the tools (size, hitting, skating, passing are all good to above average) but needs work on his game. The potential is there. I’d definitely take a shot at him.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If Levshunov goes # 2, how much would you pay Anaheim to get #3 to draft Demidov?

#5 + Winnipeg 1st + a B prospect?

Or do you roll the dice and hope both Anaheim and Columbus pick defencemen?

Reactions: Rozz

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
This I get.

This I don’t.

Look at it this way: he has a flawed game and STILL puts up over a goal per game. He has the tools (size, hitting, skating, passing are all good to above average) but needs work on his game. The potential is there. I’d definitely take a shot at him.
The problem for me is that if they traded up from the Jets pick to 10-15, there are too many players that could be available there that just have a superior balance of upside and risk - any of Iginla, Catton, Sennecke, Helenius, Yakemchuk, Parekh, could be available in that range. I wouldn’t pass on any of them for Eiserman. Especially considering the fact that players who fall in the rankings consistently throughout the year leading up to the draft are almost always busts or terrible picks historically. Sean Day, Angelo Esposito, Nick Ebert, Ryan Murphy, Mikhail Grigorenko, Curtis Lazar, Hunter Shinkaruk, Josh Ho-Sang, Joe Veleno, Martin Frk, Mikael Frolik, Kyle Chipchura. The list is practically endless.

The list of the opposite - players who fell like that and ended up being good picks is short. There’s like Logan Couture off the top of my head. Filip Forsberg never fell in the rankings, he just slid on draft day. Cole Caufield too; he kind of went where he was expected to go. Plenty of lists had him ranked in the teens because scouts were scared of his size.

Just some food for thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: bsl and CHwest

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The problem for me is that if they traded up from the Jets pick to 10-15, there are too many players that will be available there that just have a superior balance of upside and risk - any of Iginla, Catton, Sennecke, Helenius, Yakemchuk, Parekh, could be available in that range. I wouldn’t pass on any of them for Eiserman. Especially considering the fact that players who fall in the rankings consistently throughout the year leading up to the draft are almost always busts or terrible picks historically. Sean Day, Angelo Esposito, Nick Ebert, Ryan Murphy, Mikhail Grigorenko, Curtis Lazar, Hunter Shinkaruk, Josh Ho-Sang, Joe Veleno, Martin Frk, Mikael Frolik, Kyle Chipchura. The list is practically endless.

The list of the opposite - players who fell like that and ended up being good picks is short. There’s like Logan Couture off the top of my head. Filip Forsberg never fell in the rankings, he just slid on draft day. Cole Caufield too; he kind of went where he was expected to go. Plenty of lists had him ranked in the teens because scouts were scared of his size.

Just some food for thought.
That’s fine. I think those players may be safer picks but none of them have the upside of Eiserman. None will be superstars.

It’s not often you Get the chance to draft a record setting goal scorer in the teens of a draft. We got lucky with CC because of his size but apart from that it doesn’t happen.

I don’t dispute that Eiserman has holes that other players don’t. But his potential is higher than any off them. I get not wanting to gamble on him at five. But he’s exactly the kind of play take a flyer on after ten and go all in on.

He has superstar potential. Boom or bust but well worth gambling on later.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Until proven otherwise, Dach cannot play more than 40-50 games a season. We still have a question mark for a top 6 center. Newhook ainmt it. We have none in the pipeline and forget the UFA market.

Lindstrom gotta be the pick even if Demidov is there.

Lindstrom plays like a winger... If they pass on Demidov, for Lindstrom, I'll pay a private detective, to follow HuGo everywhere and find something on them, to get them fired.
1466366209-risitas24.png

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
That’s fine. I think those players may be safer picks but none of them have the upside of Eiserman. None will be superstars.

It’s not often you Get the chance to draft a record setting goal scorer in the teens of a draft. We got lucky with CC because of his size but apart from that it doesn’t happen.

I don’t dispute that Eiserman has holes that other players don’t. But his potential is higher than any off them. I get not wanting to gamble on him at five. But he’s exactly the kind of play take a flyer on after ten and go all in on.

He has superstar potential. Boom or bust but well worth gambling on later.
I get the appeal, but for me, I think all the red flags, with both the player himself and historically with these type of “fallers”, are too much to get over.

What do you think of Parascak late in the first (if available), or Poirier in the 2nd or 3rd round? Both are similar boom or bust prospects, but without the character issues. There are obviously other concerns with both, however.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I get the appeal, but for me, I think all the red flags, with both the player himself and historically with these type of “fallers”, are too much to get over.

What do you think of Parascak late in the first (if available), or Poirier in the 2nd or 3rd round? Both are similar boom or bust prospects, but without the character issues. There are obviously other concerns with both, however.
That's fair.

But we're constantly asking why we don't have a superstar. They're extremely hard to get. This guy is obviously not a a blue chip superstar but the potential's there. He's two weeks removed from being eligible for next year's draft and owns the goal scoring record. He CLEARLY has superstar potential.

I get people not liking him or (correctly) pointing out the holes. But you draft him for what he can be not what he is today. If you want a potential superstar late... this is it. He absolutely could be a superstar player, none of those others are. To me, you go all in on that.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Cole Eiserman is just gonna be Cole Eiserman. Cole Eiserman likes putting the puck in the net and Cole Eiserman ain't gonna change his game for no one.

keep this kid away from the team please lol.

Yeah, but if we do pass on him and he has a good D1 year in the NCAA, we'll get bombarded with another few years of crying about how the Habs scouts screwed up and passed on elite talent that they obviously should've picked (even if he doesn't get picked until the teens lol)

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah, but if we do pass on him and he has a good D1 year in the NCAA, we'll get bombarded with another few years of crying about how the Habs scouts screwed up and passed on elite talent that they obviously should've picked (even if he doesn't get picked until the teens lol)
Not from me.

I hope we take him. The potential is there. But I understand why we wouldn’t. If we don’t, I’m not going to scream at the team.

I just think he’s worth going in on. The potential is just awesome. Everything that he doesn’t have can be taught. Everything he does can’t.

Yeah he’s cocky. So was Roy, so was Subban. Sometimes you need some of that for a market like Montreal.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Not from me.

I hope we take him. The potential is there. But I understand why we wouldn’t. If we don’t, I’m not going to scream at the team.

I just think he’s worth going in on. The potential is just awesome. Everything that he doesn’t have can be taught. Everything he does can’t.

Yeah he’s cocky. So was Roy, so was Subban. Sometimes you need some of that for a market like Montreal.

I respectfully disagree.

Right now Eiserman is a pretty clueless defensive player against the cycle, and that can get fixed, sure. So can his propension for careless puck management and hogging the puck too much instead of properly using his teammates.

But the lack of effort at times (and most egregiously defensively), the suspect playmaking, the subpar puck-possession game, the lack of high-end decision-making with the puck on his stick, I think they are baked-in flaws for Eiserman. Ones that the team that selects him will have to learn to live with.

Now, does that make him a bad prospect? No.

Eiserman's still very good, and could be an amazing offensive player for a team that already has its primary play-drivers and physical space-creators sorted-out and is in need of a pure goalscorer.

Thing is, aside from the Caufield/Suzuki/Slafkovsky line and Dach (if he even returns healthy next year) we don't really have much in the way of big play-drivers, space-creators, or puck-dominant forwards that project as top 6 guys in our team and prospect pool.

And so we need to draft any of those types of players, plain and simple. As much as a goalscorer would help our team, it's not our primary need right now; good play-driving is.

Now, the ideal pick for us would admittedly be Demidov, with his superb all-around skills as a play-driver. But chances are low that he'll last until the 5th pick considering his sheer talent and the needs of the teams above us at the draft.

Another option could be someone like Lindstrom because of his physical presence as a potential top-6 winger (don't think he has the playmaking in him to stick at C in the NHL, could be wrong though) that drives the net and creates space for teammates while also having a great shot, some skill, and good skating.

The most likely outcome for us at #5 though is Iginla, because he should be available where we draft and is the most versatile of the options available. He projects as an enticing mix of a play-driver, a goalscorer, and also as a facilitator on the ice all at once, with definite top-6 potential.

And to close the book on Eiserman, I'd have him 13th on my list.

Last edited:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I'd rather have Reinbacher and Demidov than Michkov and either RD that will be available Yakemchuk or Parekh.
Had Dach not been lost in game 2 of the season, Habs wouldn’t have had a top-5 pick this season …

Going into 2023 draft, thought process was never pick Michkov this draft, and we’ll get a top pairing Dman w top-5 pick in 2024

Reactions: bsl

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I respectfully disagree.

Right now Eiserman is a pretty clueless defensive player against the cycle, and that can get fixed, sure. So can his propension for careless puck management and hogging the puck too much instead of properly using his teammates.

But the lack of effort at times (and most egregiously defensively), the suspect playmaking, the subpar puck-possession game, the lack of high-end decision-making with the puck on his stick, I think they are baked-in flaws for Eiserman. Ones that the team that selects him will have to learn to live with.

Now, does that make him a bad prospect? No.

Eiserman's still very good, and could be an amazing offensive player for a team that already has its primary play-drivers and physical space-creators sorted-out and is in need of a pure goalscorer.

Thing is, aside from the Caufield/Suzuki/Slafkovsky line and Dach (if he even returns healthy next year) we don't really have much in the way of big play-drivers, space-creators, or puck-dominant forwards that project as top 6 guys in our team and prospect pool.

And so we need to draft any of those types of players, plain and simple. As much as a goalscorer would help our team, it's not our primary need right now; good play-driving is.

Now, the ideal pick for us would admittedly be Demidov, with his superb all-around skills as a play-driver. But chances are low that he'll last until the 5th pick considering his sheer talent and the needs of the teams above us at the draft.

Another option could be someone like Lindstrom because of his physical presence as a potential top-6 winger (don't think he has the playmaking in him to stick at C in the NHL, could be wrong though) that drives the net and creates space for teammates while also having a great shot, some skill, and good skating.

The most likely outcome for us at #5 though is Iginla, because he should be available where we draft and is the most versatile of the options available. He projects as an enticing mix of a play-driver, a goalscorer, and also as a facilitator on the ice all at once, with definite top-6 potential.

And to close the book on Eiserman, I'd have him 13th on my list.
Dach is certainly a play driver. The reason we'd get Lindstrom at 5 would be for him to be a play driver...

Again, I have no issue with us taking any of those guys at 5th - Demidov, Lindstrom, Iggy... but adding Eiserman as a second pick in that draft would be massive.

Sometimes we focus so much on what a player can't do that we miss out on what he can. That's been our problem for a long time now. Sometimes you just take the scorer.

Reactions: Rozz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad