Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Holtz going to PIT and getting 35 on Crosby's wing sounds too perfect not to happen to us.

If you thought people were salty of Sharangovich, just imagine how toxic this place will become.
I mean, half the people here hate Holtz too. If they want to issue some mea culpa's, they can be my guest.

To be clear, I would prefer to keep Holtz. At the very least, he is offensive depth on a rock-bottom cap hit. But I don't think the organization believes in him at all, and are going to move on in some way or another. Might as well use him in a trade for a valuable player.

Reactions: My3Sons

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The “+” in those trades is pretty important because you are trading for Petterson’s age 28 season at ~4m but need to sign the age 29+ seasons to an extension.

unless the penguins are going to fully blow it up (doubtful) not sure the best use of the bullets is paying to pry him out of there.
My premises are 1) the Devils need a defensive LD upgrade, and 2) there are essentially zero of those player types available on the UFA market this year (other than Skjei, who by scarcity alone will fetch a crazy market price).

To add this type of player, they will necessarily have to look at the trade market. Holtz and Casey are prospects that could (in Holtz' case, most definitively is) be viewed as expendable by the org.

Dubas has a dual mandate in PIT of maintaining the veneer of competitiveness in the last leg of Crosby's career, while also transitioning to a younger group. I could see them trading Pettersson, who as you said only has 1 year left on his deal, to facilitate this.

I think the + in either case could be the higher of the Devils or Jets 2025 2nd. Perhaps an additional C prospect close to the NHL (Foote or Clarke, to that effect). Trade would be contingent on NJ having an extension agreed to in principle.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Pettersson won’t be an upgrade over Siegenthaler, possibly not over Bahl either.

Honestly i’m surprised so many people are ready to jump ship on half the team after one clusterf*** season. Literally nobody looked good this year except for Nemec, Bratt (who still took his contractually obligated 6 weeks off in the middle of the season), and Hischier, who is a perfect hardworking boy that nobody hates.

I see little reason to make wholesale changes to a roster that mostly got better after one of the best regular seasons in franchise history.
That is just not true. He definitely would be an upgrade over Siegs and especially over Bahl.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Pettersson won’t be an upgrade over Siegenthaler, possibly not over Bahl either.

Honestly i’m surprised so many people are ready to jump ship on half the team after one clusterf*** season. Literally nobody looked good this year except for Nemec, Bratt (who still took his contractually obligated 6 weeks off in the middle of the season), and Hischier, who is a perfect hardworking boy that nobody hates.

I see little reason to make wholesale changes to a roster that mostly got better after one of the best regular seasons in franchise history.
I think Pettersson is almost unquestionably an upgrade on both, considering his defensive impacts over his career are quite solid, while playing legitimate top-four minutes. I do like Bahl and would keep him around, I think he will develop into a player they can use similarly.

There is real reason to be worried about Siegs. He wasn't just bad this season. He wasn't great last year either.

Reactions: Billdo

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Any time for Michael Amadio as a UFA for some middle six depth/grit?

I liked Amadio back when he was a Kings farm hand. I can't say I've watched a ton of Vegas games this year but it seems like he's been mostly RW.

I guess it'd depend on what the plan is with Holtz for next year. Might be a crowded right side with Bratt/Mercer/Holtz/Bastian.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Holtz going to PIT and getting 35 on Crosby's wing sounds too perfect not to happen to us.

If you thought people were salty of Sharangovich, just imagine how toxic this place will become.
If Holtz scorers 35 next year, his line will
Give up 70

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Exclusive 1 on 1 interview with Travis Green
My youngest wants to be on ESPN so I’ll let him handle it. Of course he’s more of a football and basketball fan so the questions might involve the Shanahan offense or the evolution of the stretch 5. I’m sure Green will handle those with aplomb.

• Love
Reactions: theoptimist

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
My premises are 1) the Devils need a defensive LD upgrade, and 2) there are essentially zero of those player types available on the UFA market this year (other than Skjei, who by scarcity alone will fetch a crazy market price).

To add this type of player, they will necessarily have to look at the trade market. Holtz and Casey are prospects that could (in Holtz' case, most definitively is) be viewed as expendable by the org.

Dubas has a dual mandate in PIT of maintaining the veneer of competitiveness in the last leg of Crosby's career, while also transitioning to a younger group. I could see them trading Pettersson, who as you said only has 1 year left on his deal, to facilitate this.

I think the + in either case could be the higher of the Devils or Jets 2025 2nd. Perhaps an additional C prospect close to the NHL (Foote or Clarke, to that effect). Trade would be contingent on NJ having an extension agreed to in principle.

Holtz/Casey + second is like a no man’s land for these two team - despite the Devils looking to become consistent contender they can’t give up that much value for a player that needs to be signed after 1 year, and that return doesn’t really help Pittsburgh keep the “veneer” of competitiveness either.

The player is a good fit but unless Pittsburgh decides to blow it up I don’t know why they would trade Patterson for a return worth it for the Devils.

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
Gotta resign MacDermid so he can do nothing the rest of the night next time a rookie gets jumped just like the Toronto game. If he is back and plays more than 20 games next season, it’ll be another enjoyable one.

I liked Amadio back when he was a Kings farm hand. I can't say I've watched a ton of Vegas games this year but it seems like he's been mostly RW.

I guess it'd depend on what the plan is with Holtz for next year. Might be a crowded right side with Bratt/Mercer/Holtz/Bastian.

I’ve just been operating under the assumption that Holtz will be gone this summer. Although I think Amadio has spent time on both wings for Vegas, despite being a right shot.

Reactions: Devils731

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Holtz/Casey + second is like a no man’s land for these two team - despite the Devils looking to become consistent contender they can’t give up that much value for a player that needs to be signed after 1 year, and that return doesn’t really help Pittsburgh keep the “veneer” of competitiveness either.

The player is a good fit but unless Pittsburgh decides to blow it up I don’t know why they would trade Patterson for a return worth it for the Devils.
Like I said, the trade would be contingent on an extension agreed to in principle with Pettersson.

Look at what the Penguins did at the deadline: They sold Guentzel, and targeted prospects that could be in the NHL now or soon. Holtz/Casey fill that niche for them.

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
Like I said, the trade would be contingent on an extension agreed to in principle with Pettersson.

Look at what the Penguins did at the deadline: They sold Guentzel, and targeted prospects that could be in the NHL now or soon. Holtz/Casey fill that niche for them.

Guentzel was a pending free agent, I have no doubt if Pittsburgh is out of the playoffs that they would trade Petterson at the deadline but I don’t know why they would trade him before the season unless it furthered their goal of getting to the playoffs with the C/M/L trio on their current deal.

Also - getting Petterson to sign an extension 1 year before he hits UFA with a team he never played for is asking a lot. We would also need to include a contract (Siegenthaler) in order to be able to pay Petterson on a new contract.

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Guentzel was a pending free agent, I have no doubt if Pittsburgh is out of the playoffs that they would trade Petterson at the deadline but I don’t know why they would trade him before the season unless it furthered their goal of getting to the playoffs with the C/M/L trio on their current deal.

Also - getting Petterson to sign an extension 1 year before he hits UFA with a team he never played for is asking a lot. We would also need to include a contract (Siegenthaler) in order to be able to pay Petterson on a new contract.
RE the bolded: Not really. We players get traded and signing extensions almost immediately fairly frequently. Also no, I've run various Capfriendly scenarios and quite easily filled out the roster with all of Pettersson, Siegs, and Bahl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad