Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Except Siegenthaler has multiple seasons of elite defensive play before this season and Bahl has basically been poor since he came into the league with no consistent defensive reliability.

Just because a guy is young doesn’t mean he’s going to be good. They’re only 3 years apart.
Bahl's numbers look every bit as good as Sieg's the last 2 years. Better even.

Reactions: Guttersniped

mdj12784

Sep 19, 2006
Sayreville, N.J
Anyone else wish we could have kept Alex Kerfoot? He would’ve been a great depth C, plus injuries always happen… I’m aware he chose not to sign with us due to Nico and Jack. Just wish*

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Anyone else wish we could have kept Alex Kerfoot? He would’ve been a great depth C, plus injuries always happen… I’m aware he chose not to sign with us due to Nico and Jack. Just wish*

Kerfoot signed with the Avs a couple years before we had Jack. We just had a lot of LW/LHC types at the time. A freshly drafted Nico, a young Pavel Zacha, 32 year old Travis Zajac, Adam Henrique and Taylor Hall, Miles Wood. Shero traded for Marcus Johansson as well, although Kerfoot likely had made up his mind by then. Maybe even John Quenneville was more highly regarded than Kerfoot in the moment. I don't think Jesper Bratt was on the radar in 2017.

As much as it's annoying when a guy uses the August 15th route, I can understand choosing a landing spot with (semi) guaranteed NHL time versus making considerably less in the AHL.

mdj12784

Sep 19, 2006
Sayreville, N.J
Kerfoot signed with the Avs a couple years before we had Jack. We just had a lot of LW/LHC types at the time. A freshly drafted Nico, a young Pavel Zacha, 32 year old Travis Zajac, Adam Henrique and Taylor Hall, Miles Wood. Shero traded for Marcus Johansson as well, although Kerfoot likely had made up his mind by then. Maybe even John Quenneville was more highly regarded than Kerfoot in the moment. I don't think Jesper Bratt was on the radar in 2017.

As much as it's annoying when a guy uses the August 15th route, I can understand choosing a landing spot with (semi) guaranteed NHL time versus making considerably less in the AHL.
No doubt, just would have really came in handy right now.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Absolutely need to bring in a new defenseman who can play top four. Preferably prolly a LHD. And I would try and move Siegenthaler. Cannot run back the same crew with just Hamilton returning. No way. They’ll suck again. And also need say two new bodies up front who can play in a middle six role and also someone who can play on L4 with some snarl.

And also regarding MacDermid. I was kinda getting onboard with bringing him back to play sporadically. But after he did absolutely nothing the other night after the Nemec-Domi situation (even later in the game FFS), that immediately changes my thought to no way I’m wasting a roster spot on him back. And I hope management looked at that and thought the same thing.
Without knowing one way or other sometimes those guys are told not to drop ...Wouldn't be surprised Green was looking for the win more....

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Kerfoot is on his 3rd team. He’ll be 30 in August and was a UFA by 2022, so who knows if he would still be on the team even if we signed him.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Bahl's numbers look every bit as good as Sieg's the last 2 years. Better even.
Yeah, their metrics have basically flipped since Bahl's been a regular player. Siegs has been poor-to-bad this season and last season, while Bahl's defensive metrics are fairly strong.

I think they should be concerned with Siegs and need to have some kind of insurance policy there.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Would everyone be content rolling out the same six D next season with Hamilton returning?

Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Hughes-Marino
Bahl-Nemec

I see quite a few who are, but to me, it’s a recipe for potential disaster.
No. Absolutely not. They need a defensive LHD upgrade as insurance for Siegs or Bahl. I've mentioned this before, but if PIT misses the playoffs, I would definitely try to acquire Marcus Pettersson, similar to what they did with Marino.

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
I have seen Pettersson's name around quite a bit - wonder what it would cost. Assume it would be a decent haul.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I have seen Pettersson's name around quite a bit - wonder what it would cost. Assume it would be a decent haul.
Yes. Holtz+ or Casey+. I would pay it.

The org hates Holtz anyway he is either already out the door, or never going to get a real shot.

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
I feel as though the Markstrom thing is going to play itself out. I think Calgary dragged their feet and tried to make Fitz meet their price until they opted to back out, and in turn pissing the player off and missing the playoffs all together.

I feel like he's going to force their hand after they kept him and say he wants to go where he's wanted. We'll see though.
This is kind of where i land too - I think he has had one foot out the door ever since that fiasco leaked out. And he has full control of where he goes given the NMC. One thing that will be interesting, is I would guess Colorado is going to enter the goalie market this summer, given how their situation has been a travesty.

Normal Devil

Mar 16, 2014
I heard Siegs has not been fully healthy most of the season.
I think he broke is foot fairly early into the season .. probably been an uphill climb for him since. I think he gets another season to right the ship.

Reactions: bigd

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

The org hates Holtz anyway he is either already out the door, or never going to get a real shot.
Holtz going to PIT and getting 35 on Crosby's wing sounds too perfect not to happen to us.

If you thought people were salty of Sharangovich, just imagine how toxic this place will become.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Holtz going to PIT and getting 35 on Crosby's wing sounds too perfect not to happen to us.

If you thought people were salty of Sharangovich, just imagine how toxic this place will become.
I get Ducks trading Kyle Palmieri vibes from moving Holtz.

A guy whose per minute results suggest he may be effective in a larger role, gets traded for middle round picks (or equivalent value), and starts scoring higher raw numbers as soon as the minutes increase.

Hopefully the league is more analytic in nature now and you can get a better value on Holtz due to his per minute contributions.

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021

The “+” in those trades is pretty important because you are trading for Petterson’s age 28 season at ~4m but need to sign the age 29+ seasons to an extension.

unless the penguins are going to fully blow it up (doubtful) not sure the best use of the bullets is paying to pry him out of there.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Pettersson won’t be an upgrade over Siegenthaler, possibly not over Bahl either.

Honestly i’m surprised so many people are ready to jump ship on half the team after one clusterf*** season. Literally nobody looked good this year except for Nemec, Bratt (who still took his contractually obligated 6 weeks off in the middle of the season), and Hischier, who is a perfect hardworking boy that nobody hates.

I see little reason to make wholesale changes to a roster that mostly got better after one of the best regular seasons in franchise history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad