Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023 training camp edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
The Sabres at center:
Prospects: Kulich, Savoie, Kozak
Rochester: Slaggert, Fiddler-Schultz, Giroux

Fiddler-Schultz was an unsigned FA center out of the WHL, somehow Buffalo manages to sign him despite being stacked at forward and we don’t. He’s also Vernon Fiddler’s nephew.

The Devils at center:
Prospects: uh…er…
At the last two camps Stillman started at center and then got bumped to LW. He only took 13 face-offs all last season (and won 2), he’s not a center.

Filmon played more center than Stillman, he had 151 face-offs, winning 65 (43%). 93 of those face-offs were over a 7 game span.

Cam Squires took 273 face-offs and won 134 (49.1%). Cole Brown took 11 face-offs and won 3.
So Squires might have more potential at center. (Well, more than none at least.)

AHL: Xavier Parent played center in two games last year. He had 50 ECHL GP and 14 AHL GP though everyone loves this mighty mite. (Note: He didn’t actually play center in QMJHL, we don’t sign players who do that sort of thing.)

Filip Engaras was a rookie from U of New Hampshire, he had 26 ECHL GP and 37 AHL GP, and had real trouble producing in the AHL (5G 0A).

TJ Friedmann was a bottom six center on Quinnipiac, he was signed last April.

Invites: Jace Isley is a LW, he took 47 faceoffs last season. (He did win 23.)
Michael Horth is also a LW, he took 17 faceoffs last season. (And won 5.)

This team has a pathological aversion to acquiring centers, we didn’t even bother to invite one to camp.
Fitz just has a plan for three years ahead and knows that there is no need to rush, because he will get his special player when he needs to. He probably drafted Mukhamadullin because he knew that he would then trade him for Meier. And he didn't take the right defenders, because he knew about Nemec and Casey. And he knew about Hameenaho beforehand. What will remain without a pick in the first round and calmly take it in the second. Maybe this is the logic? Under Fitz, all imperfect expected steps turn into something better, and unsolved problems are eventually solved.

Im trying to be positive and little bit conspiracy theor...etish?

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
One of the many problems with simple visual image or text communication is you can easily miss the wink and the silly intent.
There wasn’t a wink. The intent was clearly of one lacking communication and just deciding to childishly attack my comment with immaturity instead of using words to refute my comment.m and was clearly done to provoke, hence my response.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
That’s what training camp and preseason games are for. No one is handing him a spot, but playing in a 3 game prospect tournament when he already has 5 NHL games under his belt and played in the WC, is completely pointless.

I’m sure everyone arguing for Luke playing in the tournament against some guys that will never even play a second in the AHL will still think it was completely worth it if he gets hurt and misses a substantial amount of time, right?

Severson wasn’t resigned. Graves wasn’t resigned. Everyone can pretend like it’s an open competition and he needs to “earn it,” but the reality is, something major would need to go wrong for Luke not to make the team.

And nice comparison of the Olympics vs. a glorified shiny prospect tournament.
I agree with your premise to a large extent, but I think @Guttersniped makes a good point I hadn't really thought of. Sure, Luke isn't making or not making the team in the prospect tournament, he has the main camp for that. Sure, he's already got NHL playoff games under his belt. So far so good. But, there are optics to consider and he's a kid just turned 20, giving him a bit of humble pie may be good for him at this stage and may be good for all the other prospects (looking a bit more closely at Nemec perhaps) to see Luke being included as one of them for now. Injury is an issue but I think it's less of an issue in hockey than in football. Sure, he could get hurt badly, but it's very unlikely.

Again, I mostly agree with your premise. I had posted that I wouldn't have Luke play in the prospect scrimmages and haven't changed my mind. My thought is that the training he does with the dad and the brothers and probably some other NHL players is likely at a higher pace than these prospect scrimmages. It's also on the road so it's not like the team is showing him off to the home crowd which I'd understand. Still, the various counterpoints are valid as well. Hopefully it's all a non-issue come Monday.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Okay, so with the list last year of Devils that had at least two tenures (Kinkaid I guess wouldn't count unless he gets into a regular season game) there's been several goalies that have returned to the Devils. Wedgewood is the one I think everyone remembers, as it's fresh in our minds from only 2 years ago.

But Yann Danis (was he even listed last week?) had two different tenures here. He didn't get an official start in his second Devils tenure (15-16), but did make it in for two relief appearances.

Chris Terreri was the first (I think) and technically he was a Devils player three different times, but he didn't play for anyone else in between his second and third tenure. I think he was taken my Minnesota in the 2000 expansion draft, but then we got him back in time for the start of the 00-01 season.

Scott Clemmensen was also a three time Devil. Not sure if I'm missing another goalie with multiple NHL Devils tenures.

Sidorkeiwicz is a weird one, in that he played for us in 93-94 and in the AHL for us and a stint in the IHL in between, but didn't play at all in the NHL between 94-95 and 96-97, before appearing in literally one period for our NHL team again in 97-98 in the last year of his career.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Okay, so with the list last year of Devils that had at least two tenures (Kinkaid I guess wouldn't count unless he gets into a regular season game) there's been several goalies that have returned to the Devils. Wedgewood is the one I think everyone remembers, as it's fresh in our minds from only 2 years ago.

But Yann Danis (was he even listed last week?) had two different tenures here. He didn't get an official start in his second Devils tenure (15-16), but did make it in for two relief appearances.

Chris Terreri was the first (I think) and technically he was a Devils player three different times, but he didn't play for anyone else in between his second and third tenure. I think he was taken my Minnesota in the 2000 expansion draft, but then we got him back in time for the start of the 00-01 season.

Scott Clemmensen was also a three time Devil. Not sure if I'm missing another goalie with multiple NHL Devils tenures.

Sidorkeiwicz is a weird one, in that he played for us in 93-94 and in the AHL for us and a stint in the IHL in between, but didn't play at all in the NHL between 94-95 and 96-97, before appearing in literally one period for our NHL team again in 97-98 in the last year of his career.
I can't wait for the Blackwood second tour of duty when he crawls back to NJ for a PTO at some point. It will be glorious.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I agree with your premise to a large extent, but I think @Guttersniped makes a good point I hadn't really thought of. Sure, Luke isn't making or not making the team in the prospect tournament, he has the main camp for that. Sure, he's already got NHL playoff games under his belt. So far so good. But, there are optics to consider and he's a kid just turned 20, giving him a bit of humble pie may be good for him at this stage and may be good for all the other prospects (looking a bit more closely at Nemec perhaps) to see Luke being included as one of them for now. Injury is an issue but I think it's less of an issue in hockey than in football. Sure, he could get hurt badly, but it's very unlikely.

Again, I mostly agree with your premise. I had posted that I wouldn't have Luke play in the prospect scrimmages and haven't changed my mind. My thought is that the training he does with the dad and the brothers and probably some other NHL players is likely at a higher pace than these prospect scrimmages. It's also on the road so it's not like the team is showing him off to the home crowd which I'd understand. Still, the various counterpoints are valid as well. Hopefully it's all a non-issue come Monday.
I agree. And the people that I disagreed with I welcome you to PM me if you’re going to the tournament and I’ll buy you a coffee.
Living in the Toronto area I’m quite fortunate watching many future NHL players develop playing AAA. Guys like Connor McDavid and Quinton Byfield and Shane Wright for example. I’ve seen play 15-30 times as minor hockey players.
But living in Toronto it’s almost impossible to go to a hockey game. I haven’t seen the devils play here in 15 years.
My family is from Jersey. I have family all over the NYC area. They were devil’s fans and I became a fan in 88 when I was 12.
Aside from being friends with Parise’s older brother and getting the opportunity to talk about the games when he was devil I get ZERO devils talk. I live in Toronto and for the most part most people only want to talk about the leafs.
That’s why I come here to have discussions with fans. But unfortunately there are many people here and (I’m not just calling out a couple of recent incidents) That don’t like it when you have an opinion that is negative about a player. I’m sorry even Jack Hughes makes mistakes and I don’t need to be called out for pointing out a bad play. It’s a discussion board and people shouldn’t get their panties in a bunch when people have different views of players. That’s the frustrating part is wanting to have communication and not being able to speak your mind without being attacked because you don’t treat every player like a superstar.
We can call out Brendan Smith for every single bonehead play he makes and I think that is virtually unanimous if that even makes sense but the moment somebody calls out or defends certain players people attack them like wild dogs.
I watch hockey because I love the game and I’ve been around it for 45 years and have coached and played at high levels. I come here because I love the game and want to talk about something that I have in common with other people unfortunately it just gets ruined sometimes.
Many of you people may not understand it because you live in New Jersey and get to talk about this often with other friends. I don’t so when you talk about it and there’s so much negativity even when we’re on incredible win streaks it can get frustrating. Cheers.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
the woman who owns the card shop that hosts a lot of Devils autograph signings posted on Twitter a few weeks back that she heard he is taking 28
I will probably buy a Timo stadium jersey. Can’t wait to see those come out. It’s a huge chance for the team to have an epic and totally different looking jersey. Give me an actual Devil with the state rolled into it.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I agree. And the people that I disagreed with I welcome you to PM me if you’re going to the tournament and I’ll buy you a coffee.
Living in the Toronto area I’m quite fortunate watching many future NHL players develop playing AAA. Guys like Connor McDavid and Quinton Byfield and Shane Wright for example. I’ve seen play 15-30 times as minor hockey players.
But living in Toronto it’s almost impossible to go to a hockey game. I haven’t seen the devils play here in 15 years.
My family is from Jersey. I have family all over the NYC area. They were devil’s fans and I became a fan in 88 when I was 12.
Aside from being friends with Parise’s older brother and getting the opportunity to talk about the games when he was devil I get ZERO devils talk. I live in Toronto and for the most part most people only want to talk about the leafs.
That’s why I come here to have discussions with fans. But unfortunately there are many people here and (I’m not just calling out a couple of recent incidents) That don’t like it when you have an opinion that is negative about a player. I’m sorry even Jack Hughes makes mistakes and I don’t need to be called out for pointing out a bad play. It’s a discussion board and people shouldn’t get their panties in a bunch when people have different views of players. That’s the frustrating part is wanting to have communication and not being able to speak your mind without being attacked because you don’t treat every player like a superstar.
We can call out Brendan Smith for every single bonehead play he makes and I think that is virtually unanimous if that even makes sense but the moment somebody calls out or defends certain players people attack them like wild dogs.
I watch hockey because I love the game and I’ve been around it for 45 years and have coached and played at high levels. I come here because I love the game and want to talk about something that I have in common with other people unfortunately it just gets ruined sometimes.
Many of you people may not understand it because you live in New Jersey and get to talk about this often with other friends. I don’t so when you talk about it and there’s so much negativity even when we’re on incredible win streaks it can get frustrating. Cheers.
I live where all people want to talk about is football. I'd be ecstatic to be surrounded by Leafs fans. You don't know how good you have it.

• Haha
Reactions: TBF1972

My3Sons

Sponsor
There wasn’t a wink. The intent was clearly of one lacking communication and just deciding to childishly attack my comment with immaturity instead of using words to refute my comment.m and was clearly done to provoke, hence my response.
Consider the source. I don't think there was ill intent, just silliness. It's like me posting about Blackwood to Bleed or lecturing people to place Hischier in the proper position in the lineup. It's just some fun. We all have our styles. That said, my oldest could have played his sport in college and was able to compete with numerous players who did. My middle and younger sons weren't as competitive as the oldest one so I got to see the differences in level of play and at times it's subtle. At times it's obvious and sometimes it varies based on position.

For example, one of my younger brothers always rued the choice he'd made in baseball to be an outfielder. As a regular sized guy and a right handed hitter he was just never going to get a look above high school that he wanted. He walked onto a D1 team and had the tryout of his life which got him a spot at the very end of the bench with the other practice players. He lasted one semester. He's convinced if he had been a middle infielder he could have played in legit college ball and it's a fair point. Of course he also told his wife when their first son was born he was going to teach him to throw a ball 60'6" left handed with late break and they should name him "Meal Ticket".

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I live where all people want to talk about is football. I'd be ecstatic to be surrounded by Leafs fans. You don't know how good you have it.
Good point. But…
Me-“did you see that Jack Hughes goal last night”
Friends “ devils suck matthews is better”. Not gonna lie in might be a bit of a stretch but it isn’t far off.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Good point. But…
Me-“did you see that Jack Hughes goal last night”
Friends “ devils suck matthews is better”. Not gonna lie in might be a bit of a stretch but it isn’t far off.
I get it. I'm just having some fun. It's how I used to feel growing up around all the Rangers fans. By all rights I should have been a Rangers fan, I grew up skating at the practice rink and met some players over the years. But the fans, ugh. Too many were like less educated Leafs fans. Until you've had someone tell you in all seriousness that Nick Fotiu was a good player you haven't hit rock bottom.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I get it. I'm just having some fun. It's how I used to feel growing up around all the Rangers fans. By all rights I should have been a Rangers fan, I grew up skating at the practice rink and met some players over the years. But the fans, ugh. Too many were like less educated Leafs fans. Until you've had someone tell you in all seriousness that Nick Fotiu was a good player you haven't hit rock bottom.
For sure. Knew you weee having fun. Didn’t want to make it seem like I thought you weren’t. That’s also another issue with messages as opposed to talking. Context. But yeah.
I know how you feel. Because I live in Toronto I have no animosity towards Rangers fans Islanders or even flyers fans. But hate the leafs with a passion

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
@Bleedred You need to make the GDT of your finest Kinkaid rants if he ever touches the ice for this year even once in a start.
A lot of them were reactions and rebellion over the couple of staunch supporters he had that would come and defend him over anything and got mad at me when I called out certain goals he allowed. One was super adamant he would be a starting goalie and better than Holtby. That actually came in a GDT when we were playing the Capitals. That poster said he'd be better than Holtby, which he kind of is now because Holtby hasn't played pro hockey in 2 years. As hard it was to believe even then, Kinkaid is actually 2.5 months older than Holtby is.

Kinkaid had some solid years here and some not so solid years here. He started out 17-18 like a real liability. It wasn't even until sometime in February where he really got cooking that year.

What happened to him in 18-19 was probably about what should have been expected. That was the second year in a row that we tried him out as a starter-ish/1a goalie (both years were because of Cory being injured, but also having his own struggles and being an even bigger liability at times) and it didn't go at all well like the first time. I remember him starting that year off just fine (I think he had 3 shutouts in October and 2 in his first 4 games that year), but getting worse and worse as the season went on. Whereas the year before it was the other way around.

His last year here felt like he just broke after a workload that was greater than he was capable of delivering at the NHL level, at least greater than he was capable of for the second straight year.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Consider the source. I don't think there was ill intent, just silliness. It's like me posting about Blackwood to Bleed or lecturing people to place Hischier in the proper position in the lineup. It's just some fun. We all have our styles. That said, my oldest could have played his sport in college and was able to compete with numerous players who did. My middle and younger sons weren't as competitive as the oldest one so I got to see the differences in level of play and at times it's subtle. At times it's obvious and sometimes it varies based on position.

For example, one of my younger brothers always rued the choice he'd made in baseball to be an outfielder. As a regular sized guy and a right handed hitter he was just never going to get a look above high school that he wanted. He walked onto a D1 team and had the tryout of his life which got him a spot at the very end of the bench with the other practice players. He lasted one semester. He's convinced if he had been a middle infielder he could have played in legit college ball and it's a fair point. Of course he also told his wife when their first son was born he was going to teach him to throw a ball 60'6" left handed with late break and they should name him "Meal Ticket".

i throw right but can also throw left and not look like a fool...taught myself years ago.

/endcoolstorybro

My3Sons

Sponsor
i throw right but can also throw left and not look like a fool...taught myself years ago.

/endcoolstorybro
I have to ask my brother next time we speak how long he was holding back on the "Meal Ticket" thing before his son was born. Beyond that, the cool stories are how we see more of each other as posters. Don't be shy. There are enough regulars we should all be supportive of each other.

Reactions: njdevils1982

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I have to ask my brother next time we speak how long he was holding back on the "Meal Ticket" thing before his son was born. Beyond that, the cool stories are how we see more of each other as posters. Don't be shy. There are enough regulars we should all be supportive of each other.
I agree. And the guy you are responding to is actually from the next town over and we’ve had some good discussions and name drops of people we both knew including having the same hockey coach if I recall. One of the few devil fans I’ve met in my area.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
That’s what training camp and preseason games are for. No one is handing him a spot, but playing in a 3 game prospect tournament when he already has 5 NHL games under his belt and played in the WC, is completely pointless.

I’m sure everyone arguing for Luke playing in the tournament against some guys that will never even play a second in the AHL will still think it was completely worth it if he gets hurt and misses a substantial amount of time, right?

Severson wasn’t resigned. Graves wasn’t resigned. Everyone can pretend like it’s an open competition and he needs to “earn it,” but the reality is, something major would need to go wrong for Luke not to make the team.

And nice comparison of the Olympics vs. a glorified shiny prospect tournament.
You realize that the rookie tournament is for rookies right? You realize he can get hurt in training, or in preseason games, or driving to the arena, they can't bubble wrap the kid. Just treat him like everyone else. Unless we're letting anyone who's played NHL games skip it, like Hatakka who has more games at the NHL level than Hughes does right now.

Giving this kid even more special treatment could be detrimental to his relationship to his teammates, in fact I'd say it's way more likely than an injury in this tournament. Players notice this shit, and it goes over as well as a poopy flavor lollipop.

You're entitled to your opinion, even if I disagree with it, but I can assure you people outside and most definitely inside the organization will take notice of him consistently getting special treatment.
It's 3 games man, he's likely to be just fine.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I came here to see the @Bleedred reaction to us signing Keith Kincaid. Why no fifteen page thread?
I suggested signing him way back before July 1st, as he’s the best we could have gotten for a third string goalie. I tried looking for that post, but all I keep finding are my posts on him from back when he still played here in 2018 and 2019 lol.

The only way this would have been bad is if we had signed him to be our number two for the NHL and not our number three.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I came here to see the @Bleedred reaction to us signing Keith Kincaid. Why no fifteen page thread?

I'm just late to the party. Only six pages, tho?
Bleed is on record as saying this was a good move. Cue the angry villagers with pitchforks and torches storming the windmill while Bleed is grunting and waiving his arm at them from the windmill top with his too small suit and large heavy shoes and neck bolts.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I suggested signing him way back before July 1st, as he’s the best we could have gotten for a third string goalie. I tried looking for that post, but all I keep finding are my posts on him from back when he still played here in 2018 and 2019 lol.

The only way this would have been bad is if we had signed him to be our number two for the NHL and not our number three.

Nicely done man. You don't let old feelings get in the way of analysis. Even handed take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad