Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023 offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Bratt avatar change? The SteveCangialosi123 Bratt crusade has officially begun!
tombstone-kurt-russell.gif

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

B0D1CAE8-E535-496B-BBF6-E66DC08CE69B.gif

Please don’t just go tweets that quote what people said on the radio or tv. Often it’s paraphrased or lacks context or can even be wrong.

For instance, I don’t know if Friedman is just shooting the shit here and this is his personal take. (If this is what he actually said.)

I do think the reports in the media have basically been the team complaining to media about Bratt’s agent and that’s not the best sign. We don’t know if this is new info or just Friedman riffing though.

That tweet is....inaccurate at best, i listened to the pod, Freids never says that lol

Well, there ya go.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Now that it's set in and after watching Nico crying in the post-game I do feel a bit worse. If Timo hits that empty net we're coming back to Newark tomorrow with a real shot.

The window opening thing provides a sort of solace, but these opportunities are so fleeting for even the best of squads.

I'm still hopeful, very. But pragmatic brain is setting in.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I don’t understand how there is so much love for the Hurricanes social media team getting “New Jersey celebs” to congratulate them on their series win over us. Well done, you paid money through Cameo to the Situation, Fireman Ed and a psycho housewife to try and burn us. Well played?

Seems more like a self-own to those in the know, if nothing else. :laugh:

It shows how they are nothing more than desperate sell outs who would do anything for a buck and fireman ed is absolutely a douche bag rangers fan, looks exactly like the rest of them. Any actual Devils fan on there wouldn't have done it.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Now that it's set in and after watching Nico crying in the post-game I do feel a bit worse. If Timo hits that empty net we're coming back to Newark tomorrow with a real shot.

The window opening thing provides a sort of solace, but these opportunities are so fleeting for even the best of squads.

I'm still hopeful, very. But pragmatic brain is setting in.
That was hurting me a bit as well until I remembered that the Canes missed on 3 or 4 cross ice tap ins in the 1st period. It’s a reminder that these plays happen so often and throughout a game.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
I think a lot more interesting and realistic discussion is to talk about what the Devils will do with the bottom 6. Odds are they'll run something like:

Meier-Hughes-Mercer
Palat-Hischier-Bratt
?-----?-----?
?-----McLeod-Bastian
Lazar

Defense:
Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Marino-Hughes
Bahl-Nemec/FA/Trade
Smith

Goalie:
Schmid
Vanecek.

Assuming Bratt and Meier cost $17M together and McLeod, Bastian and bahl cost $4M together that'll leave about $12M to fill those last 4 spots in the forward group, along with maybe a depth defenseman.

Haula should be brought back and will probably cost around $3M and odds are one of Holtz/Clarke/Foote/Thompson will win one of the spots out of camp, which will leave a little under $10M for two spots in the bottom 6.

That's a lot of wiggle room to get a couple quality forwards either through trade or FA to fill out the roster.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
That was hurting me a bit as well until I remembered that the Canes missed on 3 or 4 cross ice tap ins in the 1st period. It’s a reminder that these plays happen so often and throughout a game.
Especially in close games...it's hard to remember cause there were so few close games in the playoffs though.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I think a lot more interesting and realistic discussion is to talk about what the Devils will do with the bottom 6. Odds are they'll run something like:

Meier-Hughes-Mercer
Palat-Hischier-Bratt
?-----?-----?
?-----McLeod-Bastian
Lazar

Defense:
Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Marino-Hughes
Bahl-Nemec/FA/Trade
Smith

Goalie:
Schmid
Vanecek.

Assuming Bratt and Meier cost $17M together and McLeod, Bastian and bahl cost $4M together that'll leave about $12M to fill those last 4 spots in the forward group, along with maybe a depth defenseman.

Haula should be brought back and will probably cost around $3M and odds are one of Holtz/Clarke/Foote/Thompson will win one of the spots out of camp, which will leave a little under $10M for two spots in the bottom 6.

That's a lot of wiggle room to get a couple quality forwards either through trade or FA to fill out the roster.
I’d like another player like Haula with center/wing versatility. I’m comfortable with Haula as the 3C, but it would be nice to have some more C depth.

Ross Colton can play some C. Won 56% of draws this year. NJ kid, plays the style I think Fitz will be after. If he prices himself out of TB, I’d be interested.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Neither you or @Emperoreddy are wrong of course. But you could argue the same for the Palat fumble and a few others.

That one just stands out because it's one of the most egregious misses in a game of that magnitude I can recall at the moment.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I was wondering what happened to the postgame last night…well from the one clip I saw on another board it might have veered into PG-13 territory

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
I’d like another player like Haula with center/wing versatility. I’m comfortable with Haula as the 3C, but it would be nice to have some more C depth.

Ross Colton can play some C. Won 56% of draws this year. NJ kid, plays the style I think Fitz will be after. If he prices himself out of TB, I’d be interested.
Colton is definitely the type of player I expect them to target, somewhat cheap, versatile player that can play solid complimentary hockey to our stars.

If they wanted to aim a bit higher I could see them going after someone like Iafallo to replace the Tatar role in the top 6/top 9. Kings are up against the cap and have a glut of wingers, they'll likely move someone to make room to sign a defenseman or goalie.

I think they're also going to on the lookout for bargain deals and under the radar players. Guys either being underutilized by their current team or guys being undervalued, sort of like a lesser version of the Marino and Siegenthaler deals.

TF1970

May 9, 2021
Colton is definitely the type of player I expect them to target, somewhat cheap, versatile player that can play solid complimentary hockey to our stars.

If they wanted to aim a bit higher I could see them going after someone like Iafallo to replace the Tatar role in the top 6/top 9. Kings are up against the cap and have a glut of wingers, they'll likely move someone to make room to sign a defenseman or goalie.

I think they're also going to on the lookout for bargain deals and under the radar players. Guys either being underutilized by their current team or guys being undervalued, sort of like a lesser version of the Marino and Siegenthaler deals.
Elliotte Friedman referenced this in the 32 thoughts that came out today when they talked devils for a while. Also mentioned the possibility of Bratt/Meier maybe being a ‘one or the other’ type situation, but didn’t sound like he had anyone necessarily telling him that, more just him thinking out loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad