Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023 offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
If the Devils didn’t have room for both they wouldn’t have given up what they did for Timo AND continued negotiations with Bratt. They have room for both, it’s just a matter if they play ball or not
they have room for both in the short term, not necessarily the long term. everyone outside this forum seems to understand that concept. the devils need to be careful.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I’m in the vast minority I think but I felt Bratt’s effort was there all playoff long and that he made the key plays in game 3 against the Rangers that helped turn the series around. So I’m not holding it against him. His game didn’t translate that well to the Carolina series that’s all.

yeah you are in the minority because he was horrible. even the players that had bad first rounds showed up this series and actually contributed. further we went in the playoffs the less of a factor he was. the fact you point out a single event in game 3 of the previous round as proof man that aint a good defense of his play.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
It is possible the Devils sign Haula to a 1-year deal at a reduced rate.

You dont think Haula gets at least a 2 year deal? He's moved around a lot the past bunch of years, 6 teams in 6 years is wild and I get that being a pro athlete means moving around but that's still wild so he might be thrilled to just stay somewhere for more than 1 year at this point so he might be more down to sign a reduced rate if he gets a few years.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Bratt should get something similar the Fiala deal, if he's asking for significantly more than he and his agent are delusional. Haven't watched a ton of Fiala but their production is very similar. Bratt has better possession numbers but other analytics are all similar. Fiala did have a better contract season.

Bratt last 2 years
Regular Season PPG: .92
6 points in 12 playoff games

Fiala 3 years in Minn prior to his current deal
Regular Season PPG: .91
9 points in 17 playoff games
We have been saying this for a long time. I cannot think of a more perfect comp for Bratt;

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
8112C893-9381-4C1B-AD79-AF1BF0C5468C.jpeg

57D3DE00-A432-4E49-B1DE-1DBDD26085B0.jpeg

63114C36-E575-42BE-B234-EE8BF1080FFC.jpeg

giphy.gif

NHL Fanatik

Off the Naughty List
Mar 1, 2023
circa 2011
This still remains untrue. We can afford them both
Im thinking we cant fit them -if- we want to continue having a buffer of future cap space for breakouts by Mercer and co.

Bratt at 8m may be a tough spend, even if hes worth it, when you consider Mercer will need a deal and figure we will want to play in free agency or trade one of the next two years for a top-6er. This also doesnt include Holtz Gritsyuk or any others coming over (in terms of roster spots)

Reactions: nugg

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Confessions of a Flyers fan:

Just had to give the Devils props. As a Flyers fan I have hated the Devils from 1994 onward, but I loved this team. What a great team to watch, and you beat the Rangers. I really look forward to this team developing. Since the Flyers will never make the playoffs again due to idiot management, I'll be pulling for y'all in the future.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I don’t understand how there is so much love for the Hurricanes social media team getting “New Jersey celebs” to congratulate them on their series win over us. Well done, you paid money through Cameo to the Situation, Fireman Ed and a psycho housewife to try and burn us. Well played?

Seems more like a self-own to those in the know, if nothing else. :laugh:

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I don’t understand how there is so much love for the Hurricanes social media team getting “New Jersey celebs” to congratulate them on their series win over us. Well done, you paid money through Cameo to the Situation, Fireman Ed and a psycho housewife to try and burn us. Well played?

It was creative enough, I'll give them that. I've no problem with it

Reactions: LokiDog

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I’m assuming Timo is back over Bratt. Brings the size and physicality needed in the top six and is capable of the same production. Bratt is a solid trade chip and a goalie or a solid 3-4 stay at home D is probably the target. Yes, the backend can get crowded with Siegs, Dougie, Marino, Luke, Nemec, Bahl, but give the youth I think a steady stay at home for the 4-6 spot is warranted. I think upgrades to the third line can help as well. I see it as (not necessarily slotted where they belong):

Timo - Nico - ??
Palat - Hughes - Mercer
Sharangovich or Boqvist - ??? - Holtz
Lazar - McLeod - Bastian

You can shift one of Sharangovich or Boqvist down to the 4th, have Lazar at C and try McLeod as 3C but you still will want a solid middle six forward, probably with grit and shutdown ability to augment that group.

On defense you know you have Bahl, Luke and Nemec available to fill the 4-6 spots, but there’s no need to rush them and a veteran who is defensive minded but can still get the puck up ice would be a solid fit.

If Bratt is your big trade chip, it should probably be for a G. Schmid may have the future net to himself, but he’s 22. Letting him platoon with a proven #1 for a year or two would not hurt.

Reactions: Cheddabombs

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

To be fair, there are a lot of dumb people on social media who probably don't understand they paid for those people to do that.

I'll give them credit for the effort though.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Well, now I’m boycotting whatever shows those guys and girls are on that I already don’t watch!

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Confessions of a Flyers fan:

Just had to give the Devils props. As a Flyers fan I have hated the Devils from 1994 onward, but I loved this team. What a great team to watch, and you beat the Rangers. I really look forward to this team developing. Since the Flyers will never make the playoffs again due to idiot management, I'll be pulling for y'all in the future.

Man, more proof the Flyers have just broken their fans, but thanks for the kind words.

9959790C-57E6-442E-82E2-9D0F79731AF9.jpeg

I stand by this observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad