Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2022-23 season thread part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Really don't get the Johnsson hate. He's nothing special, but he's a serviceable bottom 6 forward who can chip in offensively occasionally and be responsible. Every team would love him as an extra forward if they could fit his cap number in.
This. Good guy, storms the net and someone who doesn’t take a shift off. Could be a good weapon on the 4th line.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Good for them, both earned it with hard work and dedication.

They sure have. These are also two players that some fans wrote off as they were late bloomers to a certain degree - something to certainly keep in mind in the future. If I recall correctly, many also wrote off McLeod and Bastian while they were still prospects.

I do love reading these type of articles.

This. Good guy, storms the net and someone who doesn’t take a shift off. Could be a good weapon on the 4th line.

I really like having Johnsson as a call-up for when injuries inevitably happen. I certainly think he'll be improved as well if/when he gets another chance with the Devils. It's quite a luxury to have a 28 year old with more than 250 NHL games available as an injury fill-in. Guy is not only fighting for another contract, but his NHL career at this point so it'll be interesting to see how he performs if given an opportunity.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
It's on Fitz.

Bratt has done more than enough to prove what he's worth. Fitz committed to Jack very early and before he'd broken out. Bratt has shown what he can do. Put some faith in him and just give him the money.
We have no clue the numbers being discussed. To blame one side either way is just ridiculous at this point.

Everyone here wants Bratt signed long-term, but you don't just hand him a blank check.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
A December to Remember?

Note: Let's make an early New Year's Resolution and move all the goalie debate into the separate thread so as not to overwhelm the general team thread with it, especially when you get fifty new posts after breakfast.

Everything aside from debating goalies that's team related should remain here.

cool, lets debate the goal song! :sarcasm:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
We have no clue the numbers being discussed. To blame one side either way is just ridiculous at this point.

Everyone here wants Bratt signed long-term, but you don't just hand him a blank check.
I don't see how it's ridiculous at all. Ultimately it's the GM's job to sign good players. If he doesn't accomplish that, it's on the GM.

And no. Fitz should hand him a blank cheque for anything under 8 figures x 8 years. Just pay him.

Reactions: glenwo2

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
If Wood was sick enough to miss the game last night maybe they just wan't to give him more time to feel better. Lord knows we don't have must win games any time soon. Several guys seem banged up.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Nah, put him with either Bratt or Boqvist and Zetterlund.

The Swedish BJZ :sarcasm:

5rk7zDP.gif

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL

Zetterlund deserves it 100%, a bit surprised about Boqvist, who despite good skating, isn't good enough offensively and defensively to have a long NHL career. We will see though.

Regarding Johnsson, he has looked solid on a strong Toronto team so maybe he can be 0.5 ppg on this team in top six role (while pushing Haula to bottom six) or maybe he can look acceptable on the 4th line.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I don't see how it's ridiculous at all. Ultimately it's the GM's job to sign good players. If he doesn't accomplish that, it's on the GM.

And no. Fitz should hand him a blank cheque for anything under 8 figures x 8 years. Just pay him.

Of course every GM wants to get their good players signed, but you can't just will it to happen. There has to be some give and take. Otherwise you wind up with the situation we see in Toronto.

Bratt really only had a breakout season last year, though his underlying numbers were good. I can understand the discrepancy between Fitz and Bratt over his value coming off that.

Beyond that, as I type this out I realize that I've already had a bit too much to drink tonight so I'm gonna slow it down and leave it at that. I'm still optimistic a deal gets worked out - I think Bratt wants to stay here and I know Fitz wants him here long-term. LGD!

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

He has signed a few good players and most to pretty good contracts, I trust he will do the same here if possible. And who's to say he's not asking for 10.5-11? That's why it's ridiculous, because no one here knows.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Zetterlund deserves it 100%, a bit surprised about Boqvist, who despite good skating, isn't good enough offensively and defensively to have a long NHL career. We will see though.

Regarding Johnsson, he has looked solid on a strong Toronto team so maybe he can be 0.5 ppg on this team in top six role (while pushing Haula to bottom six) or maybe he can look acceptable on the 4th line.

no thanks, he's just an injury call up guy..... the countdown is on to 'see ya, dont let the door hit you on the way out'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad