Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part Xl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
We don't have to trade any of those guys...

But I am curious what good it does us to pay them for the next 2-3-4 years while we sulk in mediocrity? Unless we draft top 3 this year, this team only sets back another year. Than, after so long, Greene is 35+ and Schneider is like 32... And thats just when we start changing...

Unless Lou has some major rehaul in one trade up his sleeve, I dont see how trading older vets for youth and a better chance at a franchise 1C is as awful as people make it sound.

I get it won't happen, but the concept is to be different here. Everyone else has these insane ideas that Zajac or Larsson will bring back anything worth while, where instead I see Greene and Schneider as out best two pieces. Not to mention without them we are definitely drafting high, every other team can do it so why can't NJ?

Just saying. Mediocrity will be the worst thing to happen to this team. It will only give off false ideas while holding us back from gaining any real talent.

How about our entire defensive corps not close to reaching their potential yet? Add an elite forward prospect or two and you have one of the best futures in the league (on paper at least).

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
There are a lot of Devils that weren't "Devils type players." Gomez, Sykora, Tverdovsky, etc. I wouldn't qualify Jagr as a "Devils type player" (whatever that is). It's all about players playing a role on a team. Madden and Pandolfo weren't paid to score goals. A team needs to be run like instruments in an orchestra and you can't make an orchestra with all trumpet players.

As for trading for Hall, the entire forward corp needs an overhaul. One player, not even Taylor Hall, is going to make much a difference. We need to be adding to young assets, not trading several away to get one back.

GhostofKenKlee

Some of you are really out there in terms of what to give up.

Primeau, Strom and Brad Stuart for Thornton

Kovalenko, Ruchkinsky and Thibealt for Roy and Keane

Cormier, oduya, Bergfors and a pick for Kovalchuk and 2nd.

Dionne, LeClair and Desjardins for Reechi

I mean, there is a huge disconnect between fandom and what happens in the NHL.

NHL Fanatik*

How about our entire defensive corps not close to reaching their potential yet? Add elite forward prospect or two and you're have one of the best futures in the league (on paper at least).

Okay so where exactly are these prospects coming from? And two of them?

Mediocrity doesnt get you elite talents. Im sure we will draft a D man as well.

GhostofKenKlee

So we have a Gelinas as the sole piece of quality to trade and rebuild this team?

It is as if every fan has Lou's mentality. You put guys like Zajac off limits, yet this team has zero identity, so I am confused as to why that is.

Only tWO measly players up front and the rest are up for grabs, I'm a real hoarder. Join us in reality, if Lou and the Devils extended Henrique and Zajac and Greene it's a signal as well as Cory it's a signal of what they think of them.

GhostofKenKlee

Instead of speaking in hyperbole of "elite talents" please let us know which ones are truly available. Short of Malkin/Crosby and that tier of player.

Your thinking is flawed, every team could use elite talents up front and on D. How many Webers and or cornerstone players are dealt every day? Because there are 30 teams vying for that type of player.

NHL Fanatik*

I see zero reason to keep Schneider. He will be much older by the time we can even think about trying for the playoffs.

I still dont like that signing. Not one bit. Trade him. I dont need a goalie stealing this team games that will only hurt us.

Yes, essentially I am saying tanking is the only way. If someone knows a better route. Id like to know.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Who cares what Fans offer:shakehead

I'm more interested in what happens when he's actually dealt by people that matter.

Look at the trade board, it's some of the worst offers of all time.

With that being said, Devils should only keep Henrique, Zajac up front OFF the table and Severson, Merrill, Larrson on D and Cory OFF the table. Anything else is an asset to be dealt including the 1st. next year.

then who the hell do you trade? :laugh:

you guys are not realizing how good Hall is.

GhostofKenKlee

I see zero reason to keep Schneider. He will be much older by the time we can even think about trying for the playoffs.

I still dont like that signing. Not one bit. Trade him. I dont need a goalie stealing this team games that will only hurt us.

Yes, essentially I am saying tanking is the only way. If someone knows a better route. Id like to know.

Lolz...

Fire up the PS4 GM Mode, wait seven years for a dynasty!!!!

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
We don't have to trade any of those guys...

But I am curious what good it does us to pay them for the next 2-3-4 years while we sulk in mediocrity? Unless we draft top 3 this year, this team only sets back another year. Than, after so long, Greene is 35+ and Schneider is like 32... And thats just when we start changing...

Unless Lou has some major rehaul in one trade up his sleeve, I dont see how trading older vets for youth and a better chance at a franchise 1C is as awful as people make it sound.

I get it won't happen, but the concept is to be different here. Everyone else has these insane ideas that Zajac or Larsson will bring back anything worth while, where instead I see Greene and Schneider as out best two pieces. Not to mention without them we are definitely drafting high, every other team can do it so why can't NJ?

Just saying. Mediocrity will be the worst thing to happen to this team. It will only give off false ideas while holding us back from gaining any real talent.

find me the last time ANY team in ANY sport traded its 3 best players at their position not only at one time but in the SAME trade.

NHL Fanatik*

Only tWO measly players up front and the rest are up for grabs, I'm a real hoarder. Join us in reality, if Lou and the Devils extended Henrique and Zajac and Greene it's a signal as well as Cory it's a signal of what they think of them.

Oh right. I forgot Jagr Elias Ryder Clowe and other bottom six hold such value.

GhostofKenKlee

Oh right. I forgot Jagr Elias Ryder Clowe and other bottom six hold such value.

What value are looking for? Trading Henrique? You and others are in LALA land if you think that Lou deals three young players he thought highly enough to give long term contracts to.

Welcome to NJ, where fans moan that players don't want to sign here and trade the players that do! Brilliant..

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

You draft them....

Just a heads up, this isn't a mediocre team. They're one of the worst in the league.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005

Buffalo came to a similar conclusion with Ryan Miller. Is Schneider a top 12 goalie? Absolutely. Do we really need a top 12 goalie making top 5 money at his respective position at this point in time? Probably not. And you can extrapolate this logic to other players (Zajac) as you work your way down the roster. Henrique is the only piece that you really can't trade due to his age, upside and controlled salary going forward.

GhostofKenKlee

Messier for Nicholls, DeBrusk and Steven Rice.

Louie Erickson for Tyler Seguin.

Rick Nash for a mixed bag of players.

I can go on, don't fall into the trap of Oilers fans that every young player they have is worth more than their weight in gold.

NHL Fanatik*

Buffalo came to a similar conclusion with Ryan Miller. Is Schneider a top 12 goalie? Absolutely. Do we really need a top 12 goalie making top 5 money at his respective position at this point in time? Probably not. And you can extrapolate this logic to other players (Zajac) as you work your way down the roster. Henrique is the only piece that you really can't trade due to his age, upside and controlled salary going forward.

Exactly. I don't know why Lou decided to sign Schneider to that long-term contract, I personally think it shows his ineptitude and the fact that he thinks this team is in one place while were truly in another.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Ryan Miller is like 6 years older than Cory is

but nice try.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Exactly. I don't know why Lou decided to sign Schneider to that long-term contract, I personally think it shows his ineptitude and the fact that he thinks this team is in one place while were truly in another.

I rip on Lou probably more than anyone here, but signing Schneider had to be done

if he didn't sign him and let him go for nothing, the same people would be crying about how we didn't have a goalie. THAT kind of crap I can't get behind.

GhostofKenKlee

Lolz, when he proactive he gets ripped. You and your pal would rip for NOT getting Cory.

NHL Fanatik*

Management is building this team like were a couple years from contention...

I said a long time ago it would take at least five years for this team to make the playoffs again. One year in (IIRC) and it seems I am not far off at all.

And people thought I was crazy when I said that a year ago. Does it seem that crazy now? Who really thinks we will make the playoffs, after this year, in three years??

No one I imagine.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Messier for Nicholls, DeBrusk and Steven Rice.

Louie Erickson for Tyler Seguin.

Rick Nash for a mixed bag of players.

I can go on, don't fall into the trap of Oilers fans that every young player they have is worth more than their weight in gold.

Rick Nash got two top 9 NHLers and a 1st round pick. he also makes more than Hall and was ~5 years older than Hall was when he was traded

the Seguin situation was because of his perceived attitude. Boston also got Reilly Smith

GhostofKenKlee

I rip on Lou probably more than anyone here, but signing Schneider had to be done

if he didn't sign him and let him go for nothing, the same people would be crying about how we didn't have a goalie. THAT kind of crap I can't get behind.

I like your style you suprise from time and time.

But when the rough gets going for this team, the manifestos of some fans come up and rants given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad