Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
dude, theres no way Edmonton does that

Hall is a top 2-3 LW in the entire league

I'm saying if the situation gets to the point where they go from "discussing" him to actively shopping him.

In which case, they're trading a skilled headache for what would be an elite 2C (on their team, not so much on ours).

Zajac would be one hell of an asset for Edmonton. Who else would offer a better chip? The only possible scenario I can think of is Krejci in Boston, but they seem keen on keeping him around.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I wouldn't even consider trading the pick until after the lottery. We were fortunate enough to be able to watch Scott Niedermayer because someone was dumb enough to do that.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
That's absurd. We can't be that careless when handling young assets.

We have good supply of young promising defensemen and ZERO promising forward prospects. How does no one get that you're going to have to deal from a surplus and GIVE SOMETHING to get something in return.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I'm saying if the situation gets to the point where they go from "discussing" him to actively shopping him.

In which case, they're trading a skilled headache for what would be an elite 2C (on their team, not so much on ours).

Zajac would be one hell of an asset for Edmonton. Who else would offer a better chip? The only possible scenario I can think of is Krejci in Boston, but they seem keen on keeping him around.

plenty of other people.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
If the Hall situation gets increasingly caustic in Edmonton, I wonder if they'd be keen on a trade involving Hall for Zajac+something small.

If you're Edmonton, would you?

You have to think a lot of teams could put together a much better package than that for a guy that looks like he just need a change of scenery to get back to being a pt per game player. It looks terrible now but Loui Erickson was a 70 pt player when he was traded for a much less proven Seguin at the time. The last thing the Oilers need to do now is get totally ripped off. If Edmonton is looking to do a trade with us, I would think they would be asking Merrill + Henrique, which I don't think helps us any.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I think many are missing the broader point behind NHL Fanatik's post.

Trading Zajac, Greene and Schneider certainly seems like overpayment for Hall. That said, I'm not clear on why people who say they are frustrated with the direction of the team are afraid to trade players who are 30+ for young talent. Hall may not be the right guy, and the proposal may not make sense, but the idea of trading from the Devils "core" needs to be considered.

IMO, goaltending talent is easier to find these days, so Schneider is a significant trade chip for the Devils. He turns 29 this year. Zajac turns 30 this season. Andy Greene is already 32.

The only reason to keep these guys around is if they can help groom the next generation. I don't think trading all of them is a good idea, but I do think Henrique could step in an fill Zajac's void, and I do think we could find a lesser but suitable replacement for Schneider (Kinky or someone else).

I hated when Lou made the Arnott + McKay / Nieuwy + Langs deal, but it made the team better. Gotta give to get.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
The Devils are in no position to trade away futures. The Devils need to be acquiring futures. Trading Larsson and Boucher now? They'll get low return because they are unproven / potential busts, and they won't get any younger. It's possible that the Devils will need to include a youngster in a deal (just like Dallas did with Seguin), but the centerpiece of any deal should be older player from the Devils for younger player from another team.

The Devils need to trade with teams that are looking to win now - that's where the best fit will be.

CKPLAYA

Ping Pong Ball Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown
Dear God.. Do you want us to suck ? Greene/Schneider/Zajac would make us AWFUL

No way Edmonton makes that deal. Their contracts alone are prohibitive. Those three guys combined are owed over $110 mil in money. Edmonton will never pick those deals up. Not to mention neither one of those guys is worth their deal. Zajac's contract will go down as one of the worst deals Lou has ever signed. Cory's could very well be #2. I won't include Clowe's because they may get financial relief if he's LTIR.

CKPLAYA

Ping Pong Ball Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown
a team cannot trade its best center, best DMan, and best goalie all in one trade.

that is moronic.

Just because they are considered the best the devils have doesn't make really matter. The best of a bad bunch still means they are bad. So to speak. That's lost on the majority of people here.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Just because they are considered the best the devils have doesn't make really matter. The best of a bad bunch still means they are bad. So to speak. That's lost on the majority of people here.

so if you are the best player on a bad team, you're still bad?

Dallas is bad, does that mean Seguin sucks?

what a silly blanket statement.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
yea, for Edmonton

Boucher is not that great of a prospect.

Boucher aside, you're giving up a lottery pick in the one of the deepest drafts in recent memory and Adam Larsson for Taylor Hall already making a huge salary? Just keep Larsson and use the lottery pick on an offensive prospect.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Boucher aside, you're giving up a lottery pick in the one of the deepest drafts in recent memory and Adam Larsson for Taylor Hall already making a huge salary? Just keep Larsson and use the lottery pick on an offensive prospect.

I'm not saying I disagree, I am saying that is the type of deal that Edmonton would want

again, go check the trade board. Dallas fans offered Nichushkin, Oleksiak, and a 2015 1st (they are near us in the standings).

Taylor Hall is arguably a top 10 forward in the NHL.

jerseydevil

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Hey ZBC - I think its time to sign Gomer to an extension! HAHA!!

Also, my final prediction may still come true..40 pts from Gomer and its a clean sweep!

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This year's first should not be going anywhere in a trade until at least after the lottery.

GhostofKenKlee

I'm not saying I disagree, I am saying that is the type of deal that Edmonton would want

again, go check the trade board. Dallas fans offered Nichushkin, Oleksiak, and a 2015 1st (they are near us in the standings).

Taylor Hall is arguably a top 10 forward in the NHL.

Who cares what Fans offer:shakehead

I'm more interested in what happens when he's actually dealt by people that matter.

Look at the trade board, it's some of the worst offers of all time.

With that being said, Devils should only keep Henrique, Zajac up front OFF the table and Severson, Merrill, Larrson on D and Cory OFF the table. Anything else is an asset to be dealt including the 1st. next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

NHL Fanatik*

We don't have to trade any of those guys...

But I am curious what good it does us to pay them for the next 2-3-4 years while we sulk in mediocrity? Unless we draft top 3 this year, this team only sets back another year. Than, after so long, Greene is 35+ and Schneider is like 32... And thats just when we start changing...

Unless Lou has some major rehaul in one trade up his sleeve, I dont see how trading older vets for youth and a better chance at a franchise 1C is as awful as people make it sound.

I get it won't happen, but the concept is to be different here. Everyone else has these insane ideas that Zajac or Larsson will bring back anything worth while, where instead I see Greene and Schneider as out best two pieces. Not to mention without them we are definitely drafting high, every other team can do it so why can't NJ?

Just saying. Mediocrity will be the worst thing to happen to this team. It will only give off false ideas while holding us back from gaining any real talent.

NHL Fanatik*

Who cares what Fans offer:shakehead

I'm more interested in what happens when he's actually dealt by people that matter.

Look at the trade board, it's some of the worst offers of all time.

With that being said, Devils should only keep Henrique, Zajac up front OFF the table and Severson, Merrill, Larrson on D and Cory OFF the table. Anything else is an asset to be dealt.

So we have a Gelinas as the sole piece of quality to trade and rebuild this team?

It is as if every fan has Lou's mentality. You put guys like Zajac off limits, yet this team has zero identity, so I am confused as to why that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad