Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Whatever Oates is trying to teach or implement hasn't made any of our forwards better at all. I've seen zero improvement from them, they're actually worse than last year. I don't want him anywhere near this team again.

Last edited:

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Forward management on this team needs to be better, too. The amount of ice time Gionta received in that last game of the season in Florida is a perfect example of that. Our best forwards need to play more and our worse forwards need to play less. Our grinder forwards shouldn't be deployed when trying to tie games and in must score situations. Poor asset management in regard to our forward corps weakens this team even further offensively.

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007
Forward management on this team needs to be better, too. The amount of ice time Gionta received in that last game of the season in Florida is a perfect example of that. Our best forwards need to play more and our worse forwards need to play less. Our grinder forwards shouldn't be deployed when trying to tie games and in must score situations. Poor asset management in regard to our forward corps weakens this team even further offensively.

You're citing an exhibition game, and half the season were exhibition games. I'm not worried about Stephen Gionta's ice time. He's been on the 4th line and the PK. That's fine.

We don't have many assets anyway. I don't have a problem with the icetimes. I have a problem with who we're trotting out there. It's expansion team bad.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
you don't have a problem with Stephen Gionta and Dainius Zubrus getting 20 minutes a night while Matteau and Boucher alternate sitting in the press box?

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007
you don't have a problem with Stephen Gionta and Dainius Zubrus getting 20 minutes a night while Matteau and Boucher alternate sitting in the press box?

Not in the last few weeks of the season no. It didn't matter at that point. Let Zubrus play his career out. He's done. Gionta was injured teh last couple weeks anyway.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Not in the last few weeks of the season no. It didn't matter at that point. Let Zubrus play his career out. He's done. Gionta was injured teh last couple weeks anyway.

Zubrus is signed for next season as is Gionta. Gionta played 20 minutes the other night.

in games that are literally meaningless in the standings, isn't that when we SHOULD be playing all the young guys to give them a shot? what does playing those other turds prove, exactly?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Zubrus is signed for next season as is Gionta. Gionta played 20 minutes the other night.

in games that are literally meaningless in the standings, isn't that when we SHOULD be playing all the young guys to give them a shot? what does playing those other turds prove, exactly?

I don't understand why they aren't playing Boucher and Matteau more regularly. However, per Zubrus and Gionta, they've been playing those two in a shutdown role against other teams top lines. In a way, it's annoying that they get those kind of minutes, but at the same time, I would rather have them getting those minutes while the rest of our forwards get more of a chance offensively against lesser opponents.

Ideally, if this team were good, Henrique or Zajac would be going against top lines while also driving play, like they have in the past. However, when that stops, I would rather waste Gionta and Zubrus on the defense oriented roles.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Is Lou going to try to trade at least Gionta?

I think he's useful in the right role. The problem is the roles he's been getting lately.

He's almost become what Anderson and Whitney have been in Albany. Journeymen stop gaps while young talent starts to come through. Sometimes you need those players to keep the pressure off young guys, even if it's frustrating to watch.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I love how he calls it the 'unauthorized' team awards poll...TG's such a troll sometimes :laugh:

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Well I think Bernier, Gomez and Tootoo will be brought back. I wouldn't mind Bernier and Gomez penciled into a 3rd line role. Tootoo as a 4th line RW is fine with me. Zubrus is useless now, and should be bought out. Matteau perhaps gets the LW spot next to Josefson and Tootoo. Don't think Boucher will be ready but we will see.

Don't think we can roll with Zajac and Elias as the top 2 centers. Zajac is not a top line center, he has proven it unless he has a star that he has great chemistry with (Parise). Offensively he can't create anything on his own so he needs to have 2 good wingers.

Not sure if they move Henrique back to center, but his flexibility is a good asset. We defintely need 2 top 6 RWers. This roster seems like it will take a while to fix up front.

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007

Yes and No. Zubrus will be bought out and likely his career will be finished. He's played 1350 games gave a lot of games to this team, in the grand scheme, I really don't care if he plays more than what he should. It didn't matter.

Gionta played a shred under 20 min in Tampa, but also almost 7 of which was SH time.

Who are you going to take out? Ruutu? Everyone else, even Ruutu, to an extent, earned the right to be there. Veterans are veterans. Those guys played, they can learn by watching, it is what it is. Season is over and couple games here and there is meaningless in the grand picture.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
theres no way they buy Zubrus out. I will be STUNNED if that happens.

NONE of them "earned" the right to be there sans a select few. the forwards were an abomination this season outside of Henrique, Gomez, and Cammalleri

thats the main problem. seemingly no accountability on this team.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
theres no way they buy Zubrus out. I will be STUNNED if that happens.

NONE of them "earned" the right to be there sans a select few. the forwards were an abomination this season outside of Henrique, Gomez, and Cammalleri

thats the main problem. seemingly no accountability on this team.

Bernier actually had a hell of a season. Which is sad, because really what he produced is the bare minimum of what someone should expect of a winger getting top 6 and powerplay time on a consistent basis. Really speaks to how bad the forwards as a whole are.

This team won't be competitive until the Berniers and Gomezes of the world are 3rd liners that fill in when needed, and I don't see that happening in one offseason.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Yes and No. Zubrus will be bought out and likely his career will be finished. He's played 1350 games gave a lot of games to this team, in the grand scheme, I really don't care if he plays more than what he should. It didn't matter.

Gionta played a shred under 20 min in Tampa, but also almost 7 of which was SH time.

Who are you going to take out? Ruutu? Everyone else, even Ruutu, to an extent, earned the right to be there. Veterans are veterans. Those guys played, they can learn by watching, it is what it is. Season is over and couple games here and there is meaningless in the grand picture.

Ruutu has 21 points in 96 games as a Devil. Zubrus just had one of the worst seasons I have ever seen a player have on this team. Gionta is a career AHLer. None of them have earned the right to do anything.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Cammalleri and Henrique are the only legitimate top six guys on the team right now. Players like Zajac and Elias are third liners at this point in their careers. Gomez had a nice year but you can't reasonably expect him to hit 50 points next year at his age.

We essentially need four new players to have a real top six.

Even if you optimistically pencil in Boucher to one of those slots, you still need three top-6 guys. There is no way in hell Lou is that aggressive in free agency. He'll sign some crappy 30 year old to a 4 year deal and talk about that one time he scored a really nice goal against us in 2007.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Cammalleri and Henrique are the only legitimate top six guys on the team right now. Players like Zajac and Elias are third liners at this point in their careers. Gomez had a nice year but you can't reasonably expect him to hit 50 points next year at his age.

Even if you optimistically pencil in Boucher to one of those slots, you still need three top-6 guys. There is no way in hell Lou is that aggressive in free agency. He'll sign some crappy 30 year old to a 4 year deal and talk about that one time he scored a really nice goal against us in 2007.

in the past few years, I've called Zubrus signing here, I've called Rolston coming back, and I called Havlat

remember the name Drew Stafford. thats my prediction this summer. 4 years, $20 million.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Whatever Oates is trying to teach or implement hasn't made any of our forwards better at all. I've seen zero improvement from them, they're actually worse than last year. I don't want him anywhere near this team again.

When you have an old team, you can expect regression. Anyone who expects the forwards to play well when you have Bernier and Tootoo as your top 6 RWers needs to reassess their standards.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto

Elias was basically producing at 0.5 ppg this season. I'd be interested in seeing how he produces with better linemates. He had Zubrus and Gionta, both of who probably are below average 4th liners in terms of offensive ability. Patty will be a year older though.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
I'm going with Justin Williams. 3 years, $12 million.

Just reeks of a Louis move. Mid 30's scorer who is just about to decline like Ryder. Lou will talk about how great he his in the playoffs. Too bad were not close to being a playoff team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad