Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I just realized I never finished the top twenty Devils rankings that I started during the lockout. I might have to finish it after this seasons over. There's not much that'll change from the original rankings anyways l.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
@NHLDevilsPR: Lines at today's practice:
Cammalleri Zajac Tootoo
Henrique Elias Gionta
Boucher Gomez Bernier
Ruutu Josefson Zubrus

First thing: I atually kinda like this, in terms of mostly being the top-12 forwards, no Harrold, and a fourth line where Josefson can at least pretend he's an actual NHL player.

Second thing: that has to be the literal worst group of RWs in the league. I'd trade those four with Buffalo just to get Ennis.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
That is the absolute most moronic thing I've ever heard. A stick is so personal...

If a coach insisted on me changing my stick length or curve we would be fighting.

I remember hearing things about Deboer making "recommendations" on changes to sticks, didn't he get a bunch of guys playing with Stamkos' model or something? But that stuff on Oates just sounds absurd. I'd love to see more negative Oates info come out before Lou gets a chance to hire a coach.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Presumably Clarkson's been playing with the same stick the last 2 1/2 seasons when his production went to ****. It's just more confirmation of what we already knew of Oates' OCD/anal tendencies.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Oh come on.

You guys make it sound like Oates *forced* someone to change his stick.

I'm sure he suggested changing curve or length for someone who was struggling.

Other coaches have suggested changes to players which resulted in great success.

This is simply one for the axe-grinders. I was expecting the report to be filled with all of this evil sins during his Caps tenure, and instead the worst thing was that perennial underachiever Marcus Johannson got a little out of his comfort zone...

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
@NHLDevilsPR: Lines at today's practice:
Cammalleri Zajac Tootoo
Henrique Elias Gionta
Boucher Gomez Bernier
Ruutu Josefson Zubrus

First thing: I atually kinda like this, in terms of mostly being the top-12 forwards, no Harrold, and a fourth line where Josefson can at least pretend he's an actual NHL player.

Second thing: that has to be the literal worst group of RWs in the league. I'd trade those four with Buffalo just to get Ennis.

Please tell me Matteau isn't getting benched already.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If he or Boucher is going to get sat here then just send them back to Albany to help their last ditch run, cause really what's the point of sitting either one now that they're here?

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Isn't Matteau in his contract year? And he's not exempt from waivers next season too? I was under the assumption that was the case, and Lou would want to get a feel for not only his value but if he seems NHL-ready. Even if that isn't true, I'd hate to see him benched already after playing really well against the Kings.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Matteau is skating as an extra forward in practice while Gionta is in the top 6. What a joke.

Makes no sense to me. I didn't actually get to see Matteau against the Kings since I was at work, but everyone's reviews of his performance were positive, so I don't understand benching him or using him as just the extra forward already. He could use the experience and the team could use some new blood infusion.

GhostofKenKlee

Gionta and Harrold are clearly loved. I would sit Zubrus and say what Boucher and Matteau have at this point.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Like Jim said, I think it's more of a positional thing. Matteau is a LW and we've already got 4 of them in (5 with Zubrus, who is playing RW).

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Gionta and Harrold are clearly loved. I would sit Zubrus and say what Boucher and Matteau have at this point.
The fact that Zubrus hasn't been healthy scratched one time this year is ridiculous.
In all fairness, I don't think this staff would use Matteau at RW...Ruutu or Boucher is in his spot right now.

Then scratch Ruutu. I forget he's even on this team half the time. Does he really need to play every night, at this stage of the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad