Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
We're probably looking at 2-3 years in the NHL wilderness EVEN with productive drafts going forward.

I know that, I posted the same. Probably 2 more years of mediocrity, significant improvement and potential playoff appearances year 3/4, and an elite team in year 5. That's only under the condition that the rebuild is done right and our scouts do their job at the draft. Not a sure thing by any means, but possible.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Tim Sestito.... Devils legend.

New Jersey Devils ‏@NHLDevils 4s4 seconds ago
#NJDevils assign F Tim Sestito to @AlbanyDevils.

Devils-logic:
"Hey maybe Cammalleri is coming back"
"Hey, maybe Lou is making a trade"

Devils-reality:
Mike Sislo back in the lineup.
Devils call up Rod Pelley.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
He had no choice? Really? Now drafting instead of scrambling to fill a roster, isn't a choice?

Come on man. I understand we needed a goaltender, but you're telling me they had no choice but to try and make this team a contender?

If thats the case than Lou should be fired immediately. He is only setting this team back while attempting to make us contenders.

I don't think everyone understands the punishment a 'full rebuild' really entails.

You NEVER want your team to drop to Edmonton levels, because it is very likely the young talent you get never sees what it takes to win.

Ideally, you are always at least making the playoffs so the young kids see what it takes - even if you aren't a true contender.

I thought Schneider alone could keep you in the playoffs - not sure if I still believe that.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I just looked and 11 of the 20 Vezina winners have been over 30.

The Average age of the last 20 is 30.3

I found this interesting :dunno:

2013-14 NHL Tuukka Rask 26
2012-13 NHL Sergei Bobrovsky 24
2011-12 NHL Henrik Lundqvist 29
2010-11 NHL Tim Thomas 36
2009-10 NHL Ryan Miller 29
2008-09 NHL Tim Thomas 34
2007-08 NHL Martin Brodeur 35
2006-07 NHL Martin Brodeur 34
2005-06 NHL Miikka Kiprusoff 29
2003-04 NHL Martin Brodeur 31
2002-03 NHL Martin Brodeur 30
2001-02 NHL Jose Theodore 25
2000-01 NHL Dominik Hasek 36
1999-00 NHL Olaf Kolzig 29
1998-99 NHL Dominik Hasek 34
1997-98 NHL Dominik Hasek 33
1996-97 NHL Dominik Hasek 32
1995-96 NHL Jim Carey 21
1994-95 NHL Dominik Hasek 30
1993-94 NHL Dominik Hasek 29

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Compete next year?

Im all for optimism, but who gave you a beer?

I'm saying if Lou plays his hand right.

If he sells off our vets, stock piles valuable picks in a deep draft, drafts wisely (hopefully a forward with a top-5 pick), packages some of those picks with our young guns to return solid young forward help, makes the right UFA signings.... we could be a good team next year. It's not that far-fetched.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
He had no choice? Really? Now drafting instead of scrambling to fill a roster, isn't a choice?

Come on man. I understand we needed a goaltender, but you're telling me they had no choice but to try and make this team a contender?

If thats the case than Lou should be fired immediately. He is only setting this team back while attempting to make us contenders.

Are we forgetting Severson, Gelinas, Larsson, Merrill and Helgeson? I guess they fell off the face of the Earth.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
If you have the time, a thorough job analyzing our drafting over the years.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...medium=share&utm_campaign=web-des-art-top-114

It's more than eye opening just how bad its been.

Pete should be axed no questions, but, Country Club Conte and his good ole boy network should also be shown the door.

The most truthful statement gleaned from that article.

It seems like this happened overnight, but when you put this franchise under a microscope, this has been coming down the pike for at least a decade.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
Conte has been pretty brutal. He's hit on the defensive prospects, but what a **** storm in terms of drafting talented forwards.

just pathetic.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
the problem is the lack of drafting high upside forwards (outside of Tedenby)

it seems like they always draft the safe forward and hope that that guy can pan out (ala Henrique)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
If you have the time, a thorough job analyzing our drafting over the years.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...medium=share&utm_campaign=web-des-art-top-114

It's more than eye opening just how bad its been.

Pete should be axed no questions, but, Country Club Conte and his good ole boy network should also be shown the door.

Lozo is kind of a tool but he does know his stuff, especially when it comes to the Devils. This is good, damning stuff. Conte should be ashamed.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Conte has been pretty brutal. He's hit on the defensive prospects, but what a **** storm in terms of drafting talented forwards.

just pathetic.

And its the main reason why this team can't win hockey games.

On the defense prospects, they are still in a wait and see stage.
Let's review how they turn out in a few seasons before patting Conte on the back as well.

From what I can tell, Severson looks like the real deal while the others up in NJ have shown flashes of potentially being solid but they are not home runs, yet.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The most truthful statement gleaned from that article.

It seems like this happened overnight, but when you put this franchise under a microscope, this has been coming down the pike for at least a decade.

Yup, like I was talking about last week, the piss poor drafting over the the last decade has led to Lou having to fill holes with UFA signings.

Most of them have not worked out, at all.

If our drafting had been better we would have instead seen these draft picks competing for jobs and stepping into the lineup.

Instead, the prospect cupboard has been mostly barren, especially at forward, and then we end up with kneejerk signings or re-signings that simply have bombed.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
the problem is the lack of drafting high upside forwards (outside of Tedenby)

it seems like they always draft the safe forward and hope that that guy can pan out (ala Henrique)

Adrian Foster, Nicklas Bergfors, Peter Vrana(2nd round), Alexander Vasyunov(2nd round)...

It's largeley due to the draft position though...Picking at 25 the high skill players available have large questions about them, size, strength, transferable skills....if they didn't they would have gone already...So you are looking to get a player with that pick and typically the best available in terms of projectable players are the utility types.

Look at the forwards who typically get taken in the bottom of the first round...They are often the Brian Boyle's the Stephan Matteau's or the Tanner Pearson's...The projectable frame maybe quationable scoring forwards, but NHL projections

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
How did I know you would be the one to say this?

Sorry to lump the last 5 years in and say the Devils have had 14 years of bad drafting is pure stupidity.

Our drafting has gotten significantly better in recent years and that yum-yum wants to call it 14 years of bad drafting...

7 guys played last night from the 2008 to the 2012 drafts...3 from the 2009 draft alone and their are more on the cusp.

Last edited:

schoenfeld

2 Way Contract
Dec 10, 2006
things ive learned today:

there isnt a place in the modern error NHL for guys like john madden

jason arnott was not a "devils type player"

boy i wish i was some millienial aged nitwit who knew everything about hockey! Nothing that happened before the release of NHL 06 for PS2 matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad