Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
not a huge fan of clowe-henrique-ryder either. they were given too many opportunities last season and didnt show much, aside from a couple brief stretches.

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
My opening night prediction --

Cammalleri-Zajac-Jagr
Clowe-Henrique-Ryder
Havlat-Elias-Zubrus
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Greene-Merrill
Larsson-Gelinas
Salvador-Zidlicky

Schneider

Scr - Clemmenson, Harrold, Brunner, Ruutu

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I think it is preferable to have 6 forwards atleast that kill penalties. Those 4 along with maybe Ruutu and I don't know who else out of this group. Definitely not Ryder or Brunner. Clowe and Havlat, can't see them being on the PK. Cammalleri is possible but not sure. Jagr for sure no. Gomez don't think so either. That would be the advantage of having a Carter, Gionta, or Josefson as the 4th line C and having them on the pk.

Ruutu, Camm and Clowe have been killing some penalties this preseason.
They're alright (against weakened rosters, of course) -- but the PK is best when it's running aggressive, and I don't think they're up to speed in that regard yet.
But they definitely need somebody else if one of the top 4 PKers are in the box.

not a huge fan of clowe-henrique-ryder either. they were given too many opportunities last season and didnt show much, aside from a couple brief stretches.

Henrique and Ryder seem to have conflicting playing styles.
I don't know which other center you give to Ryder, though. He's a very hard piece to fit into the puzzle sometimes.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
My opening night prediction --

Cammalleri-Zajac-Jagr
Clowe-Henrique-Ryder
Havlat-Elias-Zubrus
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Greene-Merrill
Larsson-Gelinas
Salvador-Zidlicky

Schneider

Scr - Clemmenson, Harrold, Brunner, Ruutu

Mike+Woodson+Face.gif

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Sooooo again,
Has Havlat been on PP?

And will Zajac get banned from NHL for taking an overdose of Rogaine? :laugh:

We have a lot of options on the PP.

1st unit could be:
Cammalleri-Zajac-Jagr
Zidlicky-Merrill

2nd unit could be:
Clowe-Henrique-Elias
Greene/Gomez-Gelinas

I don't see room for Havlat, Ryder or Brunner. I like Clowe a lot on the PP, think he does a great job at making good passes. Though I could see them putting Ryder beside Henrique instead of Clowe.

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
Lol why would you scratch Brunner and Ruutu for carter, Gionta, and bernier. No way Pete does that

TC said:
That versatility can’t hurt Carter in his bid to make the team. He’s been an important cog at left wing on the fourth line with Stephen Gionta at center and Steve Bernier on the right side since the 2012 playoffs. It appears that line might be on the verge of extinction, but DeBoer said it is still possible that line could be together for the start of the regular season.

“Everything’s possible,†DeBoer said. “What I like about those guys is they do have some chemistry. I think last year we played Bernier up at different points early out of necessity. Some nights they played as our third line and, for me, played too many minutes. When they get up into the 14-minute range either individually or as a group, they’re not as effective. So, I think I’m partially responsible for them maybe not being as effective as they could have been last year.

“But I know what they’re capable of in that fourth line role and that’s something we have to consider.â€

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/f...-kind-of-fourth-line-do-devils-want-1.1101229

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
It's tough to call, we gave Bernier and Gionta 1-way contracts so it's naive to expect that they won't feature whatsoever; but at the same time we clearly have better options.

I imagine something will be done in the next week to cut down the sheer volume of forwards we have on our roster, at that point it will be a bit easier to predict the roles that Carter, Gionta and Bernier may or may not have with this team.

It does feel slightly as though we rushed to re-sign them and then decided to go in a different direction altogether in terms of our 4th line forwards. Perhaps the new ownership doesn't care if we have a couple of one-way contracts sitting in the minors to provide us with depth, it's not like they're on absurd money or anything. They've been with the franchise a while and would be good mentors to the youngsters in Albany if sent down, or could just be healthy scratches on the main roster, depth is never a bad thing.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
A big shoutout to Pete Harrold. 7th defensemen who doesn't complain and gets paid 800K. Can't find other serviceable defensemen like that in the league.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
The CBGB line are DeBoer's guys. He's not every going to say bad things about them.

Lou handcuffed Deboer a bit, because it's very hard to justify starting CBGB over Ruutu and Brunner.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
If CBGB play over Ruutu and Brunner then Pete needs to be fired immediately. Gionta and Bernier aren't even NHL players and Carter has shown nothing this preseason to warrant a job.

GhostofKenKlee

So I'm seeing alot of pundits having the Devils finishing above the Canes. But yet, also stress it's tough to handicap the metro.

GhostofKenKlee

The only fourth liner I can take as a regular is Carter.

My Ideal lineup:

Camm Zajac Jagr
Clowe Henrique Brunner
Havlat Elias Ryder
Zubrus Gomez Ruutu

Carter
Gio

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
If CBGB play over Ruutu and Brunner then Pete needs to be fired immediately. Gionta and Bernier aren't even NHL players and Carter has shown nothing this preseason to warrant a job.

Broadly speaking, I agree. Brunner and Ruutu need to be given an opportunity to fail first. But, the Brunner who floated through multiple games last year should absolutely not be guaranteed a spot in the line-up. If he can't produce, I have no problem with Pete benching him in favor of any of CBGB.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I'm not sure Brunner will be successful playing 4th line minutes. Rutuu-Gomer-Carter could do some damage. Carter and Rutuu can both be nasty and Gomer adds some skill to the line. I don't know, we just have to many forwards who are decent but different. However, if Bernier is playing over any of those other players, something is definitely wrong with the organational choices.

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
I think it's pretty likely the fourth line wingers will be Ruutu and Brunner to start. The real question is who among Carter/Gomez/Josefson/Gionta is going to center them.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Cbgb odds are will never be reunited. Someone has to be sent away for carter to be signed. Same with Gomez. Literally no room. Someone has to go and waiving is easier then a trade so Bernier is the easiest option.

Pete can say all the nice things he want. Simple numbers game means it's not happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad