Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Vojtech Mozik to Entry-level Deal

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Apparently NYR say they've been grooming this guy for a few years. They sent people over to develop him, like nutritionists and trainers and such.

Then why didn't they just sign him before chasing after every single Tom, Dick and Harry college FA around?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Thanks for the assessment.

I'm curious what makes you think Kalinin has 40 point upside though. His production in the KHL was bad prior to 14-15 and pretty decent in 14-15. He's young, but it's not like he's 18 and put up 25 points. Have you seen him play?

We shouldn't expect more than 15-20 points.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Honestly, we shouldn't be expecting an NHL player. Certainly would be nice to steal a useful NHL player for free like that, but it's more likely he's our next Salmela. Though I guess even that would be a bit of a win.
I think he meant 15-20 for Kalinin.

Mozik, I would imagine will be in Albany.

But who knows with Kalinin, we've seen young guys type cast into defensive roles when they certainly can do more...like a Holik or a McKay... I'm certainly not saying that he is that, but we have seen guys go from 30 to 60+ points when given a more offensive role.

Kalanin only just turned 24 years old in March, so the majority of his last KHL he was 23 and it appears he had somewhat of a breakout season. Being nothing more than hopeful, maybe, just maybe you have a sound defensive player with untapped offensive ability that was cast in a checking role?

lamini

Nov 30, 2011
Prostějov
who??

edit: comes from a good place it seems

0,,687837_7,00.jpg

:cheers:

Last time NJD signed FA from that place they went to SCF :naughty:

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I think he meant 15-20 for Kalinin.

Mozik, I would imagine will be in Albany.

But who knows with Kalinin, we've seen young guys type cast into defensive roles when they certainly can do more...like a Holik or a McKay... I'm certainly not saying that he is that, but we have seen guys go from 30 to 60+ points when given a more offensive role.

Kalanin only just turned 24 years old in March, so the majority of his last KHL he was 23 and it appears he had somewhat of a breakout season. Being nothing more than hopeful, maybe, just maybe you have a sound defensive player with untapped offensive ability that was cast in a checking role?

From what little video of Kalinin there is online, I'm wondering if his game might be better suited to smaller ice. He seemed to like working the corners and crashing the net. I'm curious how well he does.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
From what little video of Kalinin there is online, I'm wondering if his game might be better suited to smaller ice. He seemed to like working the corners and crashing the net. I'm curious how well he does.

I've only seen youtube clips and he seems to have a nice 2nd gear...In a lot of the clips I saw he seems to put on a short burst of speed to get around people.

It is so hard to tell anything from youtube clips but he looks like he plays more of a North American style. It is also interesting that there are a few fight clips of him and he looks pretty good doing that too.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Or the rags just gave up on him...

Which is weird considering he took off this season. I bet there was some verbal agreement but i think he got sick of waiting so he went elsewhere. Again all speculation but I think that makes more sense.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Maybe the Rags just have better D depth than us. It kind of went the other way with Strahlman years ago.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I've only seen youtube clips and he seems to have a nice 2nd gear...In a lot of the clips I saw he seems to put on a short burst of speed to get around people.

It is so hard to tell anything from youtube clips but he looks like he plays more of a North American style. It is also interesting that there are a few fight clips of him and he looks pretty good doing that too.

Exactly. That's what has me intrigued. I'm still moderating my expectations, but I'm also hopeful we may have something more than just a 13th forward /injury call-up.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ

I thought the same thing. If he continues to use the boards in the NHL he'll be an effective player, no doubt. Working along the boards is nowhere near as effective on bigger ice as it is here.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
random thought this morning, and i'm sure other people have thought of it, but i hope he does fight, and well, because i wanna post pictures of shawn michaels so badly (sweet chin mozik) :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad