Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Tomas Nosek (1 year, $1 million)

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Better defensively than McLeod, gives you face offs if you have a fetish for that sort of thing - yeah I’ll take it.

Reactions: bossram

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Ran out of roster spots and Boqvist didn't really profile to be a 4th liner. Nosek at least has a history of being a penalty killer and his faceoff prowess is a nice bonus.

Boqvist: 21 points in 70 games, 11:36 TOI, 33.2% FO
Nosek: 18 points in 66 games, 12:33 TOI, 59.3% FO

Maybe if you were starting an expansion team you'd go with Boqvist, but I think they were looking for a 4th line role player and Nosek arguably fits the bill.
You’d also feel much more comfortable if Nosek, Lazar, or Tierney were in the press box for 50+ games compared to Holtz or Clarke. I think that’s the biggest reason these guys are being brought in.

And you can’t go wrong with more depth. If someone like Tyce Thompson takes a huge leap and surprises everyone in September, you can waive one of these guys and not really think twice about it. But now you don’t need to count on one of Thompson, Foote, etc. being NHL-ready.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Some will be AHL depth.

I think Nosek and Lazar are pretty close to the platonic ideal of a reserve forward, so I'm happy with this.
I just wonder if Nosek would sign up for a likely 13th fwd role. Thinking there may have been some acknowledgement of playing time in negotiations.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I just wonder if Nosek would sign up for a likely 13th fwd role. Thinking there may have been some acknowledgement of playing time in negotiations.
I mean, I would assume he's going to be the starting 4th line LW (or C, if McLeod is suspended). But he's going to have to compete with Foote for that job.

captainscott12

Jul 13, 2022
the whole "see ya mikey" thing is funny

yeah he might suck as a person (we'll see), but as a player? we all were drooling over him in playoffs. i'm definitely intrigued by these Center pickups
Couldn't agree more... the stat boys will look at a chart and tell you he wasn't a factor.. he is gonna be missed.. he is a damn good player for his role and salary..

He had a couple big goals, including obviously the game 7 goal, but overall he wasn't great in the playoffs by the numbers.
maybe not by #s but he sure as hell was visibly giving effort

I won't lose any sleep over it, but i don't think he was necessarily replacement level, so i'm really just wondering how we're handling so many Cs
he had some of the biggest heart on the team .. plays all out 100pct of the time every game every shift.. sign me up all day for guys like mcleod... off the ice if he is guilty of what he is being accused than he has to live with that and the consequences.. but he brought a bunch to the table when the playoffs started... and i bet if you asked his coaches and teammates they would say the same thing and tell everyone to take their stats and shove them..

captainscott12

Jul 13, 2022
You’d also feel much more comfortable if Nosek, Lazar, or Tierney were in the press box for 50+ games compared to Holtz or Clarke. I think that’s the biggest reason these guys are being brought in.

And you can’t go wrong with more depth. If someone like Tyce Thompson takes a huge leap and surprises everyone in September, you can waive one of these guys and not really think twice about it. But now you don’t need to count on one of Thompson, Foote, etc. being NHL-ready.
I like Thompson too but he can't seem to stay healthy... I can see Foote really establishing himself this season....

Do you think that really comes into the disucssion? i tend to think not... i can't see a GM saying youre gonna automatically get x amount of time etc etc.. I guess there is a general understanding of your role going into it, but i can't see a coach not putting out the guys he thinks are most deserving.. but who knows.

Reactions: My3Sons

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Good move, I didn't realize Nosek was available. Always good to have extra center depth, particularly with uncertainty around Lazar and McLeod.

Unless there is some other move in the works, there's going to be somewhat of a logjam in the bottom 6 in camp, but I'm sure we'll sort it out.

Reactions: My3Sons

BronzeAgeDevilsFan

Mar 19, 2023
the fans with a fetish for Foote are in a frenzy (i had to use a thesaurus for frenzy)

anyway, this is a smart move for a team that considers itself a cup contender. with hellebuck prob not being realistic this time around, its good to shore up the other parts of the team.

love his faceoff and pk ability

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Good move, I didn't realize Nosek was available. Always good to have extra center depth, particularly with uncertainty around Lazar and McLeod.

Unless there is some other move in the works, there's going to be somewhat of a logjam in the bottom 6 in camp, but I'm sure we'll sort it out.
I’m thinking the move is that at least one of these guys will be making a lot of money in Utica or picked up on waivers.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Couldn't agree more... the stat boys will look at a chart and tell you he wasn't a factor.. he is gonna be missed.. he is a damn good player for his role and salary..

No one said he wasnt a factor. That was you making up strawmans.

He is just a guy. If he didnt win faceoffs (which overall don't matter) at a very high clip, no one would care about him.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
15 fwds, counting Tierney not counting Foote and Clarke.

Interesting
It's a solid, no-nonsense signing by Fitz. Nosek is a solid 4th liner, effective on the PK, can win some faceoffs. That's all they need from their 4th line. This is also keeps Lazar as the 13th forward (a more suitable spot for him) and Tierney in Utica.

Nosek - Mcleod - Bastian

There's one roster spot open for Holtz, Clarke, or possibly Foote or Thompson to compete for.

Last edited:

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I mean, I would assume he's going to be the starting 4th line LW (or C, if McLeod is suspended). But he's going to have to compete with Foote for that job.
I think Nosek is in the starting lineup on the 4th line .He is a good PK’er , great at FO , great defensively , plays a heavy style game , has an insane amount of D zone starts for Boston last year .

Id guess , and hope , that Lazar and Tiirney are in the AHL / pressbox , and Holtz and Foote fight for the 3 line RW spot.

I really liked Noseks game (As a 4th liner).
Perfect 4th line type . Good a D , wins board battles , good on forecheck amd board battles ,good at PK , grat at FOs and can be relied on heavily for D zone starts . Bastin McLeod Nosek is a good 4th line IMO.

We needed to replace Sharas PK icetime and we did that by adding Nosek.

Last edited:
Reactions: bossram

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I'm definitely one of the bigger analytics/stats proponents, but I also was very much in favour of bringing Mikey back. It's not like his "analytics" are terrible. They're solid for the role he's given.

We don't need to make a false dichotomy here.

I also don't think the Nosek signing has any bearing on the Mcleod situation.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
the fans with a fetish for Foote are in a frenzy (i had to use a thesaurus for frenzy)

anyway, this is a smart move for a team that considers itself a cup contender. with hellebuck prob not being realistic this time around, its good to shore up the other parts of the team.

love his faceoff and pk ability
Ya if the Helle ship has sailed , I’d like to kick the tires on getting Backlund from the Flame at 50% retention.
Or maybe someone like ummm Toews at league minimum ?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Ya if the Helle ship has sailed , I’d like to kick the tires on getting Backlund from the Flame at 50% retention.
Or maybe someone like ummm Toews at league minimum ?
I think we’re now totally set at forward. I don’t see much room for anyone unless Holtz is getting traded. If we’re trading for anyone of note, it will probably happen at the deadline if we have a hole.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm definitely one of the bigger analytics/stats proponents, but I also was very much in favour of bringing Mikey back. It's not like his "analytics" are terrible. They're solid for the role he's given.

We don't need to make a false dichotomy here.

I also don't think the Nosek signing has any bearing on the Mcleod situation.
But you acknowledge that a guy playing a tough defensive role needs to have adjusted expectations in terms of possession numbers. Many stat boys do not.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
No one said he wasnt a factor. That was you making up strawmans.

He is just a guy. If he didnt win faceoffs (which overall don't matter) at a very high clip, no one would care about him.
lol, “strawman” coming from you is absolute gold, but you are right if it wasn’t for face offs there would be absolutely no reason to care about what he did in the playoffs…. Keep going

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad