Devils sign Reilly Walsh to three-year entry level contract

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Loved Walsh as a prospect heading into this season. Unfortunately, he didn't develop/grow as expected this year. Hopefully it was just a case of him plateauing at the collegiate level, but he should have been more productive with Fox gone and a higher scoring Harvard squad.

I'm still hopeful he can be a middle pair guy in 2-3 years. We'll see.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
4b0bvo.jpg

Meme/dad joke combo.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I'm sure it's an overreaction but I just saw the across the feed and said out loud "f***in right" because I like Walsh. This is good.

Reactions: glenwo2

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
You are forever a dark cloud on an otherwise sunny day.

Haha, if anything I find Jason too optimistic although the guys he doesn't like he really doesn't like.

This is the first real roster news about the Devils in 5 months, so it makes sense that everyone is super-excited for it.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
So... Umm... Can we add "confirmed with link" to thee title?

I missed out on the excitement of seeing it when I hopped on :(

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I'm not shocked that he signed, but surprised that he signed right now. Thought his agent/representative would have told him to wait until the Spring so he'd get a shorter ELC. At any rate, good to have him signed if only so we didn't have several more months of us being worried.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Glad we signed the kid. Who knows what he’ll turnout to be, however, at least if he turns out to be a decent player he’s with us. He’s an asset and that’s a good thing.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I'm not shocked that he signed, but surprised that he signed right now. Thought his agent/representative would have told him to wait until the Spring so he'd get a shorter ELC. At any rate, good to have him signed if only so we didn't have several more months of us being worried.

I imagine that part of the deal was Fitz promising some amount of NHL games this season so Walsh gets something out of committing to the extra year. If Carrick sits for ten games or so it's not the end of the world and I'd promise that to Walsh if it got him signed. Beyond that it may be that Walsh expected no hockey season at all this year for Harvard, no spring semester shortened season and was worried the long layoff would dampen any free agent offers. Fingers crossed he develops a bit more physically and ups his defensive zone play.

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
So, if there's no AHL season, he gets loaned out overseas, right?

EDIT - If he plays on the big club, he's going to look baaaaaaaaaaaad. He's not ready at all.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
His in zone coverage will make Severson look like a damn legend. He has an excellent first pass and an elite shot for a defender. Think Andy Delmore.

well even severson wasn't really that awful pre-hynes. If Walsh can get to that level while adding his already elite offense, we're solid. Good thing hynes isn't here anymore.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

And just because I'm an equipment junky, Walsh is a right shooting but left handed (like many right shot NHLers).

a little OT, but I wanna say i've read somewhere that doing that is a very canadian way of playing hockey (as in, right hand dominant players shoot left). is that true? and down here, RH people shoot right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad