Devils sign Reilly Walsh to three-year entry level contract

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
If you look at some of the hardest shooters, they tend to be rightys, if you look at more skilled guys, they tend to be leftys.

The thought behind this is, dominate hand on the bottom for harder shots, or dominate hand on the top for more control.

Same kinda goes for skateboarding in a weird way. "Regular" skaters with their right foot in the back (right handers in this analogy) typically jump higher and further, while "goofy" skaters with right foot in front, tend to be more technical. Because it is where your dominate foot is. Power vs control.

Obviously, people who are naturally left handed can skew it when you start finding outliers, or freaks like Chara. But it is generally the case.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
If you look at some of the hardest shooters, they tend to be rightys, if you look at more skilled guys, they tend to be leftys.

The thought behind this is, dominate hand on the bottom for harder shots, or dominate hand on the top for more control.

Same kinda goes for skateboarding in a weird way. "Regular" skaters with their right foot in the back (right handers in this analogy) typically jump higher and further, while "goofy" skaters with right foot in front, tend to be more technical. Because it is where your dominate foot is. Power vs control.

Obviously, people who are naturally left handed can skew it when you start finding outliers, or freaks like Chara. But it is generally the case.

Strange. The few times I've been on a skateboard, my natural tendency is to put my right foot in front and push with my left.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Strange. The few times I've been on a skateboard, my natural tendency is to put my right foot in front and push with my left.
Yea the whole “whatever foot you kick a soccer ball with goes in the back” is more for beginner snowboarders. Skateboarding uses both feet for so much, while at the same time super jarring if you’ve never stepped on one, it’s easier to just get on and learn how to ride with whatever feels more comfortable.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I imagine that part of the deal was Fitz promising some amount of NHL games this season so Walsh gets something out of committing to the extra year. If Carrick sits for ten games or so it's not the end of the world and I'd promise that to Walsh if it got him signed. Beyond that it may be that Walsh expected no hockey season at all this year for Harvard, no spring semester shortened season and was worried the long layoff would dampen any free agent offers. Fingers crossed he develops a bit more physically and ups his defensive zone play.
you never promise anything like this to a prospect. if he isn't ready and the team is in po contention, you either don't hold your promise or punt.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
For me, you want your dominant hand on the top of the stick because it’s the hand most likely to control the stick by itself. Shot power is coming from so much more than just the hand that I think the hand strength difference would be fairly negligible.

There are more hockey lefties(~62%) even though 90% of the world is right handed.

For most people they’ll naturally want to put their dominant hand on the top of the stick but some people will prefer the opposite.

In the US, it’s about a 50/50 split of right handed to left handed stick usage. My guess is this isn’t due to an inherent difference in the US preference but the higher likelihood that the initial parent or coach doesn’t know any better and when asked what handed stick the kid needs, he says “right handed” and then the kid gets used to it. If you switched the handed names of the sticks then I’m betting the US would line up with the rest of the world.

So I think US hockey initial ignorance actually benefits the US as the country gets the most even split of handedness in the world.
Lesson learned: Being ignorant is a good thing.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
you never promise anything like this to a prospect. if he isn't ready and the team is in po contention, you either don't hold your promise or punt.

Guys have been inserted into NHL games after signing out of NCAA before later going down to the AHL. I don't think it's true for all prospects but if it took an NHL opportunity to get Walsh to sign, that's not the end of the world. I'm not saying he's guaranteed an ongoing slot on the blue line.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Guys have been inserted into NHL games after signing out of NCAA before later going down to the AHL. I don't think it's true for all prospects but if it took an NHL opportunity to get Walsh to sign, that's not the end of the world. I'm not saying he's guaranteed an ongoing slot on the blue line.

Walsh won’t burn any additional years from his contract by playing in the NHL this season so I don’t think it would be a big selling point either way.

Obviously the extra money and reward of playing in the NHL are nice but Walsh’s reversal of returning to school reads to me like a decision made about his long term career and not this coming season.

My own assumption is Walsh will be in the same mix with the other prospects not named Smith. Unlikely to make the team but given a chance to blow the coaches away.

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Nice job by Mr. Fitzgerald, who in my opinion has been terrific in his limited time as Devils GM.

Though I expect Walsh to spend most of 2020-21 in the AHL, he gives the Devils nice depth behind their likely top 3 RD of Subban, Severson and Smith (who prefers the right side despite being a left shot). If Subban goes at the trade deadline -- which is certainly a possibility -- Walsh could see some time at the NHL level. He has some very good offensive talent, though I'd like to see him hone his defensive game a bit more at the AHL level.

Reactions: nugg

Ol Dirty Bstrd

Nov 25, 2007
You want your dominant hand to be lower on the stick, it is your power in a shot. I've never heard the opposite. Maybe thats why I don't play hockey for a living.

You’re actually ‘supposed to’ do the opposite. Dominant hand on top will make you a better stickhandler. Most Canadians do it that way but most Americans use the dominant hand on the bottom. When you’re a goalie you don’t have a choice - your dominant hand is on top when you play the puck (because it’s your blocker hand)

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
You’re actually ‘supposed to’ do the opposite. Dominant hand on top will make you a better stickhandler. Most Canadians do it that way but most Americans use the dominant hand on the bottom. When you’re a goalie you don’t have a choice - your dominant hand is on top when you play the puck (because it’s your blocker hand)

I don't think it's just Canadian. Pretty much the rest of the world is taught to have the dominant hand on top.

Reactions: Darkauron

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Good thing you are here to teach me what I'm supposed to do while ignoring everything I said

Reactions: glenwo2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad