Confirmed with Link: Devils sign PL3

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
PL3 has played FOUR games in the NHL since he was banished by us. I'm not sure why some people really think he'll be called up.

If he is called up though, I really think it is ass backwards myself.

This is a 30 year old that's played a half dozen NHL games in the last half a decade.

And I'm one of the oldest guys on here I would bet, and I'm still tired of this old fashioned ''Every team needs a goon to protect their starts from other team's goons, especially in this tough division where the Rangers and Flyers players are running amok on everyone else''.

I think this theory is very old fashioned and outdated. One dimensional goons have no place in this league anymore, they're all being phased out like I explained the other night. It's why so few of them have full time NHL gigs anymore, a lot of them aren't even in North America anymore or even in the game at all.

And while I would agree that we've seen some dirty **** from the Flyers, let's be serious here. When was the last time we needed one of our goons to protect us from something the Rangers or any other team did to one of our starts fairly recently? The only example I can think of is Bortuzzo's hit on Jagr last year, which Tootoo (despite being much smaller in size) had no problem taking care of.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Ya I don't think we really need to call up PL3 to enforce but having up enforce in Albany with the influx of young kids we might want to protect (and our resident tough guy Cam gone) I can see that part making sense.

I guess if Hynes really wants to just goon it up for a night we could see PL3 but I doubt it unless something really nasty happens (and most likely would involve the Flyers).

Tootoo despite his size is more then willing to scrap of needed.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
One thing I've read quite a few times is ''We might bring him up for needed toughness against the Rangers or Flyers''. And it's not just him, I remember people saying this about a couple other goons we've had over the years, like Cam Janssen particularly.

But let's be serious and think about it for a minute, when was the last time we called up a goon just to play him against a division rival? I can't even remember.

The closest thing to that was calling up Cam in the lockout season to play against the Tampa Bay Lightning of all teams. And I think Barch played in that game as well. Cam laid a hit on someone and was ejected from the game, then he was sent right back down and not brought back until the next season. This was more Pete or Lou (I think more Pete judging by his comments he's made about playing a tough guy on your 4th line in order to spark the team) desperate to spark the team. It was when Moose was playing every game and we were losing almost every night.

Or playing Boulton and Janssen both in the same game against the Rangers a few times in 11-12. Both were already up on the NHL roster though.

Cam was also called up for some kind of BS spark in the 13-14 season as well, then he scored a few goals and seemed to stay in for a month and a half or more. Then you had that bozo Pete going on about how ''Our record with Cam in the lineup is very good compared to before we brought him up'' that season.

I never remember one of these types being called up just to play the Rangers or Flyers though. Just Cam with the Lightning of all teams, just one game against TBL then he was sent right back down. Shero liked PL3 playing in the NHL so much, he only was called up and played in ONE game in the NHL in the 2 years he was with their organization. Though some feel it's Hynes that likes him, so I guess I could see your point if you think that.

I'm pretty optimistic that we won't see much PL3 on the NHL roster this regular season, if even at all. Though I'll be pretty irate if we do.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
One thing I've read quite a few times is ''We might bring him up for needed toughness against the Rangers or Flyers''. And it's not just him, I remember people saying this about a couple other goons we've had over the years, like Cam Janssen particularly.

But let's be serious and think about it for a minute, when was the last time we called up a goon just to play him against a division rival? I can't even remember.

The closest thing to that was calling up Cam in the lockout season to play against the Tampa Bay Lightning of all teams. And I think Barch played in that game as well. Cam laid a hit on someone and was ejected from the game, then he was sent right back down and not brought back until the next season. This was more Pete or Lou (I think more Pete judging by his comments he's made about playing a tough guy on your 4th line in order to spark the team) desperate to spark the team. It was when Moose was playing every game and we were losing almost every night.

Or playing Boulton and Janssen both in the same game against the Rangers a few times in 11-12. Both were already up on the NHL roster though.

Cam was also called up for some kind of BS spark in the 13-14 season as well, then he scored a few goals and seemed to stay in for a month and a half or more. Then you had that bozo Pete going on about how ''Our record with Cam in the lineup is very good compared to before we brought him up'' that season.

I never remember one of these types being called up just to play the Rangers or Flyers though. Just Cam with the Lightning of all teams, just one game against TBL then he was sent right back down. Shero liked PL3 playing in the NHL so much, he only was called up and played in ONE game in the NHL in the 2 years he was with their organization. Though some feel it's Hynes that likes him, so I guess I could see your point if you think that.

I'm pretty optimistic that we won't see much PL3 on the NHL roster this regular season, if even at all. Though I'll be pretty irate if we do.

Well we made sure to have an enforcer when Torts was coaching the Rags. He seemed to like to goon it up against us.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Remember that goon game the Devils/Rangers had? It was said to be the game that fighting and goons "jumped the shark".

http://ndgoon.blogspot.com/2012/03/rangers-and-devils-spill-over.html

There was about 3 of them that year in the regular season. They all began at the opening puck drop too. And there was even someone on here who actually believed that the Rangers went out and got John Scott in the middle of the season because we (Cam and Boulton) were beating the hell out of them every game before that. I seriously remember someone making a post like that on here a couple years ago when justifying why they believed we needed goons on the roster.

It was kind of dumb to me, it might have even been the beginning of the end of the one dimensional enforcer's days in the NHL. That fight also seemed to spark the Rangers that game. That beat up on us for most of it from what I remember.

We had both Boulton and Janssen on the roster all year that season, but they rarely seemed to both play in the same game. They were both always dressed for Rangers games in the regular season that year, probably even the Flyers too.

Just look at all the goons that have dropped out of the league in that time. Somehow Eric Boulton might still be standing strong, though he was a decent player that could actually chip in a few points back in his Buffalo and Atlanta days. He was the only player that played more than a handful of games that season that was not even on the ice for a single goal for, that year he played with us. I think he did have a few points with the Isles over these last few years that he's been there though. They seem to really like him there, continuously bringing him back. Though at this point he seems to not be too much better than Janssen at actually playing.

Barch is done, George Parros and his crazy beard are done, Cam is in England, Biz Nasty is out of the league, Arron Asham is done (though he was once fairly skilled and he's getting up there in age now), Mike Rupp is done. Even some of your younger goons are done because there just isn't any demand for them.

Rupp and Asham were fairly skilled players at one time, though they become pretty unproductive goons at the end, or at least Rupp did. Asham might have been a step above that at the end.

I don't even think Sather (who loved his goons as much as Lou did a few years ago) had a goon up on the Rangers main roster last year, did he?

John Scott is finished too, Doug Wilson probably even prolonged his career by a year. Nobody else probably was signing him last offseason.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm upset that he might see time with Albany.

I will accept it as long as he isn't near the NHL team. He's a waste of a roster spot.

I do understand the paranoia about him potentially being called up, I'll be more mad than anyone if he is.

What I don't understand is the ''He'll most likely see NHL action and be called up for Rangers and Flyers games for needed toughness'' stuff I've read a couple times.

When was the last time we called up one of the goons just to play a rival? Yeah new regime and all. But I don't think there's many teams that call up a goon just to play these tough division games.

If PL3 gets called up, it's probably not gonna be just to play a tough division game. It will probably be because Tootoo is either injured, or unfortunately Hynes and Shero also have this ''You play a tough guy on the 4th line to spark the team'' belief that Pete seemed to have.

Shero didn't seem to particularly show that with Pittsburgh, at least not his last few years once the goons started becoming obsolete in this league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad