Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Nathan Bastian to three-year Entry Level Contract

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
It'd be sweet if they actually came up at the same time, same line, etc. Kind of fun to follow. On a related note, it is so refreshing to actually see players, prospects, etc active on social media and stuff. Lou would've punched Henrique in the d$&/ if he posted the Gio pads for Kinkaid when Lou was at the helm.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
It'd be sweet if they actually came up at the same time, same line, etc. Kind of fun to follow. On a related note, it is so refreshing to actually see players, prospects, etc active on social media and stuff. Lou would've punched Henrique in the d$&/ if he posted the Gio pads for Kinkaid when Lou was at the helm.

If they were to come up at the end of the year like Zacha did, would that burn a year of the ELC? I can never figure that stuff out.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
If they were to come up at the end of the year like Zacha did, would that burn a year of the ELC? I can never figure that stuff out.

No since they are still 18/19.

If a player is 18/19, they can play up to nine games in the NHL before it burns off a year of their deal. Only reason Santini/Wood burned a year off for playing was because they were over 19 when they played. Interesting caveat of this rule is that a player on an ELC that spends his 18 and 19 year old seasons in the AHL would end up playing 5 years on the same ELC, as the contract "slides" each year they don't play in more than 9 NHL games. For example, Rantanen played last year as an 18 year old in the AHL, but still has three years left on his ELC since he only played in 9 games with the Avalanche.

To put it into a relatable perspective, Zacha still has three years left on his deal after playing the final game last year whereas Wood and Santini only have two years.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

Yeah I never understood that move.
I think it was ownership's way of saying they are with the players not just their wallets. Ballsy move. Cap guys internally must have lost their s#!%

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Yeah I never understood that move.
I think it was ownership's way of saying they are with the players not just their wallets. Ballsy move. Cap guys internally must have lost their s#!%

Well I think the Devils may have been partially concerned with them going the UFA route eventually.

Telling a kid that he can earn a bigger paycheck in two years rather than three, on top of getting the NHL salary bonus that day, and getting paid an NHL salary for one/two days is a pretty convincing argument.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Well I think the Devils may have been partially concerned with them going the UFA route eventually.

Telling a kid that he can earn a bigger paycheck in two years rather than three, on top of getting the NHL salary bonus that day, and getting paid an NHL salary for one/two days is a pretty convincing argument.

great point
I think we will be happy regardless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad