Devils sign Michael Ryder (2 years, $3.5M AAV)

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
1 goal in 27 games

Janssen has more in less games and hasn't played in the NHL in 3 months

How does that even happen

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
1 goal in 27 games

Janssen has more in less games and hasn't played in the NHL in 3 months

How does that even happen

Zubrus is on a similar streak.

Bernier hasn't scored since DECEMBER 2nd!!!!!

Carter has 1 in his last 20ish, and 2 since mid november.

Of coarse my boy JJ.

Goal scoring droughts are so en vogue with this squad.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
I'm really disappointed on how this has worked out so far. The Ryder signing was my favorite move this summer. With his snipe, I thought we could just throw him on Elias wing and it was a sure 30 goals.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Zubrus is on a similar streak.

Bernier hasn't scored since DECEMBER 2nd!!!!!

Carter has 1 in his last 20ish, and 2 since mid november.

Of coarse my boy JJ.

Goal scoring droughts are so en vogue with this squad.

Here's a very depressing list of all the forwards in the NHL who've played at least half the season so far, sorted in reverse by how many points they score in relation to how much ice time they get. Two thirds of CBGB are scoring less often than Clarkson this season, and Bernier's ahead of him by one. What's worse is this is all situations, and Bernier might be the only guy on this list that's actually seen power play time for extended amounts this season.

Ryder's not THAT bad but he's still been pretty disappointing. 30 points is probably an acceptable amount for a 3rd liner, but I don't think anyone expected him to be this bad, especially considering all the powerplay time he's gotten (and still continues to get for some reason).

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
how would you guys view his value?

Probably low. But if I'm a team that plays more of an open system and is in need of a goal scorer, I think Ryder would be a good choice.

Guy can still score, this system has just sucked the life out of him.

NC107*

Probably low. But if I'm a team that plays more of an open system and is in need of a goal scorer, I think Ryder would be a good choice.

This DeBoer system has sucked the life out of many Devils players and fans. There isn't any way to make adjustments within this system.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

yeah, that's what i was thinking. he was never and never will be a guy who is complete player or can create a lot of offense out of nowhere but that shot still seems to be pretty awesome. RH, too. contract isn't bad.

UFA pool could be pretty meh. i wouldn't mind brunner back to the DRW, or ryder if they can be had for fairly cheap. not my first options though but seems like they could be had, no?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
yeah, that's what i was thinking. he was never and never will be a guy who is complete player or can create a lot of offense out of nowhere but that shot still seems to be pretty awesome. RH, too. contract isn't bad.

UFA pool could be pretty meh. i wouldn't mind brunner back to the DRW, or ryder if they can be had for fairly cheap. not my first options though but seems like they could be had, no?

I thought the contract was a steal at the time of signing. A 30 goal scorer for 3.5 per? And it's a short contract. Not some contract that would linger for years. Heck I wanted it to be 3 or 4 years at that price.

And even with the Dev's a team that doesn't score and even with a 25 game goal less streak he is still at 17. I think you would love him in Detroit.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
The guy sucks. Only player on the team to contribute nothing when he is not scoring.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Nice seeing Michael Ryder on the first page of NHL.com for points. Also could someone edit out the title of his contract.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Ryder looks quicker and looks like he is battling more for the puck. If his back being better and his new skates really do help him, it will be a good thing. But I will reserve getting too excited, need to see long-term consistency. He is a streaky scorer after all.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I think if Henrique stays as Ryder's center, both players will have a good season.

A lot of people couldn't understand why Pete choose to reunite Clowe-Henrique-Ryder again, given Ryder's second half season struggles. I actually put a lot of that due to Henrique being moved off the line to play with Elias.

The 'newfie' & Rico line should stay together imo.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
He apparently when through a bunch of skates last year and never felt comfortable. He says it affected his speed and movement.

He went home and got his old skates and had his current skates modeled around the fit of those.

Yep. Said he went through 4 different types of skates last season after the company quit making his preferred skate. Finally took a couple pairs from home to company to see if they could replicate the old style with a custom skate. Helps his turning a lot he said.

Whatever keeps him scoring - hand crafted by a team of German engineers if needed!

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Yep. Said he went through 4 different types of skates last season after the company quit making his preferred skate. Finally took a couple pairs from home to company to see if they could replicate the old style with a custom skate. Helps his turning a lot he said.

Whatever keeps him scoring - hand crafted by a team of German engineers if needed!

:laugh: I find that so fascinating. I mean, it fully makes sense that players are as obsessed with their equipment as any of the rest of us would be, but such a simple thing seems to have given Ryder a kick in the ass that he needed.

Whatever keeps him going works for me! He looks better at this stage than he did at nearly any point last year, save for that stretch where he was constantly scoring for a good month.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad