Confirmed with Link: Devil's sign Jim O'Brien 1 year, $575,000

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
More competition, put up some good numbers down the stretch in Hershey that our new coach saw first hand. Most people complained about the lack of offense on our 4th line & this is a potential upgrade. At worse, he plays in Albany for the year. Nothing not to like about this signing.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Is this the same O'Brien who played a bunch of games for Ottawa a few seasons ago?

If it is that's not a bad signing, i remember Ottawa fans being quite complimentary of his play, he did a very solid job as a fourth liner for them, i think he actually scored quite a few goals (for a fourth liner) in his short stints with the Senators.

It's a one year cheap two-way deal for a player who isn't ancient, not much to dislike here. Not sure how he is on face-offs, but i could definitely see him being this seasons Ryan Carter type, good 4th liner.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Is this the same O'Brien who played a bunch of games for Ottawa a few seasons ago?

If it is that's not a bad signing, i remember Ottawa fans being quite complimentary of his play, he did a very solid job as a fourth liner for them, i think he actually scored quite a few goals (for a fourth liner) in his short stints with the Senators.

It's a one year cheap two-way deal for a player who isn't ancient, not much to dislike here. Not sure how he is on face-offs, but i could definitely see him being this seasons Ryan Carter type, good 4th liner.

Unless they had more then one then it is. Their former 1st rounder from 2007

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Unless they had more then one then it is. Their former 1st rounder from 2007

Yeah it is, i just checked. I was supremely confused because it was a few seasons ago and then he seemingly dropped off the face of the planet so i was curious as to what happened to him. It appears he went to the KHL briefly and then came back and spent a year in the NHL.

I like this deal for us, he has some talent, at best we get a 4th line center with size who can chip in some offense and apparently is reasonably good at face-offs, at worst he can be a leader down in Albany to shield the influx of youngsters entering the system down there.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I'm far more excited about our bottom 6 as opposed to our top 6. We have guys like this to go along with Coleman, Tootoo and Matteau.

schoenfeld

2 Way Contract
Dec 10, 2006
honestly all of the moves made this offseason have been of the "**** it, can't hurt" variety, can't really complain.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
He scored on us once:

2nd Senators goal, was the final game of the 2012 regular season.

Brodeur :(
Kovy :(
Chico :(

Also, that was the infamous 5-on-1 game! And I was 100% certain after that Zubrus pass to Henrique that they weren't going to score.

EDIT: Awww, Gio's first NHL goal game, too. If we only knew...

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
The toughest JOB in the NHL.

You down with JOB? Yeah, you know me.

You down with JOB, yeah, who is he?

The marketing opportunities are endless!

In all seriousness, maybe a fresh start and a clear cut 4th line center role will do him well. He'd definitely be an upgrade over Little Gio.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

He put up 5 goals in 29 games (14 goal pace over full season) during his last stint in the NHL with Ottawa, scored at nearly a PPG pace (29 points in 32 games) last season in Hershey & is a former 1st round pick so there's some potential for him to crack the lineup.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
I have no expectations of him based on his time in Ottawa. Not a fan of his game but it's a no-risk move. If he wins a job, great. If he doesn't, I won't be surprised and no harm done. He'll easily clear and be very good for Albany.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Waiting for someone to say Kelly or Darcy Zajac deserve the spot over him if we are just putting a guy out there for 4th line minutes...

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So this means someone will be traded.

On the other hand we can always cut this guy if needed.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
O'Brien-6'2" 200lbs

Gionta-5'7" 185lbs (probably generous)

I bet O'Brien will have the inside track on the 4th line center job.

Looking at that way makes sense.. but I don't know Gionta was going to be a center? Look at center ice without Gionta and before O'Brian...

Zajac, Josefson for sure...

then possibly the guys who could play center but maybe wing...Henrique or Elias, Kalinin, Zubrus or maybe Zacha. Maybe Coleman

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So JOB is a center? can he skate? That's shero's thing right? With that size if JOB is a decent skater, can play responsible in his own end, then this sounds kewl to me.

I'm also cool with Gio on 4th line RW, or as noted 13th fwd.

Drewr15

Jun 30, 2005
New Milford, CT
Hynes had a first hand look at him last season so you have to think he feels he can fit into the style they want to play. Worth a shot. I'd rather fail with young guys who have a chance to improve than old vets on their way out.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Looking at that way makes sense.. but I don't know Gionta was going to be a center? Look at center ice without Gionta and before O'Brian...

Zajac, Josefson for sure...

then possibly the guys who could play center but maybe wing...Henrique or Elias, Kalinin, Zubrus or maybe Zacha. Maybe Coleman

Maybe, but if Gionta doesn't make the team as a center, I don't know where there's a spot for him. I doubt Zubrus plays center, he's best on RW. So as far as RW depth goes:

Palmieri
Tootoo
Zubrus
Kalinin

So he has a shot to beat out Kalinin but I have a feeling that Shero expects Kalinin to be on the team otherwise, why would he only give him a 1 year contract? It seems like, if Kalinin doesn't make the Devils he's going back to Russia. Left wingers:

Cammalleri
Elias/Henrique
Ruutuu
Matteau
Boucher

Definitely no spot there. I imagine that Matteau and Boucher are going to get significant amount of playing time considering Shero's youth movement and there's nothing that Gionta provides in a bottom six left wing role that Ruutuu doesn't do better except for skating.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad