Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Brandon Gormley 1yr 650k

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Just based on his numbers, it's a solid depth signing. The guy just can't seem to perform at his best in the NHL. But a former #13 pick means there's always a chance he figures it out.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
He was once a really highly touted prospect, don't know what happened to him but I don't mind taking a flyer on a zero-risk reclamation project.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Just based on his numbers, it's a solid depth signing. The guy just can't seem to perform at his best in the NHL. But a former #13 pick means there's always a chance he figures it out.

Former #13 pick overall, 24 years old, brought on for Albany depth...sure, why not.

Has 58 games of NHL experience over the past 2 seasons, which can't hurt either.

Looking at where he was picked by Arizona...ooofff, that pick hurt. Almost had Fowler fall to them, but Anaheim selected him with the prior pick. Then Jaden Schwartz & Tarasenko go with 2 of the next 3 picks.

DanteDevilsHockey

Jun 21, 2016
North Jersey
Interesting move on Shero's birthday. Don't know too much about him, I do remember watching him play for the Coyotes as a bottom pairing guy a few seasons ago. He provides some more depth on the backend. So we'll see how he does in Albany, because that's his most likely landing spot.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Looked up his scouting report for *****, and someone said a comparable would be Shea Weber. Where's my cup.jpg when I need it? :sarcasm:

I think he'll see more time with Albany than New Jersey but maybe he'll start the year here if Merrill doesn't recover in time.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
He was once a really highly touted prospect, don't know what happened to him but I don't mind taking a flyer on a zero-risk reclamation project.

He kept getting injured when he seemed to be figuring it out at the nhl level. i remember once instance where he was getting more ice time then broke his foot blocking a shot. Then he got passed on the depth chart by Connor Murphy.

A couple of years ago he was one of the top AHL defenseman playing something like 25 minutes a game.

His major weakness is his foot speed. He's on the slow side of things and if he's going to stick in the NHL it will be with smart positioning and good hockey IQ.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
LHD depth is brutal. Hopefully White is the real deal down the line.

Greene
Moore
Merril
Auvitu
Helgeson
Gormley
White

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Greene
Moore
Merril
Auvitu
Helgeson
Gormley
White

I'd automatically place him higher than Helgeson as of right now.

I really think Helgeson is every bit as bad as I've touted on here, my friend actually believes he's even worse.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
He was such a highly touted prospect during his draft year. Everyone was shocked when he kept falling during the draft since he was supposed to be a top 7 pick from what I remember. No one could believe the Rangers took McIlrath over Fowler and Gormley. Although that pick doesn't look nearly as bad for the Rangers as it once did. I think this is a very smart signing if he ever figures it out it could be a huge steal and if he doesn't who cares. It's one year for 600 thousand bucks so who cares it doesn't work out. He'll either by waived and picked up by another team or he's a depth signing for the AHL team. I can't anything wrong with this signing.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
He kept getting injured when he seemed to be figuring it out at the nhl level. i remember once instance where he was getting more ice time then broke his foot blocking a shot. Then he got passed on the depth chart by Connor Murphy.

A couple of years ago he was one of the top AHL defenseman playing something like 25 minutes a game.

His major weakness is his foot speed. He's on the slow side of things and if he's going to stick in the NHL it will be with smart positioning and good hockey IQ.

He'll fit right in!

Actually, if his career got a bit off track due to injuries, that's probably not a bad thing. Better than just suckage.

Greene
Moore
Merril
Auvitu
Helgeson
Gormley
White

Yeah, not looking great right now...though at least LHD is easier to find than RHD depth.

Auvitu could really surprise - been a while since we've had a free agent signing like Rafalski, Madden, etc. that made a significant contribution. That would make a huge difference in how our LHD looks.

White's tracking just fine, but is still a few years away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad