GDT: Devils @ Sharks, 10:30 PM, MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Not a good rebound on that one.

That rebound doesn't happen frequently with Blackwood, at least not lately.

And that first goal on the ''Screen'' hardly EVER happens on Blackwood, AT ALL.

Not the best, but Burns beasted that shift, and Severson pulled himself off his man.

I don’t think you can kill Cory on this game Even if his goose is cooked

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
At least there'll be no excuse to give Cory a third straight start the way I thought we might be forced to after the first period.

Reactions: Devilsfan992

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Also Nas matched up poorly with Burns and Couture physically in the OT lineup choice. We were out weighed and out reached quite badly as the 3 on 3 began. We needed more height and weight - Should maybe have started Zacha and Subban and then counted on changing out promptly once the play settled down.

Hard to play hang-on one more shift in OT when you've already been hanging on 2 periods and lucky to even make OT though... it's valid strategy but as soon as it doesn't pan out it's why didn't you start the other guys game.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Not the best, but Burns beasted that shift, and Severson pulled himself off his man.

I don’t think you can kill Cory on this game Even if his goose is cooked
The rebound on the game winner was very nitpicky on my part, but I still don’t like goal one. He’s content to get beaten by screens too much over the last two years particularly. Ever since his collapse late in the 17-18 season.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
At least there'll be no excuse to give Cory a third straight start the way I thought we might be forced to after the first period.
They'll probably play him against the Ducks. All 3 of these California teams are pretty weak, at least offensively. ESPECIALLY post-deadline and with guys like Erik Karlsson being on the shelf for the Sharks.

He played well enough tonight to not get shelled, but only well enough to raise his season save percentage up from .864% to .868%, so there's not as much threat of him pulling another .920% end to the season to fool management again.

I still wouldn't be surprised if he had a .920% from the Detroit game through the end of the season, but that doesn't mean he's a .920% goalie again, like too many people here (including Ray Shero) seemed to believe after last year. It just means that he isn't an .852% goalie, like he's been through his first 9 appearances for each of the last two seasons. which is probably even almost unsustainable for a zamboni driver. I don't think he's an .852% goalie, but he's almost assuredly not better than a .900% goalie. Especially not when the league average is down to around .909% and not the .914% that it was when he first started having poor seasons and started declining.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And that Ferraro goal just makes me think of what it takes to beat Blackwood through a screen and you usually have to have at least one guy pretty much with his ass parked right up against his face to beat Big Mac through a screen on a shot from the point.

And a lot of times pucks just hit him in those situations anyway, because his positioning is VERY good. You have to be able to move the puck pretty quickly to be able to beat him from the point like that even when there is a complete and distinct screen, because he's gonna be in position usually, even if he isn't able to track it. His angles are one of his assets. It used to be that way for Cory, but not anymore. That puck probably hits him 80%-90% of the time 4 years ago and even still more often than not until 2 years ago.

It's amazing how much different those situations are for Big Mac as opposed to the GARBAGE goalies like Kinkaid, Domingue and neo-Cory, who always get beaten on questionable screens or screens where they shouldn't have been screened and even could have still stopped it with a screen, due to better guarding the short side and having a better angle.

That wasn't even a one timer and it was just a simple wrist shot. I wonder just how many times in his career Blackwood has been beaten on a wrister from the point that wasn't even one timed and didn't change directions significantly, screen or not. I bet it hasn't been much.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Having not watched the game, did we play well for a period then fall apart, or was it really that the Sharks played like garbage for a period then woke up?

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I don't regret missing this one at all from the sounds of it.

Happy to hear Cory did well enough and that Goose picked up another goal for his 40th point.

Sounds like Jack had a night to forget?

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
just woke up, but this being posted more and more by you. What an embarrassment/embarrassing take.

be disappointed with the kid or say he’s having a rough season, but to say this garbage every game just goes way too far

I am not gonna judge hughes too harshly this season as he shouldn't be playing in the NHL yet. I have said this for awhile however, he has some bad habits in his game, that will not translate into a successful NHL career if they are not broken. . His speed and talent is not questioned. I think he will get is all figured out and be a great player, but they need to coach this kid up.

Reactions: Ol Dirty Bstrd

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I will say this about Hughes. While I feel like he has shown glimpses of the future and is only scratching the surface, he would've been better served going to college and tearing it up for a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad