GDT: Devils @ Red Wings Happy Thanksgiving 7:00 MSG2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I wish someone had memed that with Hynes with his...fitting picture of making adjustments
IMG_1782.png

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I do wonder when this 11-7 shit will end...I thought for sure we'd get back to a normal lineup after crapping the bed Saturday.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What did I say about the team that was troll? If you don’t like what I say about the play of the team argue it. Who cares about names?
tbh I don’t even look at names of posters,
He was talking about another poster entirely

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Vitek was rattled and bothered enough from his rough playoffs that he saw a sports psychologist over the summer.
And it’s not helped his game.

I bet the sports psychologist is now saying “ask for a trade. That’s all I can give him from here on out. Would you like me to prescribe you an anti depressant until then?”.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
And it’s not helped his game.

I bet the sports psychologist is now saying “ask for a trade. That’s all I can give him from here on out. Would you like me to prescribe you an anti depressant until then?”.

I kept wanting to post that the back breaking softy was coming because he looked so shake and floppy to start this game.

Reactions: Bleedred

Camille the Eel

The speed thing is the one area maybe I would give them a little bit of the benefit of the doubt on. Because that could be due to the injuries forcing guys who are more grinder fourth line types (bastian, Lazar, etc) to play way too much and in roles with more offensive guys. Even Mercer as a center I don’t think is a fit in terms of having either speed or size/strength to thrive there at the nhl level. But again, that is not justification for the rest of the trainwreck we have been seeing in terms of breakdowns.
The big difference I see without Sevs and Graves is that both were very good at jumping into the rush so that our counter attacks were 4 man rushes and with open trailers should the forwards push the D back. We got a lot of mileage out of those counter attacks last year and we are getting next to nothing that way now.

Similarly and related, Graves and Sevs positioning in the neutral zone was better than what we’ve been seeing. Our D as a whole in fact was deployed between the blue lines more aggressively last season and we were stepping up and blocking plays in center ice, creating turnovers and counter attacks, much more effectively than so far this season.

Nemec probably needs this season to mature in Utica. And maybe you wouldn’t want him involved in the current train wreck anyway. But the defaults above would argue strongly for his talents, because he’s gifted by instinct for jumping into the rush.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Luke is playing a little bit too cocky, the rest of the defense thinks that since the Hughes brothers can do nifty plays that they want to do something similar and fail tremendously at it.

The non-Hughes/Bratts shouldn't adapt their game speed to the start players, If anything Hugheses and Bratt should slow down their game to a more manageable pace for the rest of the team.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I kept wanting to post that the back breaking softy was coming because he looked so shake and floppy to start this game.
Again, I know this will piss people off taking away from what was a terrible game by everyone on the team, but I don’t know how you can start him this game, after a horrible, back breaking, late regulation loss in the last game where we got zero points.

That was really much more inspiring than Akira getting blasted in Winnipeg, like everybody does in goal when we play there? Really?

“but Vitek was so good against Pittsburgh!” You know, a goalie on our team being so good against Pittsburgh is almost as meaningless and as much of a given as a goalie on our team being bad in Winnipeg.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Luke is playing a little bit too cocky, the rest of the defense thinks that since the Hughes brothers can do nifty plays that they want to do something similar and fail tremendously at it.

The non-Hughes/Bratts shouldn't adapt their game speed to the start players, If anything Hugheses and Bratt should slow down their game to a more manageable pace for the rest of the team.
Disagree, imo he’s playing his game and I’m not noticing too many mistakes out there.

Reactions: glenwo2

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
So typical to see people bitching about goaltending when we played our worst game in two years 🤦‍♂️
I missed the 1st period but watched the 2nd and the 3rd. It was pretty bad but after seeing the highlights , goaltending was certainly not the issue. Devils defended bad on the rush but the Wings also got 2 really good bounces to set their goals up.

This season has been super disappointing but some of you guys are acting like we have no shot at making the playoffs. Realistically we aren't finishing in the top 3 in the Eastern Conference but if the team gets their shit together we can make up some ground in the standings. A 3 game win streak or so would put us back in a playoff spot.

I bet the Devils post some corny Thanksgiving Day shit on their social media to thank our weak ass fanbase and come Friday the Devils will be down a goal or two heading into the 1st intermission to a cascade of boos.

Last edited:
Reactions: billingtons ghost

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Is this just being tight though? Tonight seems like they just don’t care. We’ve seen some bad efforts this season but at least they found spurts of energy and cohesion. Tonight was a straight up fold before the flop.
Idk. They certainly aren't playing with confidence and seem pretty frustrated. I think the kids are tight and the vets are just bad. Hamilton, Toffoli, Palat, Haula all had about their worst games.

Reactions: devilsblood

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Again, Vitek is showing to not be redeemable here.

If he’s here next year it almost definitely means he finished with similar numbers to last year.

And for him to finish with similar numbers to last year it probably means that he will have to play some of the best goalie he’s ever played here for the remainder of the year. Maybe better than any of his hot streaks last year. Color me skeptical he’ll do that and that he hasn’t peaked here. Last January seems to be the top of the mountain for him as a Devils goalie.

Again, I think he can be a decent goalie again somewhere else, but he’s already a lost cause here.

And I don’t think there’s too many guys that have confidence in him, between what he did in the playoffs last year (and what happened when he wasn’t in during the playoffs) and the start to this season.

I don’t think anybody trusts him other than obviously Ruff or whoever actually makes the goalie decisions who have deemed him worthy of starting 70% of the games so far.

What didn't you like about the goals? They seemed pretty cut and dry cross ice wide open post to post chances to me.

He made some terrific saves.

I don't know what goalie in history earns the 0-0 shootout win tonight.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
we would have lost to an emergency back up goalie last night.

the wings got some bounces, sure, but they earned them by pressuring and working hard. we gave them those chances by not doing those things.

it really feels like the book is out on this team. coaches know how to prepare against us and it shows in how we are completely outclassed at even strength. we haven’t or can’t adjust.

i had serious hope that with jack and nico out, they would focus on tightening up defensively and limiting chances against. i have no idea why they didn’t adjust. for me that’s a big red flag that gives me concern for the season.

i wasn’t reactionary after the rangers game because i do think they played well for 55 minutes and they’re very much in the playoff hunt, but last night did not feel like watching the same team that we’ve watched the past year. it was the same lifeless, unconfident soft team that we watched for the last decade. utterly dominated by a mediocre team. my confidence in them is completely shaken

Last edited:

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I haven’t lost confidence in the group, there’s too much talent, and we’ve seen what they’re capable of. But something has to give. As I said, it this is needed in the grand scheme of things, then so be it. But I’d like them to get on a bit of a streak here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad