GDT: Devils @ Red Wings Happy Thanksgiving 7:00 MSG2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Can I just say this?

Our goaltenders have been putrid since losing Roland Melanson as a goalie coach w/ the exception of last year.

Rogalski just isn't cutting it.
He may be this off-seasons version of Recchi and Nas, which is all good and fine with me, but f*** that if he’s the only one to take a hike. Last year should have bought Ruff nothing but the start of this year.

• Love
Reactions: glenwo2

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I don’t disagree with you on xG, I think it can be misleading. But when I watch the games I see other goalies make difficult saves and I just don’t see vitek make them.
He was making them to tonight early on. He was arguably the only one playing well the first 10 minutes.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Which the stats back up. His high danger save percentage is among the worst in the league.
I've responded to you multiple times tonight, show me one example of the Detroit's goalie having to do anything besides exist to stop what we threw at him.

If you want to talk about the entire season, so be it, but tonight, our goalie made no difference. They didn't give up, they were never there to begin with.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I've responded to you multiple times tonight, show me one example of the Detroit's goalie having to do anything besides exist to stop what we threw at him.

If you want to talk about the entire season, so be it, but tonight, our goalie made no difference. They didn't give up, they were never there to begin with.
Lyon made a save on Jack off of a cross feed pass from Toffoli, he dove, Jack had a wide open net and he made the save.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar

He did have that crazy blocker save on the open net Jack had on the last PP, I believe he saved that. But its just semantics. Wings goalie could have had a beer in the crease tonight and relax

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
positive vibe post

1700711257412.jpeg

TF1970

May 9, 2021
It's just wild hearing people talk about saves and goaltending when we scored no goals.

I think it’s a huge problem overall, probably the biggest along with the system itself (which that ultimately I guess means the coach). But the goaltender was certainly not the biggest issue tonight. No way.

It's not even that they scored no goals, they got sixteen flipping shots...against Detroit lol. And we're not talking about Lidstrom Detroit here.

That might be the craziest part. It’s not like they did this against Vegas or Boston for example.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Again, Vitek is showing to not be redeemable here.

If he’s here next year it almost definitely means he finished with similar numbers to last year.

And for him to finish with similar numbers to last year it probably means that he will have to play some of the best goalie he’s ever played here for the remainder of the year. Maybe better than any of his hot streaks last year. Color me skeptical he’ll do that and that he hasn’t peaked here. Last January seems to be the top of the mountain for him as a Devils goalie.

Again, I think he can be a decent goalie again somewhere else, but he’s already a lost cause here.

And I don’t think there’s too many guys that have confidence in him, between what he did in the playoffs last year (and what happened when he wasn’t in during the playoffs) and the start to this season.

I don’t think anybody trusts him other than obviously Ruff or whoever actually makes the goalie decisions who have deemed him worthy of starting 70% of the games so far.

Reactions: Nevins

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Lyon made a save on Jack off of a cross feed pass from Toffoli, he dove, Jack had a wide open net and he made the save.
That was his ONLY shot then cause he only had 1 shot tonight .
1 shot in 22:06 of ice time.

But yeah goaltending.

TF1970

May 9, 2021
Again, Vitek is showing to not be redeemable here.

If he’s here next year it almost definitely means he finished with similar numbers to last year.

And for him to finish with similar numbers to last year it probably means that he will have to play some of the best goalie he’s ever played here for the remainder of the year. Maybe better than any of his hot streaks last year. Color me skeptical he’ll do that and that he hasn’t peaked here. Last January seems to be the top of the mountain for him as a Devils goalie.

Again, I think he can be a decent goalie again somewhere else, but he’s already a lost cause here.

And I don’t think there’s too many guys that have confidence in him, between what he did in the playoffs last year (and what happened when he wasn’t in during the playoffs) and the start to this season.

I don’t think anybody trusts him other than obviously Ruff or whoever actually makes the goalie decisions that have deemed him worthy of starting 70% of the games so far.

I found myself today thinking back to when he started game 3 against the canes. When the devils scored 8 and he still nearly let Carolina rally from like five goals down to get within three with plenty of clock left. That was pitiful.

Reactions: Bleedred

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
It's just wild hearing people talk about saves and goaltending when we scored no goals.
They’ve been average 3-4 goals against the goaltending has been absolutely f***ing dog shit. That’s why it’s being talked about.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Dude, the offense is top 10 in the league at 3.7 goals per gm. Shots and goals is not a goddamn concern until we have another few games like tonight, hence the goaltending and D is being discussed more. Even in our other worst games this season we would still pot 3 goals

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
It's not even that they scored no goals, they got sixteen flipping shots...against Detroit lol. And we're not talking about Lidstrom Detroit here.
The Devils sacrifice defense for offense, that’s fine, but then the offense isn’t showing up like it did last year.

And I don’t even mean in goals, I mean in good play. This year the Devils are mostly only getting the negatives out of their philosophy and not as much of the positive.

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
I assume the front office has some sort of marker moment they feel is the crossing point from just games to trend.

Devils have finished 20% of the season but there were some injuries in it. It wouldn’t surprise me if they wanted to give it another 3-10 games before doing anything radical.

I may not agree but I think that’s probably the discussion internally.
10 games is entirely too long to let this keep going on.

The injuries are also a piss poor excuse.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Dude, the offense is top 10 in the league. Shots and goals is not a goddamn concern until we have another few games like tonight, hence the goaltending and D is being discussed more. Even in our other worst games this season we would still pot 3 goals
5 on 5, only SJ has a worse share of goals than the Devils.

Even if you only look at goals for, there are only 3 worse teams than the Devils so far this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad