Confirmed with Link: Devils re-sign Sergey Kalinin

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
liking these short term deals for players who are in need of showing Staff they have what it takes to be part of the future. No problem with this deal at all.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Excellent. Good hard working player with wheels. I still think he has some untapped offensive potential, too. Glad he's back.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
He does work hard, not always smarter, but harder. At any rate I'm fine seeing him back for another year and hopefully he will find his game on a more consistent basis and exhibit further development.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
9133097.jpg

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Ahh yes his GHHT vs. arch rivals

A fan favorite that particular night

Watch out for those taped hands!

ChicoEatsNachos

Jan 14, 2016
Little Ferry NJ
Sometimes I like a player more or less than they actually deserve based on a clear eyed evaluation of their performance. I was definitely on the "like more than he deserves" boat with Kalinin so I'm glad he's back even if he didn't have the offensive production I thought he was capable of. He should still be good for the fourth line.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Big fan of his, hes like Zubrus-lite. Good 4th line guy to have and can play up the lineup if needed. Hopefully he can ramp up his game this season.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Don't mind this, he was night and day from the beginning of the season to the end. Curious if he's got any more room for development in him.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I really like his game, kinda of reminds me of Sergei Nemchinov, not flashy but plays hard and does all the little things. In a way Sergei Brylin too.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
He needs to add more offense to his game. He needs to find a way to finish plays. When he does that he's a really effective player for us.

I like Kalinin a lot. Good deal for us.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I thought he showed stretches of offense. It kind of came in clumps, so consistency is something he needs to work on... or other teams figured out how to play him.

The guy's like a bowling ball. He was just charging forward and barreling through people. It was kind of fun to watch.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Good prove it deal. Welcomed depth. Assuming this is a 1-way? Not sure how that 1-way/2-way stuff works as far as eligibility.

1-way/2-way really only has to do with how much each player gets paid at the NHL/AHL level

doesn't have anything to do with waivers

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Short response: Woohoo!

Long Response: Hope he can improve on those offensive skills in off season, so that he can stick around as a bottom 6 or maybe if something magical happens middle 6 long term.

Another question.... how is it that he signed below his previous salary if he was qualified at like whatever above 925K + x% or whatever.... for 800k? I mean, obviously he stayed RFA and was qualified earlier so not sure why the pay cut?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Short response: Woohoo!

Long Response: Hope he can improve on those offensive skills in off season, so that he can stick around as a bottom 6 or maybe if something magical happens middle 6 long term.

Another question.... how is it that he signed below his previous salary if he was qualified at like whatever above 925K + x% or whatever.... for 800k? I mean, obviously he stayed RFA and was qualified earlier so not sure why the pay cut?

It's likely he took less for a one-way deal to ensure that he's making 800k. I'm almost positive the qualifying offer would have been a two-way deal.

Other than that, I would say maybe there is something the player can discuss into a contract that is more appealing than taking a basic qualifying offer. Players rarely ever sign those so there must be a reason.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Oh, didn't think of that......yeah that would be a perfectly good reason, thanks.

Good thing that I'm not a player agent.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Josefson-Fiddler-Kalinin should be a real hard working and defensive responsible 4th line. Not a whole lot of offense but at least they won't actively hurt us like last season. All are capable of playing up if needed and all are useful special teamers. This is the kind of 4th line a winning team needs. Lots of competition for those spots as well.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Meh... He's zubrus-lite who scored one nice goal and doesn't look out of place.

He'll be gone next year

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Was really interesting to hear Shero say Kalinin was a Lou find.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad