Confirmed with Link: Devils re-sign Pavel Zacha (3 years, $2.25 AAV)

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I have a feeling we are going to hate the opening night line combos. Hopefully not, but I feel like we will see Simmonds tied to Hughes at least.

That right there is enough to make me hate it. Hughes shouldn't be tied to a 5v5 boat anchor

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That right there is enough to make me hate it. Hughes shouldn't be tied to a 5v5 boat anchor
They might also feel that Hughes might be enough to help someone that’s a boat anchor 5 on 5.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I could see him playing well with Wood and Zacha, but I agree that I wouldn't want him anywhere near Hughes.

That's ideally where I want him. For me the issue is what to do with Boqvist. I think he is 100% the best player we have for the 12th forward spot but if he's with Coleman and Zajac that's putting him onto a shutdown line that'll have a large majority of the DZ starts. If he's with Zacha and Wood then he might be better off in Sweden but if there is an injury in the top 6 I feel he's the perfect guy to step into that role

Reactions: Blackjack

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
They might also feel that Hughes might be enough to help someone that’s a boat anchor 5 on 5.

The Athletic article was talking about how Hughes creates seams with his zone entries, and then slots passes to wingers that find them. I think we probably want someone with really slick hands, skating and intelligence on his wing. Fortunately we have a bevy of such guys: Hall, Bratt, Gusev, and Palmieri would all fit the bill.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
The Athletic article was talking about how Hughes creates seams with his zone entries, and then slots passes to wingers that find them. I think we probably want someone with really slick hands, skating and intelligence on his wing. Fortunately we have a bevy of such guys: Hall, Bratt, Gusev, and Palmieri would all fit the bill.

I agree with the other 3 but I've never felt he and Hall's styles would mesh super well. They both carry the puck so much I could see their styles clashing

Reactions: mtnet

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I can't imagine a better winger on this team for Hughes than Palms. He is the exact guy in every way to be playing with him. I will be dumbfounded if that isn't what they try first.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I can't imagine a better winger on this team for Hughes than Palms. He is the exact guy in every way to be playing with him. I will be dumbfounded if that isn't what they try first.

Plus he's arguably the only "shooter" out of forward bunch. We have a bunch of guys who can score goals, sure, but I'd say Palmieri is the only "goal scorer" if that makes sense.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Plus he's arguably the only "shooter" out of forward bunch. We have a bunch of guys who can score goals, sure, but I'd say Palmieri is the only "goal scorer" if that makes sense.

Hall is the biggest shooter of the bunch in terms of volume

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Yea in terms of volume, but that's about it. Hall is better at pretty much everything hockey related than Palms. But Palms has him beat when it comes to shooting the puck. Whether its 1Ts or wrist shots or straight slappers. Speed and accuracy goes to Palms.

Hall shoots more simply because he has the puck so much more. If you enter the zone with the puck every time, you only have two options, and one of them is shoot. And Hall enters the zone with the puck, A LOT.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Yea in terms of volume, but that's about it. Hall is better at pretty much everything hockey related than Palms. But Palms has him beat when it comes to shooting the puck. Whether its 1Ts or wrist shots or straight slappers. Speed and accuracy goes to Palms.

Hall shoots more simply because he has the puck so much more. If you enter the zone with the puck every time, you only have two options, and one of them is shoot. And Hall enters the zone with the puck, A LOT.

When it comes to being a straight up triggerman Palms is elite. I think it was CJ Turtoro who said something like if all things are equal Laine has the best shooting % in the league at 30% or something and I believe Palms was #2 at like 20%

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
When it comes to being a straight up triggerman Palms is elite. I think it was CJ Turtoro who said something like if all things are equal Laine has the best shooting % in the league at 30% or something and I believe Palms was #2 at like 20%
Interesting, didn't hear that.

But that's what I meant when I said perfect for Hughes and what Bildo was saying when he said "goal scorer."

It will be very exciting to watch, I hope they are given time to click.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
You're both right

Palms never saw a shot he didn't like and it's far and away his leading attribute

His one timer is decent too, our power play is just way too obvious telegraphing setups

Reactions: Billdo

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Largely agree with this.

I do wonder, though, how Simmonds would pair with Hughes though. There's the obvious "protection" that he offers Jack, but beyond that, it also seems like Hughes sets up players for a fair amount of goals in tight (or via deflection). Wonder if that part of Simmonds' game might translate well to playing with Hughes, whereas Palms can rip it from further away.

The more I think about it, the more I really like the idea of Zacha on Hughes' LW. Can step in on faceoffs, help out defensively...plus, Hall and Gusev just don't seem like great fits with Hughes considering how Hall carries the puck and Gusev is also more of a playmaker.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
You're both right

Palms never saw a shot he didn't like and it's far and away his leading attribute

His one timer is decent too, our power play is just way too obvious telegraphing setups

giphy.gif

BadRequiredApatosaur-size_restricted.gif

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Largely agree with this.

I do wonder, though, how Simmonds would pair with Hughes though. There's the obvious "protection" that he offers Jack, but beyond that, it also seems like Hughes sets up players for a fair amount of goals in tight (or via deflection). Wonder if that part of Simmonds' game might translate well to playing with Hughes, whereas Palms can rip it from further away.

The more I think about it, the more I really like the idea of Zacha on Hughes' LW. Can step in on faceoffs, help out defensively...plus, Hall and Gusev just don't seem like great fits with Hughes considering how Hall carries the puck and Gusev is also more of a playmaker.

I get the gut feeling that at least for one game they're going to try Simmonds with Hall and Hischier. *IF* he can keep up well enough, it might work out. Hall is a high volume shooter, Nico can cover for Simmond's defensive inadequacies, and Simmonds can be there to clean up rebounds and add some grit.

That would probably make a 2nd line of Goose - Hughes - Palms, and perhaps another scoring line of Boqvist - Zacha - Bratt. leaving Coleman - Zajac - Wood in a shutdown role. The main concern would be the 2nd line's ability to defend.

Reactions: HBK27

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
But his shots often come via his own creation, often on the move.

Palms is more a find a soft spot, wait for a pass and rip it, type player.

In general I think Palms benefits from playing with a puck mover who can set up the offense. Hall fits that bill, and I imagine Hughes will fit that bill while being more of a setup man/less of a shooter then Hall is.

Hall and Hughes together seems a bit redundant as you prob want to spread out two high level puck carriers, but I imagine they would produce some high level offensive chances.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I get the gut feeling that at least for one game they're going to try Simmonds with Hall and Hischier. *IF* he can keep up well enough, it might work out. Hall is a high volume shooter, Nico can cover for Simmond's defensive inadequacies, and Simmonds can be there to clean up rebounds and add some grit.

That would probably make a 2nd line of Goose - Hughes - Palms, and perhaps another scoring line of Boqvist - Zacha - Bratt. leaving Coleman - Zajac - Wood in a shutdown role. The main concern would be the 2nd line's ability to defend.
The third and fourth lines are exactly what I posted earlier. I think they work out well. Your second line could be a little defensively weak, but they will wreak havoc in the O-zone

Reactions: Nubmer6

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

Yeah, I think the 2nd line would be sheltered a bit in your scenario in terms of zone starts, but I don't see that as a big problem.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad