Devils re-sign Henrique to multi-year contract (6yrs $24M)

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
The Henrique/Elias PK duo is absolutely incredible to watch. The stick work, tenacity and ability to create havoc on a 2-on-2 going the other way is magical. All it takes is one errant pass...

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
No issue if Henrique were to get it, but I'd still like to see Greene with it assuming he'll be here long term

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
I think it was discussed at the time Sal got it, but a lot of people wondered if he was the placeholder until Henrique was ready.

I don't care how good he is in the room, he's a massive liability on the ice and shouldn't be on the team next season. Adam would be my first choice...

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I honestly think it is almost a certainty.

I think it should be between him and Greene.

Honestly, I feel like he should be moved back to center and Lou should target a winger in the offseason to play with him. His play making skills are pretty under rated and if they can find someone consistent that can put the puck in the net to be on his wing, you'll get a way more productive season out of him.

GhostofKenKlee

I think the three Portuguese players in the league are Tavares, Henrique, and Ribeiro.

They should put up a banner or poster of Henrique with his musketeer/marauder mustache with a phrase in Portuguese in the Ironbound.

If the Atlanta Thrashers can have Armenian Heritage Night, the Devils can pimp the Portuguese background of Henrique lol

Actually the Kings had/have Armenian heritage night(s). They tend to do it when Zach Bogosian is in town.

Add, Drew Doughty and Joe Corvo to your Portuguese players list.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Henrique's most impressive quality is his acceleration, and subsequently, his ability to jump on loose pucks. When it's there for the taking he grabs it.

That's the main reason why he's so good shorthanded.

Feb 16, 2013
NJ
I think it was discussed at the time Sal got it, but a lot of people wondered if he was the placeholder until Henrique was ready.

I don't care how good he is in the room, he's a massive liability on the ice and shouldn't be on the team next season. Adam would be my first choice...

It depends if they want a vocal leader pete should give Jagr the c but if they want lead by example henrique would be great .

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Statistically he has had a good start compared to last year. Last year it took him till the 16th game to get 7 points. So a fast start.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Watching his level of play I can't help but feel like he's had room to be even better. he's had quite a few chances to get some more points that didn't quite work out. But he's producing so I can't complain.

It feels like he hasn't really dominated any games like we know he has the ability to do. Just really solid all-around play. His points have been kind of quiet and under the radar.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Watching his level of play I can't help but feel like he's had room to be even better. he's had quite a few chances to get some more points that didn't quite work out. But he's producing so I can't complain.

It feels like he hasn't really dominated any games like we know he has the ability to do. Just really solid all-around play. His points have been kind of quiet and under the radar.

i think he and cammalleri could do some nice things together if they get on the same line at some point

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010

That is exactly how he plays his game as well, very under the radar

I thought for a brief period of time during the half season and even into the begining of last year that he was either injured or had slowed up for some reason, but I started following him around the ice more frequently to try and figure out what was going on

It almost seems like he is just coasting around the ice, both when he does and doesn't have the puck - but his version of coasting is essentially him calculating if that makes any sense.

If he has the puck, he might not be moving as quick as he could, but he is strong enough with the puck that he knows he can hang on to it if pressured, but more importantly, he is looking around the ice constantly to make himself aware of the situation and rarely do you see him make mistakes, and if he needs to create some room for himself, boom its off to the races within his first stride or two.

If he doesn't have the puck it's the same thing; he's not breezing by everybody on the ice, jumping in and out and rubbing guys out, rather calculating where he has to be after the guy who has the puck (on his team or not) gets rid of it and it shows with his solid defensive play and being in the right places. The goal he scored the other night with Jagr's assist is exactly what I'm talking about.

It's a very sneaky style of play he has; watch him do exactly that on this goal

[NHL]2014020080-247-h[/NHL]

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
That is exactly how he plays his game as well, very under the radar

I thought for a brief period of time during the half season and even into the begining of last year that he was either injured or had slowed up for some reason, but I started following him around the ice more frequently to try and figure out what was going on

It almost seems like he is just coasting around the ice, both when he does and doesn't have the puck - but his version of coasting is essentially him calculating if that makes any sense.

If he has the puck, he might not be moving as quick as he could, but he is strong enough with the puck that he knows he can hang on to it if pressured, but more importantly, he is looking around the ice constantly to make himself aware of the situation and rarely do you see him make mistakes, and if he needs to create some room for himself, boom its off to the races within his first stride or two.

If he doesn't have the puck it's the same thing; he's not breezing by everybody on the ice, jumping in and out and rubbing guys out, rather calculating where he has to be after the guy who has the puck (on his team or not) gets rid of it and it shows with his solid defensive play and being in the right places. The goal he scored the other night with Jagr's assist is exactly what I'm talking about.

It's a very sneaky style of play he has; watch him do exactly that on this goal

[NHL]2014020080-247-h[/NHL]

Interested to see the video but doesn't work for me. Do not know if it is my computer or your embedding?

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Interested to see the video but doesn't work for me. Do not know if it is my computer or your embedding?

Works for me but try this;

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/?id=2014020080-247-h

Also take a look at this as well

First goal he sneaks into the slot, second goal he takes off, third goal he sneaks into the slot again and so on - it's a lot tougher for opposition to pick up on a guy who doesn't appear to be moving fast with the pace of play and they'll forget about a guy like that often leaving him open in key areas

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Works for me but try this;

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/?id=2014020080-247-h

Also take a look at this as well

First goal he sneaks into the slot, second goal he takes off, third goal he sneaks into the slot again and so on - it's a lot tougher for opposition to pick up on a guy who doesn't appear to be moving fast with the pace of play and they'll forget about a guy like that often leaving him open in key areas

Wow! Based off that video a high percentage of powerplay and even strength goals were scored from the slot. He would be awesome with Jagr, why has no one been talking about that. Jagr throws the puck in to the slot a lot. They combined for a few goals in that video using the exact same method. Seriously should be taken in to consideration.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Henrique was Mr. Invisible until the Olympic break, when he started scoring a pair of goals every game for a couple weeks after it.

I don't see what the issue is this year though, three goals and seven points in six games? I'll sign up for that any day. Especially from line 2A or 2B, whatever Henrique-Clowe-Ryder is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad