Devils Rangers line brawl to start the game (8 game misconducts given out)

BS45

Aug 20, 2022
where ever its 5pm
"no reason to pick him other than he thought he was the weakest link"

How about he was just the closest player?

Looked like Marino and Tierney were gliding over to the Lazar/Vesey fight to possibly knock the gloves out of the way to clear the area (pure guess by me), though the two of them quickly go down to the ice. At that point, Marino would have to skate around Tierney or Miller in order to get to Trouba.

Again, it was a no-win situation for Marino as both Rangers defensemen were bigger and much heavier than him. Miller also drops his stick and gloves before Marino, so it was more a matter of the two of them being paired up than Marino going out and choosing someone to match up with.

View attachment 845988 View attachment 845989
You are dead wrong!!! The players that were on the ice spoke about the chain of events and Marino picked Miller!
This is straight from Miller in the Athletic article.....-
John Marino is no fighter either, but the Devils defenseman skated over toward Miller to engage as the rest of the fights were going. “I was kind of just hanging out watching the fireworks,” Miller said. “I saw (Marino) come over to our side of the ice, he looked at me, gave me a nod and I was like, ‘Why not?’
“I thought it was gonna be a bad idea. But I guess he found out.”
Trouba had this to say on the subject “There’s two guys left, Key starts fighting and it’s like, we’re not going to be the only two not fighting,” said Trouba, who matched up with Chris Tierney, a journeyman center who had never fought before in the NHL. “That’s not probably the guy I should be going after, but those were the two guys that were left.”
So Miller and Trouba were not planning on fighting. Tierney was not planning on fighting either.
Goodrow wanted to let Rempe know they had his back as he said here.
Rempe knew he was going to fight Kurtis MacDermid, but no one else seemed to know what was coming next, even though there were hints from the Rangers’ room following Thursday’s optional practice — a skate just for the healthy scratches, the goalies and the two-second brigade mentioned above — that the guys on the ice weren’t going to allow Rempe to go it alone at the Garden.
“Kinda,” Goodrow said if he knew what was coming after the puck dropped. “It wasn’t really planned out or anything; it just happened. It’s just about having each other’s backs. Remps has been doing that for us since he’s been here, so it was time for us to step up. Rivalry game, MSG — doesn’t get much better than a line brawl to start it off.”
So he dropped his gloves and skated past Tierney, the opposite center straight to Dahl to fight him because he didn't want to fight Tierney who he is good friends with.

Arthur Staple who wrote the article then added-
Miller then informed us all that he mixes in some boxing lessons with his offseason training. Marino might have chosen a different partner if he knew that.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
You are dead wrong!!! The players that were on the ice spoke about the chain of events and Marino picked Miller!

You're making it sound like Marino surveyed the scene...gave it some thought...maybe even played a game of "eeny, meeny, miny, moe" and settled on Miller.

Yeah, he looked at Miller and asked him to go...because there were no good options and Miller was significantly closer to him than Trouba. Three other fights had already broken out, one of which included Bahl (not Dahl as you keep referring to him), so it wasn't just a line fight among the forwards. In hindsight, Marino and Tierney (a complete non-fighter, who has logged nearly 700 NHL games without a fight before this one) probably should've sat those bouts out, but it is what it is. Again, I blame Green for not having to foresight to put Smith in the starting lineup over Marino in case something like that happened.

Seems extremely far-fetched to think that Marino thought things through and settled on Miller as some kind of easier target versus Trouba, when he (and Tierney) were going to be at a severe disadvantage either way. Not to mention he'd be leaving his teammate that's never fought before with a tougher matchup.

BS45

Aug 20, 2022
where ever its 5pm
What don't you understand? Miller and Trouba were not looking to go until Marino asked Miller to go! I get your a Devils fan but geez, its right there in black and white, Marino asked Miller to go. Marino could have sat it out and none of the 4 would have fought but he decided he wanted to be a part of it and had two players to pick from and chose Miller. If he asked him to go, he chose him, its simple! It must be mentioned that he did leave a teammate who never fought before with a tougher matchup.

Nfumass

Oct 2, 2004
Ma
And I guarantee you that long term they won't be hockey fans because of the fighting. If hockey will make the game so popular why was it always the #4 sport when fighting was a bigger part of the game
Well by viewship last year it was #7 sport in the US, so maybe it did help.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Glad the Devils went after that moron. He should of fought last game but he's a bit of a coward. Not even a really good.fightee considering how big he is too.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
What don't you understand? Miller and Trouba were not looking to go until Marino asked Miller to go! I get your a Devils fan but geez, its right there in black and white, Marino asked Miller to go. Marino could have sat it out and none of the 4 would have fought but he decided he wanted to be a part of it and had two players to pick from and chose Miller. If he asked him to go, he chose him, its simple! It must be mentioned that he did leave a teammate who never fought before with a tougher matchup.

I'm not denying that Marino made the decision to fight with Miller.

The only thing I've been doing this entire time is pushing back on your idiotic assertion that Marino chose Miller over Trouba because he thought it would be an easier matchup...or if your words, that he viewed Miller as the "weakest link" which is beyond poor phrasing when both options had a significant size and weight advantage over him.

You think Marino would've fared any better if he had squared off against Trouba instead?

To quote you once more..."What don't you understand?"

Stop trying to spin it like Marino went into that matchup thinking he was going to take Miller despite being 2 inches shorter and weighing 30 pounds less. I doubt Marino really wanted to fight, just like Tierney wasn't looking for his first fight either after nearly 700 games in the NHL and having to match up against a much bigger opponent with fighting experience in Trouba, but that's what happens when 3 other fights break out around you like that. Had Goodrow actually scrapped with Tierney and kept it as a line brawl, then I think the defensemen likely would've just stayed out of it, but that was no longer the case once he went after Bahl.

Watch the video- Marino sort out Miller, he skated over center ice to where Miller was at the Rangers blueline. Please stop playing Mr innocent here. Both teams knew what was happening before it happened- Marino thought he was picking the weak link and still got his butt handed to him!

Its a bad take- Just watched the overheaded 4 or 5 more times to see if I missed something but i missed nothing.
Rempe and Macdermid was the given but didn't drop the gloves as quickly.
Vesey and Lazar went right away, might have even dropped the gloves before the puck actually dropped it is really close. Goodrow dropped his gloves on puck drop and skated right for Dahl. Tierney who was playing center, after Goodrow skated right past him to go to Dahl kinda looked like he was not ready for that. He looked around then followed Marino to his right past Vesey & Lazar who are on the ice. As Tierney and Marino skated over center ice Marino went towards Miller and Miller dropped his gloves and stick. Tierney looked up and saw Trouba skating towards him dropping his gloves. Think Vesey and Lazar had bad blood if I remember correctly Lazar got Vesey with a hit last year that Vesey didn't like and there was some bad blood- so they were going no matter what. Think Goodrow was the guy who turned it into the line brawl and then Marino followed by going towards Miller and then Miller and Trouba engaged. Think Marino doesn't go towards Miller if Goodrow doesn't go after Dahl. But as far as Marino is concerned, he is a defenseman, who is at his own blue line- skates over the red line to Miller's side of the center ice to go to him.
Marino went to Miller - he chose Miller!
You say Ranger fans chose to lie! Nothing could be further from the truth!
You don't like the choice of words- he chose the weakest link? There is no history between Marino and Miller so no reason to pick him other than he thought he was the weakest link.

Lindgren can not fight- leads with his head!

Reactions: Xirik

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

The only thing I've been doing this entire time is pushing back on your idiotic assertion that Marino chose Miller over Trouba because he thought it would be an easier matchup...or if your words, that he viewed Miller as the "weakest link" which is beyond poor phrasing when both options had a significant size and weight advantage over him.

You think Marino would've fared any better if he had squared off against Trouba instead?

Stop trying to spin it like Marino went into that matchup thinking he was going to take Miller despite being 2 inches shorter and weighing 30 pounds less. I doubt Marino really wanted to fight, just like Tierney wasn't looking for his first fight either after nearly 700 games in the NHL and having to match up against a much bigger opponent with fighting experience in Trouba, but that's what happens when 3 other fights break out around you like that. Had Goodrow actually scrapped with Tierney and kept it as a line brawl, then I think the defensemen likely would've just stayed out of it, but that was no longer the case once he went after Bahl.
it's pretty clear that ranger fans are deflecting to marino, a guy who never drops the gloves, to avoid talking about the fact that their big bad rempe got his shit kicked in. i don't even blame them for the deflection, i would be doing the same thing lol

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
The whole "this wouldn't have happened if Rempe answered the bell last game" is such a whiny ass excuse for what happened.

The best revenge is winning on the scoreboard, but the Devils were more concerned about the sideshow. Last game too. Meanwhile, the Rangers basically put a dagger in any hope the Devils might have had going into last night.
The devils are sawft! they let other teams just role over them!

The Devils shouldn't goon it up and just win on the scoreboard!

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
it's pretty clear that ranger fans are deflecting to marino, a guy who never drops the gloves, to avoid talking about the fact that their big bad rempe got his shit kicked in. i don't even blame them for the deflection, i would be doing the same thing lol
You're right, the Rangers just swept NJ in the season series with a combined score of 17-8, but sure, Ranger fans definitely need to deflect from the fact that Rempe's lip was bleeding a little bit. Congrats on your win.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
You're right, the Rangers just swept NJ in the season series with a combined score of 17-8, but sure, Ranger fans definitely need to deflect from the fact that Rempe's lip was bleeding a little bit. Congrats on your win.
congrats lol. this one will last a lifetime

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Can we not have one of these per decade without it being a huge deal? I don't think anybody is arguing this should happen regularly.
Sure but the freak show surrounding Rempe and guys like Subban saying hockey needs this is what irkes me

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Like it or not, this is what hockey has been like for the majority of its existence. Now, nobody has referenced the NHL as a clown league at that time. What has changed?

18,000 screaming fans on their feet watching this will agree that this was the highlight of the game.

Why are you so opposed to this type of thing?
This is hockey. Go watch figure skating if you don't like it.
Go watch figure skating as if that is an insult. Go watch MMA if you want to see this instead of goals, passes and body checks.
Lets agree to disagree. I thought hockey moved past this 'slapshot' schtick. You do not see this stuff in the NFL and it has no problem attracting viewers.

Reactions: Slurpeelover27

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
Go watch figure skating as if that is an insult. Go watch MMA if you want to see this instead of goals, passes and body checks.
Lets agree to disagree. I thought hockey moved past this 'slapshot' schtick. You do not see this stuff in the NFL and it has no problem attracting viewers.
It's not meant to be an insult. If you want fluff, watch fluff. Hockey players fight.

There's nothing wrong with what happened in that game. I , along with millions of others love seeing a good brawl on the ice, and as much as you want it to, it isn't going away. That's not to say I don't enjoy the goals, passes and body checks. It's all part of the game in which I love.

BS45

Aug 20, 2022
where ever its 5pm

Stop trying to spin it like Marino went into that matchup thinking he was going to take Miller despite being 2 inches shorter and weighing 30 pounds less. I doubt Marino really wanted to fight, just like Tierney wasn't looking for his first fight either after nearly 700 games in the NHL and having to match up against a much bigger opponent with fighting experience in Trouba, but that's what happens when 3 other fights break out around you like that. Had Goodrow actually scrapped with Tierney and kept it as a line brawl, then I think the defensemen likely would've just stayed out of it, but that was no longer the case once he went after Bahl

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Man, I like Jennifer Botterill typically but she is woefully unaware of her blindspots.

Whenever there's important fights or references to the code she becomes incredibly opinionated about how irrelevant it all is etc.

She was a world class female player, but she has never played in a league with any sense of toughness, intimidation, etc so she really isn't qualified to be so opinionated on something she doesn't understand.

As someone who played, the right fights at the right time can literally galvanize your team's entire identity and turn a season around. It creates that 'us against them' mentality and means that you're willing to live and die for each other, block that extra shot, etc.

If you haven't played, you don't understand that. And if you've only ever played women's hockey, you likely understand just about everything in the game except for that.

I'm not a misogynist and I'm certainly not telling her to shut up because she's a woman. I just find that on this one topic she could hold her opinions a little bit more lightly since they are constantly opposed by those on the panel who, you know, actually played in games where this could happen, and she has no lived experience to fall back on.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Man, I like Jennifer Botterill typically but she is woefully unaware of her blindspots.

Whenever there's important fights or references to the code she becomes incredibly opinionated about how irrelevant it all is etc.

She was a world class female player, but she has never played in a league with any sense of toughness, intimidation, etc so she really isn't qualified to be so opinionated on something she doesn't understand.

As someone who played, the right fights at the right time can literally galvanize your team's entire identity and turn a season around. It creates that 'us against them' mentality and means that you're willing to live and die for each other, block that extra shot, etc.

If you haven't played, you don't understand that. And if you've only ever played women's hockey, you likely understand just about everything in the game except for that.

I'm not a misogynist and I'm certainly not telling her to shut up because she's a woman. I just find that on this one topic she could hold her opinions a little bit more lightly since they are constantly opposed by those on the panel who, you know, actually played in games where this could happen, and she has no lived experience to fall back on.
We live in the age where Experts are seen as hacks with agenda's.

Everyone's opinions need to be seen and heard, No hurt feelings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad