Devils Rangers line brawl to start the game (8 game misconducts given out)

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Its a bad take- Just watched the overheaded 4 or 5 more times to see if I missed something but i missed nothing.
Rempe and Macdermid was the given but didn't drop the gloves as quickly.
Vesey and Lazar went right away, might have even dropped the gloves before the puck actually dropped it is really close. Goodrow dropped his gloves on puck drop and skated right for Dahl. Tierney who was playing center, after Goodrow skated right past him to go to Dahl kinda looked like he was not ready for that. He looked around then followed Marino to his right past Vesey & Lazar who are on the ice. As Tierney and Marino skated over center ice Marino went towards Miller and Miller dropped his gloves and stick. Tierney looked up and saw Trouba skating towards him dropping his gloves. Think Vesey and Lazar had bad blood if I remember correctly Lazar got Vesey with a hit last year that Vesey didn't like and there was some bad blood- so they were going no matter what. Think Goodrow was the guy who turned it into the line brawl and then Marino followed by going towards Miller and then Miller and Trouba engaged. Think Marino doesn't go towards Miller if Goodrow doesn't go after Dahl. But as far as Marino is concerned, he is a defenseman, who is at his own blue line- skates over the red line to Miller's side of the center ice to go to him.
Marino went to Miller - he chose Miller!
You say Ranger fans chose to lie! Nothing could be further from the truth!
You don't like the choice of words- he chose the weakest link? There is no history between Marino and Miller so no reason to pick him other than he thought he was the weakest link.

"no reason to pick him other than he thought he was the weakest link"

How about he was just the closest player?

Looked like Marino and Tierney were gliding over to the Lazar/Vesey fight to possibly knock the gloves out of the way to clear the area (pure guess by me), though the two of them quickly go down to the ice. At that point, Marino would have to skate around Tierney or Miller in order to get to Trouba.

Again, it was a no-win situation for Marino as both Rangers defensemen were bigger and much heavier than him. Miller also drops his stick and gloves before Marino, so it was more a matter of the two of them being paired up than Marino going out and choosing someone to match up with.

1712258312465.png
1712258493773.png

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Definitely my least favorite part of hockey.

I get why Rempe and Macdermid fought... I just don't get why 4 other pairs of guys had to fight at the start of the game because Rempe threw a dirty cheapshot last time they played.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
That was fun but certainly Trouba and Miller didn’t know they would get ejected, right? Otherwise I’m not sure why they did that.
I think they wanted to help their team. From what Rangers fans are saying they've been pretty abysmal as a pair, and Trouba individually.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
Definitely my least favorite part of hockey.

I get why Rempe and Macdermid fought... I just don't get why 4 other pairs of guys had to fight at the start of the game because Rempe threw a dirty cheapshot last time they played.
Travis Green decided to start the MacDermid line, think it pissed off Laviolette and the rest of the bench

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Travis Green decided to start the MacDermid line, think it pissed off Laviolette and the rest of the bench
I don't get it at all. Reminds me of the time years ago when Torts was with the Canucks and there was that big line brawl. Tom Sestito starting on the ice. IIRC defenseman Kevin Bieksa ended up taking the opening faceoff lol.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
All none hockey fans in America can talk about is a line brawl where Miller took on Marino. Good job Rags and Debbies. Really did the NHL proud.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
I don't get it at all. Reminds me of the time years ago when Torts was with the Canucks and there was that big line brawl. Tom Sestito starting on the ice. IIRC defenseman Kevin Bieksa ended up taking the opening faceoff lol.
If the Rangers had started the line they were initially going to (which I assume was the Zibanejad line), what then? MacDermid was going to chase around Roslovic during the first shift or take a run at Zibanejad? Green was asking for it by putting that line out there, don't think he expected Laviolette to get his own players to commit to a line-brawl though. Rangers flipped the script on them and I think it set the tone for the rest of the game imo. That's smart no bullshit coaching, Rangers of last year under Gallant as a head coach would've folded to the Devs in a situation like last night.

Also Devils nation have been talking this game up for over a month as a desperate attempt to seek some form of blood-lust vengeance at MSG and spring a late playoff push to sneak into the 2nd wild-card slot, to then play the Rangers in round 1 again and turn into some type of thorn in your ass that you can't get rid of. Rangers almost certainly couldn't afford to get embarrassed by them at home with the playoffs looming so closely by so in the end it's just the best way to put the Devils drama to rest.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
Old time hockey men were men again at least for 1 night
Yeah that's what real men do. Go watch MMA/UFC for this. NBA, NFL and MLB loving seeing this. NHL will never be any competition for them when this stuff continues.

Rempe and this crap is a complete joke.

I love hockey, but I am embarrassed to call myself a hockey fan.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
If the Rangers had started the line they were initially going to (which I assume was the Zibanejad line), what then? MacDermid was going to chase around Roslovic during the first shift or take a run at Zibanejad? Green was asking for it by putting that line out there, don't think he expected Laviolette to get his own players to commit to a line-brawl though. Rangers flipped the script on them and I think it set the tone for the rest of the game imo. That's smart no bullshit coaching, Rangers of last year under Gallant as a head coach would've folded to the Devs in a situation like last night.

Also Devils nation have been talking this game up for over a month as a desperate attempt to seek some form of blood-lust vengeance at MSG and spring a late playoff push to sneak into the 2nd wild-card slot, to then play the Rangers in round 1 again and turn into some type of thorn in your ass that you can't get rid of. Rangers almost certainly couldn't afford to get embarrassed by them at home with the playoffs looming so closely by so in the end it's just the best way to put the Devils drama to rest.
Perhaps if Rempe didn't duck fighting the first time the Devils wouldn't have to force the issue with the lineup? Lets not forget which player and which team started this mess.

Geoist

May 1, 2015

Only person Laviolette should be pissed at is Rempe for putting the Rangers players at risk with his stupid baboon antics.

Geoist

May 1, 2015
Perhaps if Rempe didn't duck fighting the first time the Devils wouldn't have to force the issue with the lineup? Lets not forget which player and which team started this mess.

Exactly.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
It’s about time the new generations finally accept the fact that humans enjoy violence. And sex sells. It’s why movies and music were so much better in the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s. They gave the people what they wanted and everyone was happy.

Geoist

May 1, 2015
there was no "mess", that was simply a Devils team being outclassed by a cup contender and continually poking the bear for the past year.

wtf does having the more skilled team have to do with holding a goon accountable for his reckless hits?

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
Tell you what that was a lot of fun. All of the frustrations from the season aside, this needed to happen.

Without talking about what hits are good what hits are dirty or whatever, all three Devil/Ranger games this year leading up to this one has resulted in Devils players getting injured. This HAD to happen.

I'm not sure what Lavi was so pissed about... the Rangers get last change at home. He put Rempe out there. I can guarantee you if the Rangers healthy scratch Rempe, the Rangers win this game 5-1.

I know it's pathetic, but this season has been an embarrassment for us. This team finally stepping up for each other after doing zero in the first three games... it had to happen.

i hear this, the rangers went through that same moment a few years ago themselves. ultimately this will benefit the devils as a team in terms of chemistry and, while probably already clear, in their roster construction decisions during the offseason.

as far as lavi...i don't think it's anything more than it being an emotional game. got caught up in the moment, nothing more to read into there.

Reactions: AirGut

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
wtf does having the more skilled team have to do with holding a goon accountable for his reckless hits?

as I've said earlier, the Devils have been very close to being able to sneak into that WC2. Why would a contending team like the Rangers allow the Devils back into the playoff fight? People act like the Rangers are Third Reich Germany for calling up and employing a home-grown drafted grinder in the first place meanwhile the hits he dished are no more as lethal than what you see around the league done by players and teams every night that get praised for it. Don't forget this Rangers team still bears the scar of that Game 7 collapse against the Devils last year.

Rempe and the Rangers don't have to be "held accountable" for anything done to the Devils this past season, there is no "code" any of these players have to abide by, if you think so you haven't been closely studying the teams that actually get to touch or even sniff a Cup come June.

• Haha
Reactions: Xirik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad