GDT: Devils @ Rangers - 7pm, MSGSN & NHLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
They're a win now team with very little help on the way, so okay is a disaster and cap flexibility is limited, even with a much higher cap. These are the guys who they will ride and die with - and beyond Panarin, how many of them are going to keep putting up 70+ seasons in year 3 or 4?

Looking at the division, WAS and PIT are entering the death spiral. PHI and CBJ are 4+ years away from being serious, even with Bedard. NYI is a team fully in the prime of its window right now - they have to get it done in the next season or two, riding Sorokin. Carolina is also fully in its prime window as well.

Very favorable decade ahead for NJ, if you ask me.

Most of them have NMCs. Signing bonuses spread out. Tough sell even to the Coyotes.
I agree with this for the most part, only thing I would disagree with is CBJ. I think they are closer than 4 years. They have a lot of good young talent.

Reactions: Oneiro

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
forgot to say this yesterday but f*** keith yandle
Isn't he also the one that wrote that some really touching, cringy piece about how privileged and honored he was to play at MSG? And how it was so magical and sexual and all these other weird feels?

And then on his TNT debut he gets on there and says that of all the players that aren't in the hall he thinks Shane f***ing Doan should get in. They really won even more points with me, even before the stupid Devils skepticism.

He was actually saying that after win 12. All the stuff Biz was saying was at least before the season. Maybe still after we were 0-2-0.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
The 37 penalties they took in the third lol
If the model favors special teams stats and number of penalties taken that much the model needs adjusted. 5 on 5 teams like the Devils are gonna break that model. The Devils pushed the pace of play and had the puck for 40 minutes that game. Shots and possession time alone should have that game at least 50/50 on the deserve meter. I wonder if the 2 goal lead is also a big boost saying teams shouldn't lose after having that large a lead.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Isn't he also the one that wrote that some really touching, cringy piece about how privileged and honored he was to play at MSG? And how it was so magical and sexual and all these other weird feels?

And then on his TNT debut he gets on there and says that of all the players that aren't in the hall he thinks Shane f***ing Doan should get in. They really won even more points with me, even before the stupid Devils skepticism.

He was actually saying that after win 12. All the stuff Biz was saying was at least before the season. Maybe still after we were 0-2-0.

Maybe there was a reason his iron man streak was broken the way it was. He just sounds like such a douchebag tool. He was probably scratched just out of spite.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
shero’s fingerprints are all over this team, specifically the forwards. lou took a three year shit at center ice, and shero somehow sculpted that pile into one of the deepest offensive teams in the league.

sure would’ve been nice if he had the time to address the defense, but he was fired. worth noting he could’ve thrown massive contracts at UFA defensemen to pacify people on a message board, but he didn’t. if the right moves weren’t there, he didn’t make any, which is why we have no horrific contracts on our books.

shero had his work cut out for him, while fitz walked into a pretty good situation. they both fixed the mess lou left us in, for which i’m eternally grateful.
Uh. I think pk Subban qualifies as a ufa defenseman.

Shero drafted pretty well getting our Unicorn and the obvious two first overall picks, but until Bastian and McLeod stepped it up this year there was kind of a question there.

Edit: derf, no he was a trade...cap dump...but yeah Shero did nothing for the D

Last edited:
Reactions: Bleedred

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
You’d think, but no. Not after injuring multiple players with questionable hits during the playoff run either.
And the NHL really thinks that is the sort of garbage play fans pay to watch? it's embarrassing. And the players bear fault as well. If the NHLPA actually cared about its membership they'd want that sort of stuff curtailed. How does it help the union if players cheap shot each other? I'd love to be able to show a video of that sort of stuff to the leadership and ask them those questions in confidence where they could speak freely.

Reactions: Blender

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Uh. I think pk Subban qualifies as a ufa defenseman.

Shero drafted pretty well getting our Unicorn and the obvious two first overall picks, but until Bastian and McLeod stepped it up this year there was kind of a question there.

He doesn't; the Devils traded for him.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
And the NHL really thinks that is the sort of garbage play fans pay to watch? it's embarrassing. And the players bear fault as well. If the NHLPA actually cared about its membership they'd want that sort of stuff curtailed. How does it help the union if players cheap shot each other? I'd love to be able to show a video of that sort of stuff to the leadership and ask them those questions in confidence where they could speak freely.
The NHL doesn't give a single f*** about player safety and the NHLPA cares more about protecting jobs/salaries than they do about safety as well. Suspended/fined players take money away from the players, and that goes against the union's main goal.

My3Sons

Sponsor
The NHL doesn't give a single f*** about player safety and the NHLPA cares more about protecting jobs/salaries than they do about safety as well. Suspended/fined players take money away from the players, and that goes against the union's main goal.
In my view, you don't protect someone's job if you allow them to be subject to flagrant cheap shots without any disincentive. I also think the league should care about its stars. If the NFL finally realized they have to protect QBs and receivers maybe the NHL can do the same for its stars? With the exception of Marchand, none of the guys that engage in the most cheap shots are stars. My guess is that if you look at who is cheap shotted most in today's environment it is the good player on the receiving end. Most NYR fans don't pay money to watch Trouba try to elbow someone. The mouth breathers that would probably can't afford to actually go to the games. Beyond that, hardcore fans will go to the game if it is cleaned up. Casual fans don't want to watch cheap shots. They want to watch high end skill. Look at the highlights on Sportscenter. The league is probably being held back by the dinosaur ex players and coaches who have been around since the 1980s. It's like a fraternity that hazes its pledges because the grad students that still hang around with the undergrads were hazed too without ever stopping to think about whether it was a good thing or not and certainly not caring about the freshmen They don't even know.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
1669762790192.png

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
In my view, you don't protect someone's job if you allow them to be subject to flagrant cheap shots without any disincentive. I also think the league should care about its stars. If the NFL finally realized they have to protect QBs and receivers maybe the NHL can do the same for its stars? With the exception of Marchand, none of the guys that engage in the most cheap shots are stars. My guess is that if you look at who is cheap shotted most in today's environment it is the good player on the receiving end. Most NYR fans don't pay money to watch Trouba try to elbow someone. The mouth breathers that would probably can't afford to actually go to the games. Beyond that, hardcore fans will go to the game if it is cleaned up. Casual fans don't want to watch cheap shots. They want to watch high end skill. Look at the highlights on Sportscenter. The league is probably being held back by the dinosaur ex players and coaches who have been around since the 1980s. It's like a fraternity that hazes its pledges because the grad students that still hang around with the undergrads were hazed too without ever stopping to think about whether it was a good thing or not and certainly not caring about the freshmen They don't even know.

kucherov and hedman are stars and pulled some shady shit last playoff series vs them

My3Sons

Sponsor
kucherov and hedman are stars and pulled some shady shit last playoff series vs them
True. That was in the playoffs where it's Lord of the Flies. Still that should be cleaned up. I just don't see any current fan walking away because cheap shots are actually punished harshly. Call Trouba's flying elbow that misses as a five minute major for attempt to injure. A few of those and he will stop. Same for those late subtly dirty hits like Watson's on Hischier or that hit to the back that never gets called like the one on Hughes. After the crying subsides just show the videos. Have someone (not Bettman) explain that the league has to move into the 21st century and sell its skill and ability and it's going to actually care about player safety. It's not complicated or really that difficult. I could go on a speaking tour with a few lowlights and shame any talking head that gets upset about the integrity of the game or whatever phony platitude they'd roll out.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I think part of the issue is that they've had trouble gaining the zone at times on the PP. So when they DO get set up, they're scared of losing possession. Shooting wide or a blocked shot that clears the zone will result in us squandering the rest of our zone time. So they want to make sure that they only pull the trigger on exceptionally high quality shots.

It's the same mindset at 3 on 3, where you better make damn sure you're getting a premium opportunity otherwise it's going the other direction. But it works better at 3 on 3 because you have far more room and time to operate with.
You would think the zone entries would be better. Both Hughes and Bratt are great at them.

I'm thinking it may lie in our system. There should be a read... How many defenders are hard up on the line. If all four are up, we should be dumping the puck in. Our speed should allow us to retrieve the puck. I think we are too set on carrying over the line with that back pass to create speed for the puck carrying trailer.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
True. That was in the playoffs where it's Lord of the Flies. Still that should be cleaned up. I just don't see any current fan walking away because cheap shots are actually punished harshly. Call Trouba's flying elbow that misses as a five minute major for attempt to injure. A few of those and he will stop. Same for those late subtly dirty hits like Watson's on Hischier or that hit to the back that never gets called like the one on Hughes. After the crying subsides just show the videos. Have someone (not Bettman) explain that the league has to move into the 21st century and sell its skill and ability and it's going to actually care about player safety. It's not complicated or really that difficult. I could go on a speaking tour with a few lowlights and shame any talking head that gets upset about the integrity of the game or whatever phony platitude they'd roll out.

it wasnt the best example as they not habitual offenders but that was unbecoming of them... and whatever about the apology for nico's stones... some things you just dont do.

ive had someone grab and twist my sack while in a pile up in a soccer match years ago... i shove the pos off and i was the one that got the yellow card. it's fine, i made that club's life hell for years before and after... it was just in the 'nature' of that one specific squad. (thats all i'll say or tread into offensive and inappropriate things to say about it)

Last edited:

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
shero’s fingerprints are all over this team, specifically the forwards. lou took a three year shit at center ice, and shero somehow sculpted that pile into one of the deepest offensive teams in the league.

sure would’ve been nice if he had the time to address the defense, but he was fired. worth noting he could’ve thrown massive contracts at UFA defensemen to pacify people on a message board, but he didn’t. if the right moves weren’t there, he didn’t make any, which is why we have no horrific contracts on our books.

shero had his work cut out for him, while fitz walked into a pretty good situation. they both fixed the mess lou left us in, for which i’m
I don't want to take away anything away from Shero...But to say Fitz walked into it he was the Assistant GM working alongside Shero...He was a part of this a big part with Shero....He also has made pretty good decisions on his own imo and deserves credit to me for bringing in a more competitive accountable atmosphere.....Stressing he wants guys who don't have to be kicked in the ass to play but guys he has to hold back...I think he changed the whole atmosphere and tempo around the franchise...

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
If the model favors special teams stats and number of penalties taken that much the model needs adjusted. 5 on 5 teams like the Devils are gonna break that model. The Devils pushed the pace of play and had the puck for 40 minutes that game. Shots and possession time alone should have that game at least 50/50 on the deserve meter. I wonder if the 2 goal lead is also a big boost saying teams shouldn't lose after having that large a lead.
I don’t think it necessarily favors special teams that much but prob takes a heavy account into proximity of power plays and score of the game

In the third Cf was 16-4 for rangers at 5/5 in the third 9-1 scoring chances in favor of the rangers

In the third At 5/4 Corsi was 15-2 for the rangers and 8-2 in scoring chances.

Those are some pretty heavy numbers for a period and late in the game being only a 2
Goal game I’m sure the model maybe accounted for it differently than periods 1 and 2 ? I’m not sure

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

shero had his work cut out for him, while fitz walked into a pretty good situation. they both fixed the mess lou left us in, for which i’m eternally grateful.
I don't think Shero did a bad job here at all, other than the weird non-moves he made when we were supposed to ''Compete'' in 2019-2020. I'm not sure if that's what did him in or not, but that was really my only real complaints. Other than failing miserably at his moves with the ''Competitive'' roster in 19-20, I actually didn't think he really did a whole lot to deserve to be fired when he was.

He did miss on just about all of his D acquisitions, other than Vatanen, who was traded for a solid forward and fan favorite in a classic hockey trade. I'm not saying something like Lovejoy was bad, but he was already about 32 years old when he was brought in. He was clearly just brought in to be a veteran stop gap. I'm not counting him, just the young-ish guys he brought in. I mean, don't get me wrong, we got a couple good years out of Will Butcher for sure, but Fitz has mostly hit on his D acquistions, while most of Shero's were just meh. Fitz's Mueller (Siegenthaler) has been infinitely better than we ever imagine Mueller being.

I do think Shero sometimes came off as an arrogant prick sometimes professionally. One such instance was when he got on a podcast after the Taylor Hall MVP year and talked about what he said to him the horrible season the team had the year before. And about how he had Malkin and Crosby in Pittsburgh and how ''These guys are better than you are'' which was not made a big deal of at the time, but I thought it was almost like a low blow and not even needed to be said, like we don't already know that. There were other times where he went a little Torts-lite on the media and used a lot of expletives and just came off like a jerk. Especially the ''I don't care if he f***ing plays in Brampton!'' comment, as funny as we thought it was. Then again, I really would have needed to hear him make the comment to know what kind of a tone he said it in. Maybe he was just being goofy. He also made a lot of backhanded comments towards Lou, without saying Lou's name personally. Not that what he said was untrue in any way, I just thought it was in poor taste. But there were A LOT of ''No more of these band aids and signing these old players. That's not working anymore and that hasn't worked. This is not how you build'' like that in the first couple of years after Lou. They were no doubt true, but I just thought they were low blows at Lou and unneeded. At least as many times as he made them.

Anyway, none of this has anything to do with him as a GM. He just kind of came off snarky as a person sometimes. Whereas Fitz is much more grounded.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad