GDT: Devils @ Rangers - 7pm, MSGSN & NHLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think Shero's edict of fast , attacking, supportive (or whatever it was) was taken to an extreme. We valued speed over all else. It worked with the forwards, but getting guys like John Moore, who was fast but horrible in all other aspects, was pretty horrific. He also didn't seem to value shutdown defenders.

Fitz, being a former defenseman, seems to evaluate defenders soooo much better and actually value defensive ability. He's very good at acknowledging holes in the lineup and does what he can to fill them. It just took a few years for the proper hole fillers to become available for him to snatch up.

i still think we can get better in goal (yeah I know VV has been tearing it up). He had some tremendously bad luck trying to fill the position, and I still think we have room for improvement there.

As for Shero, I don't blame him entirely either. We really didn't have much in the pipeline and he did what he could to get more talent onto the team. It's just that it was a mish mash of talent that couldn't gel. Fitz was handed a team where he could take the talent use it to actually make a team, not just a group of hockey players.
Fitz wasn’t a defenseman…but I agree with most of that. Maybe as Shero’s right hand he at least learned from all the oversights (coaching, goaltending, defense) in rebuild 1.0

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
Just wanna say how awesome it was to see and hear our fans last night. Damm wish i was there. We've had good showings of Devils fans before at MSG I was there for many of them but, that was during the dark ages for the Rags. Not the Rags coming off a 52 win season. We'll never outnumber them but, we can sure be seen and heard loud and proud! I think it was f***ed up to taunt Shitstreakin but, I loved it anyway.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Just wanna say how awesome it was to see and hear our fans last night. Damm wish i was there. We've had good showings of Devils fans before at MSG I was there for many of them but, that was during the dark ages for the Rags. Not the Rags coming off a 52 win season. We'll never outnumber them but, we can sure be seen and heard loud and proud! I think it was f***ed up to taunt Shitstreakin but, I loved it anyway.
There is a noticeable difference between their corporate crowd and the rabid lunatics that fill our building this year. They took it over the line once, but I love it other than that.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Fitz wasn’t a defenseman…but I agree with most of that. Maybe as Shero’s right hand he at least learned from all the oversights (coaching, goaltending, defense) in rebuild 1.0
Fitz had the advantage of already having Hughes, Hischier, etc. Easy to focus on the D when you already have 2 1C's and star winger.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Even Sal mentioned NEVER hearing a Let's Go Devils chant in MSG like that.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
They're a win now team with very little help on the way, so okay is a disaster and cap flexibility is limited, even with a much higher cap. These are the guys who they will ride and die with - and beyond Panarin, how many of them are going to keep putting up 70+ seasons in year 3 or 4?

Looking at the division, WAS and PIT are entering the death spiral. PHI and CBJ are 4+ years away from being serious, even with Bedard. NYI is a team fully in the prime of its window right now - they have to get it done in the next season or two, riding Sorokin. Carolina is also fully in its prime window as well.

Very favorable decade ahead for NJ, if you ask me.

Carolina feels like it is building towards something special, but I think the Devils' rapid success should give you a bit of pause here declaring the Rangers window closing - sometimes it can come together real quick.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I'm trying to think of some sort of trade for the Rangers. Having Fox and Shesterkin in their primes... you might need to start gunning for it.

Lets say you bite the bullet on Lafreniere. He's RFA, still got that first overall shine and can fetch something. But what do you get back, that you can fit under your cap? Can they get a Patrick Kane with salary retained? They have 2 firsts this year. Does adding Henrique, at a lower cost, make sense? I doubt CBJ moves Boone Jenner.

Idk - just thinking outloud. I think they're better than their current record. I don't think they're as good as last year's playoff run. I just... if you have a core with Fox, Shesterkin... plus any 2 of the top 3 forwards... I mean, they have to be better than this - no?
anderson from montreal :naughty:

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Bojanglez

ijuka

May 14, 2016
rongo-png.614202

Hilarious. I *really* want to understand what went into this model.
Where's that from, anyway? The best predictors for who will win the game are stats like flurryscorevenueadjusted xgoals% and flurryadjustedtotalshotcredit% and devils are pretty clearly better at both.

Even if some other stats were to compensate, there's no way you can arrive at 27.9% for the devils unless the model's completely hopeless.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Carolina feels like it is building towards something special, but I think the Devils' rapid success should give you a bit of pause here declaring the Rangers window closing - sometimes it can come together real quick.
I am just getting a kick out of how the tone has changed here. Last year posters were saying how they wish the Devils were like the Rangers and did a fast "rebuild". All of a sudden everyone likes the slow, build through the draft approach.

Reactions: Rhodes 81

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Where's that from, anyway? The best predictors for who will win the game are stats like flurryscorevenueadjusted xgoals% and flurryadjustedtotalshotcredit% and devils are pretty clearly better at both.

Even if some other stats were to compensate, there's no way you can arrive at 27.9% for the devils unless the model's completely hopeless.
A billion powerplays to the rags will do that

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
They actually have a surprising amount of flexibility next season considering all the expensive contracts.

Fox and Shesterkin are signed to bargain contracts. Lindgren’s contract is also a good deal. Reaves gone, Blais likely gone. Schneider still on his ELC. Miller will probably be a cheap bridge. They have like $3.5 million in dead cap coming off too.

Having two of the best players in the NHL signed for a combined $15 million makes up for a lot of dumb shit, but if not for the dumb shit they might be competing for a cup.
rangers = dump shit

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Wait a second...so you are going to tell me with a straight face that you "expected" this?

I'm gonna call BS on that
Expected us to be on a 135 point pace and in contention for the President's trophy? Certainly not. To be a playoff team? Absolutely. I thought we were going to be a 94-98 point team that could make it into a wildcard spot.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Fair point.

Ultimately, I look at everything through the lens of winning the cup. Even what Boston has done post-'11 is not "success" to me, as admirable as it may be to some. I have a difficult time seeing a scenario where you can have 30-40% of your cap underperform (predictably along aging curves) at the same time as you're hoping for a breakout from two players with some encouraging trends but nothing that suggests they are on their way to becoming 70-80 pt players. You add Bedard or a similar talent to that group, maybe with some luck?

Past a certain point, Chicago, Tampa Bay and Colorado were inevitable. Arguably LA as well. You're well aware of how those teams were built. I'm not sure - given the time they have - NYR can get to that appropriate mix of cap savings in key areas, top end talent in their prime, young hungry depth and a great sense of what one's team actually needs. Ownership just being the first hurdle.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
I thought K'Andre Miller was supposed to compete for the Norris trophy this year (per Rangers Twitter). What happened to this guy?

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

Haven't heard Devils fans that loud there since the game 4 sweep at MSG in 06, I was there for that one and it was a wild time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad