GDT: Devils @ Rangers - 7 P.M. - MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I believe Nemec will be on the NHL roster at least at the start for bonus reasons related to his cap hit. Unless for some reason that doesn’t matter this year.

I would think there’s a solid chance with a good camp he at least plays a game of the three game homestand to start the year.

Last edited:

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
For Nemec, It looked a little choppy/slow yesterday when he took that penalty against (Kreider? or whomever).

I don't know if that is his usual stride but he looked like he was skating in slush and weighed down.. From the optics of it to me, i could assume he was even slightly nursing some injury by the way it looked.

(not saying that is the case, but that is how it appeared, choppy).

If that is his top end stride\speed, I'd be slightly worried - haha.

Probably need to watch a few more games, probably just an oddball catch in the moment and it's not normally like that.
Ummm it’s because he had Kreider against his back and his arm kind of twisted back with his stick caught between him and Kreider. I mean come on. I know it’s not in bad faith but judging his skating off a play where he’s got a big man all over him and is in an awkward position to the point where he lost is stick is pretty silly.

The fact that he was able to stay ahead of Kreider was good and the penalty they called was super weak

Last edited:
Reactions: Guttersniped

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Nah, it wasn't that play. I just didn't see quickness or top end speed one would expect from a player of his qualities. He seems very clunky skating.
Saying he doesn’t have a high top end speed is fair. But calling his skating clunky is comical. He’s very smooth and efficient.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
When I watch Nemec skate it looks to me to be proportional with his mental effort. When he is decisive he moves decisively. When he is processing he lags a bit. I have yet to see him dig in and really push himself in terms of skating. I'm sure it's in there. I don't doubt that last night's game was a step up from the practice scrimmage and even a step up from Utica games given the must win approach the Rangers took.
I agree with this for the most part. I think he’s a very poised and efficient player but he needs to learn to find another gear more often. Too often he seems like he’s floating around, he’s not being aggressive or he doesn’t have enough urgency. It gets him in trouble sometimes. Tends to be when he makes mistakes or doesn’t look good.

He’s still mostly good without but when he plays with full intensity and fully involved he looks amazing. No player can play like that all the time but he could definitely afford to get closer to it.

The one thing I do wonder about sometimes is his physical conditioning but then I’ll watch him float around in the dzone for a while and then all of the sudden be able take off to join the attack once we get the puck. Makes me wonder if it’s more of just a mental thing where he’s being conservative and not super involved in certain areas of the game. Needs to bear down and be more focused I think.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I agree with this for the most part. I think he’s a very poised and efficient player but he needs to learn to find another gear more often. Too often he seems like he’s floating around, he’s not being aggressive or he doesn’t have enough urgency. It gets him in trouble sometimes. Tends to be when he makes mistakes or doesn’t look good.

He’s still mostly good without but when he plays with full intensity and fully involved he looks amazing. No player can play like that all the time but he could definitely afford to get closer to it.

The one thing I do wonder about sometimes is his physical conditioning but then I’ll watch him float around in the dzone for a while and then all of the sudden be able take off to join the attack once we get the puck. Makes me wonder if it’s more of just a mental thing where he’s being conservative and not super involved in certain areas of the game. Needs to bear down and be more focused I think.
Part of it is also his style. He’s very poised and calm. I agree though that he’ll most likely see he’s more effective when he’s playing with more urgency, but I don’t say that in a bad way, he’s just a very cerebral guy who’s poised and he’s as cold as ice out there.

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Nobody is bashing Nemec, saying he needs to improve his skating is fully reasonable just like Luke needs to get stronger. I love Nemec and most of the skills he possess. To say he is a great skater is simply false though. To each their own.

Reactions: My3Sons

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Had a super late night last night so I'm just getting to the thread. Biggest winner last night without even playing was Alex Holtz, Clarke looked miserable and will probably start in Utica. Wouldn't be surprised if he's the first injury call up though. Schmid is Schmid and owns the biggest real estate in that team's head, really weird that the Rags best players were their scrubs and not their good players in that game but it could be chalked up to preseason and those guys not really playing with any fire.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If you have an ESPN+ account it should still be up there.
I just now realized that I have access to a boat load of games with espn+...I seriously didn't know until last night and I've had ESPN+ for a while.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Sadly I don’t think I’ve seen any archery contests.
I love archery, I was raised with it and it's something I've been doing since I was 4 years old....that said there is nothing more boring to watch than archery tournament. Unless it's a shoot off that comes down to a single arrow elimination archery is like watching paint dry.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Nemec is a perfectly good skater. It just seems mediocre next to Luke.

Nemec’s acceleration is borderline elite and he has good edge work, people are being weird about this.

I will say I’m going more on what I saw last year, particularly live.

He might have bulked up too much, that can happen with younger players but IDK.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Had a super late night last night so I'm just getting to the thread. Biggest winner last night without even playing was Alex Holtz, Clarke looked miserable and will probably start in Utica. Wouldn't be surprised if he's the first injury call up though. Schmid is Schmid and owns the biggest real estate in that team's head, really weird that the Rags best players were their scrubs and not their good players in that game but it could be chalked up to preseason and those guys not really playing with any fire.

The Kakko-Brodzinski-Cuylle line bent the McLeod line over all game, luckily Kakko can’t put the puck in the net. (And Brodzinski was firing the weapon from everywhere lol.)

1F630C39-E71C-43C0-B81C-B522F0FA10A6.png

8CDD23C9-31EF-41F7-90AD-0E9D6ECEDED7.png

E23C514C-CC2F-47EE-BD95-F471F3AD14D5.png

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I love archery, I was raised with it and it's something I've been doing since I was 4 years old....that said there is nothing more boring to watch than archery tournament. Unless it's a shoot off that comes down to a single arrow elimination archery is like watching paint dry.

A high school track meet is about five hours. Your kid’s participation may be two minutes. And it may be at the end of the meet.

Reactions: JimEIV

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
A high school track meet is about five hours. Your kid’s participation may be two minutes. And it may be at the end of the meet.

'thats what booze is for'

(sung to the tune of "thats what friends are for")

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I thought Luke was a beauty running the PP. if he can stabilize the second unit that would be nice. It’ll have some weapons with Palat, Toffoli, and Mercer.

Depending on that top unit, I might yank Bratt off the PP1 and give him even more on that second unit. You could easily get away with it too if you stick Toffoli or Meier on the opposite half boards with Jack on PP1. You wouldn't want Bratt in the bumper or net front obviously.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I like the kid. I just believe another year in the minors would help with his defensive game. Plus he could add a bit more muscle.
See I think Nemec is plenty strong even at 19. I feel in the defensive zone he found himself on the wrong side of the leverage to end plays.

His defending against the rush is already there IMO, he has always had great gap and excellent stick 1 on 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad