Prospect Info: Devils Prospect Poll 2013- #5

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I guess I was the only one who didn't walk away all that impressed with Matteau last year. Obviously there's room for growth but is he really more valuable than a guy like Wedgewood?

Saw some flashes of skill. Nice size, decent speed. I like Wedge but I think he's a victim of the Schneider trade in people's minds. Much easier to vote for him as a top prospect when he's Marty's heir... now, he just looks like a guy who might get to be backup someday.

Edit: and btw - Clermont seems to have completely dropped off of the earth. I thought folks were pretty high on him, maybe not neck-and-neck with Wedge, but geez...

JerryGigantic

Old Skool
Jul 17, 2006
New York
I have to say, I'm shocked by the Santini votes.

I just think our top defensive prospects are better than our top prospects at any other position, maybe 6-7 of our top ten overall.

All conjecture, based on small amounts of actual intel. So not sure "shock" is necessary, as this is all guesswork.

But I like the idea of a pure shutdown guy standing out so much so young.

ghoti

Grind Time
Sep 18, 2005
Edit: and btw - Clermont seems to have completely dropped off of the earth. I thought folks were pretty high on him, maybe not neck-and-neck with Wedge, but geez...

I think he's ranked OK so far. I wouldn't have him over anyone in the poll except maybe Black or Bell. He should probably be added in the next three with Helgeson and Gavrus.

brule2000

Jan 9, 2006
I voted Santini. Can't be right that no one has voted for Black and Scarlett yet considering the team colours. =>

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
More on Santini
http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2013/07/31/2013-u-s-wjc-camp-preview-defensemen-and-goalies/

Steven Santini (Boston College) — After the performance Santini had at last year’s U18 World Championship, I think he’d be an extremely hard guy to cut. He received the directorate award as the tournament’s best defenseman without registering a single point. He was a minutes-eating, quick, physical shut-down defender who dominated opposing team’s top lines, with opponents scoring only twice total in the tournament with Santini on the ice. After two years at the NTDP, Santini’s defensive game has grown to a near-elite level. The only guy I’ve seen dominate in a defensive role at the U18s like he did was Seth Jones the year prior. Not trying to compare, but that’s how good Santini was at the U18 Worlds. There is pretty much no offense to speak of in Santini’s game, but he has proven what he does defensively is really valuable. He’ll have some tough competition, but if Santini plays up to his ability, he’s going to be a really strong candidate to make the club. New Jersey Devils (2013, 2nd Rd., 42nd overall)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad