Prospect Info: Devils Prospect Poll 2013- #5

RogueStatus

Devils-Redhawks
Oct 15, 2008
The first few days always end up being landslides so after about the top 5 I will make the polls 2 days long.

New Jersey Devils Prospect Rankings
1. Jon Merrill, D (NCAA) University of Michigan, Drafted 38th overall 2010 (72.41%)
2. Reid Boucher, F (OHL) Sarnia Sting, Drafted 99th overall 2011 (37.08%)
3. Damon Severson, D (WHL) Kelowna Rockets, Drafted 60th overall 2012 (75.51%)
4. Eric Gelinas, D (AHL) Albany Devils, Drafted 54th overall 2009 (73.17%)
Eric+Gelinas+Pittsburgh+Penguins+v+New+Jersey+cqfXuM68AUll.jpg

Place your vote and make sure to nominate the next prospect to be added. I will start with the top 10 prospects IMO in the poll.

Here is the list of the organization's prospects that fit HF's criteria.
Riley Boychuk
Anthony Brodeur
Brandon Burlon
Maxime Clermont
Blake Coleman
Artur Gavrus
Curtis Gedig
Seth Helgeson
Mike Hoeffel
Ben Johnson
Dan Kelly
Alexander Kerfoot
Derek Rodwell
Mike Sislo
Ben Thomson
David Wohlberg
Miles Wood
Harry Young

Nominations- Helgeson

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Toss up between Santini and Matteau. Went with Matteau.

I know I said add Helgeson last time, but I changed my mind. Add Clermont instead.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Alright, I need ask...I see 3 votes for Santini? Why?

From just a dman perspective, why above Urbom , Burlon or Helgeson? Why so high on him?

I haven't seen him play.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey

From just a dman perspective, why above Urbom , Burlon or Helgeson? Why so high on him?

I haven't seen him play?

Scouts have been giving him huge praise.

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 18 Jun
2013 eligible Steve Santini won best dman at the U18 Championship. Last 5 winners: M Dumba, R Murphy, A Larsson, C Fowler, E Karlsson.

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 30 Jun
NJD selects Santini. Was simply fantastic towards the end of the season. Displayed high-end shutdown ability. Skates well, physical, good HS

Kid is a very good skater for a shutdown defensemen. Has his head on straight, its very easy to tell why Lou took him. He answers questions flawlessly, exactly what you would want to hear. He definetely killed the interview part, if he responsed like he did with interviews during the Prospect camp

http://hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1530
28. Steven Santini, Defense, USA Under-18 (USHL)

Santini is a defenseman possessing several professional-level qualities. He is not a player who will wow you with a high level of skill, but he does have some impressive attributes. He is a good, if not a high-end skater, with good four-way bursts and nice technique on his pivots and footwork. His top speed helps him when joining the rush. Santini is strong for his age, and he displays physical qualities in muscling forwards off of the puck or delivering solid body checks. He defends very well, be it closing gaps, making stops with his body or stick, or positioning himself effectively. Santini's area of dispute lies in his offensive upside. He shows good abilities on the power play, but scouts have given me divided opinions on his puck moving, ranging anywhere from it being one of his best qualities to being just average. I tend to lean toward the latter, despite the occasional flashes of puck rushing Santini shows. One source praised his shot, although I am not as convinced that it is a strength. He is committed to attend Boston College in the fall.

He is a fairly prospect. Very low bust potential. Basically he would become the new type of NHL Defensive Defensman. Alot of people around twitter and the prospect board saying he is better then the Flyers 11th overall pick (Morin)

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

2013 eligible Steve Santini won best dman at the U18 Championship. Last 5 winners: M Dumba, R Murphy, A Larsson, C Fowler, E Karlsson.

NJD selects Santini. Was simply fantastic towards the end of the season. Displayed high-end shutdown ability. Skates well, physical, good HS

Kid is a very good skater for a shutdown defensemen. Has his head on straight, its very easy to tell why Lou took him. He answers questions flawlessly, exactly what you would want to hear. He definetely killed the interview part, if he responsed like he did with interviews during the Prospect camp

He is a fairly prospect. Very low bust potential. Basically he would become the new type of NHL Defensive Defensman. Alot of people around twitter and the prospect board saying he is better then the Flyers 11th overall pick (Morin)

Thanks.

apice3*

I haven't seen him play.

I never hear anyone ever talk about Helgeson, very rarely hear about Burlon, and Urbom is starting to get lost in the shuffle.

TaiMaiShu

Aug 12, 2005

Much appreciated. Had no idea about the U18 winners. Still went with Matteau though.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I went off the board for fun with Blake Pietila, he was so impressive at the WJC I really think he is a sure fire good 3rd liner who plays devastating minutes. I see Ryan Callahan over and over with him.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I guess I was the only one who didn't walk away all that impressed with Matteau last year. Obviously there's room for growth but is he really more valuable than a guy like Wedgewood?

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00