Prospect Info: Devils Prospect Poll 2013- #3

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
If Boucher was a top 20 pick, he would be considered our consensus top prospect. The main thing holding him back is that he was a 4th round pick and people factor that in. If you think he only has a good wrist shot, you probably haven't seen too many Sarnia games this year.

It has nothing to do where he was picked.

He's had one exceptional year under exceptional circumstances (on the best line of the best team as an overager in a boy's league). He's raw as hell and still has a LOT to prove. Let's see how he does playing in a professional men's league before we anoint him as anything other than a tricky shooter.

I'm thrilled about what he did last year, and he's certainly looking like a gem, but you need to keep perspective here. Some people are acting like he's a lock for 30 goals in the NHL, which is ridiculous to suggest at this point. He'll probably get a call-up at some point this year but he's got a long way to go before he's anywhere close to being an NHL regular.

A guy like Severson on the other hand has an equally impressive pedigree, but a longer track record and is much more mature in his development.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Can we lock this one up an go to the next one? It's over Johnny.

apice3*

If Boucher was a top 20 pick, he would be considered our consensus top prospect. The main thing holding him back is that he was a 4th round pick and people factor that in. If you think he only has a good wrist shot, you probably haven't seen too many Sarnia games this year.

What the **** does that even mean?

If he was a top 20 pick? Maybe if he had more than a wrist shot, he would have been a top 20 pick. But he doesn't so he wasn't. And draft status is totally irrelevant.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
What the **** does that even mean?

If he was a top 20 pick? Maybe if he had more than a wrist shot, he would have been a top 20 pick. But he doesn't so he wasn't. And draft status is totally irrelevant.

Well he could have easily improved the other facets of his game since being drafted

apice3*

Well he could have easily improved the other facets of his game since being drafted

I understand that, which is why I said draft status is irrelevant. That's not what was said though. What was said was that Boucher would be our top prospect if he was a top-20 pick. To which I said, if Boucher had more than a wrist shot, he would have been, and then he would be our top prospect. But he doesn't, so he wasn't, so he isn't.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
I understand that, which is why I said draft status is irrelevant. That's not what was said though. What was said was that Boucher would be our top prospect if he was a top-20 pick. To which I said, if Boucher had more than a wrist shot, he would have been, and then he would be our top prospect. But he doesn't, so he wasn't, so he isn't.

So he still doesn't have anything more than a wrist shot, is that what you're saying?

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
theres no way in hell you score that many goals with just a good wrist shot, especially after Galchenyuk leaves

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Did you see the names and ages of the top scores in the OHL this season? I wouldn't be surprised if none of them had NHL careers....just saying.

and #4 time.

apice3*

So he still doesn't have anything more than a wrist shot, is that what you're saying?

At this point, yes. Can easily change, but I really don't understand how he's our second best prospect. Merrill, Severson, Matteau, and Santini are all clear cut better prospects. And you can make a case for Gelinas too. All 5 of those guys are safer bets to be NHLers, some of them also have higher upside.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
At this point, yes. Can easily change, but I really don't understand how he's our second best prospect. Merrill, Severson, Matteau, and Santini are all clear cut better prospects. And you can make a case for Gelinas too. All 5 of those guys are safer bets to be NHLers, some of them also have higher upside.

Hey man I hear ya. I have not watched him play, so I was just wondering how the rest of his game was coming along. I don't consider him a top 5 prospect either based on people's opinions here of his pedigree.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

Clear cut better prospects? Santini? This is incomprehensible. Exactly how many Sarnia games did you watch this year?

apice3*

Clear cut better prospects? Santini? This is incomprehensible. Exactly how many Sarnia games did you watch this year?

Considering you live in the USA, probably the same amount as you. 0.

But I've seen enough highlights and read enough reports. Scouts all over the internet talk about his subpar defense and passing. He's good without the puck but the only NHL quality attribute he has is his wrist shot.

And I've seen 0 games by Santini as well, but again, I've read the reports. He won a tournament MVP without registering a point and has been compared to Rod Langway. He's also as close to a lock to be a roster player as a 2nd rounder can be. That alone gives him more a better prospect status that Boucher. Especially when you look at some of the guys that have put up insane goal totals in the OHL.

NHL Fanatik*

Can someone tell me who Raman Hrabarenka is?

He is on our payroll? Prospect? I'm so confused.

Oh, and what is so good about Severson? I thought Gelinas was one of our top 2. ??

I'm so lost on prospects and everything. Sorry for all the confusion.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I've seen Boucher a few times and it still blows my mind he is #2 in our little list. Especially with how Gelinas played in his solo NHL game last year. Last season was impressive for Boucher though.

Haven't seen Santini outside of international play either though, so i'll stay out of that one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad