Post-Game Talk: Devils only have one line; lose 3-2 (Poll)

Your 3 "Goats" of this game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
id put tatar with nico and bastian, at least tatar tries to get the puck to the net and makes things happen. zacha is just kind of there. kills me that he has all the tools, a 6'3 body, speed and an above average shot and he doesn't use any of them effectively

I’d be good with that too. I like Tatar but he’s in one of his valleys he hits in any given season right now. Playing him with guys who have better chances of winning battles in Nico and Bastian may benefit him in getting more open looks.

Bastian hit the 20 minute mark last night, wow lol. Only forwards who eclipsed him were Nico and Jack.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I don’t think Nico was very good last night, independent of his line mates.

This team seems to love going 1-on-3 on the zone entry and it’s silly.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I don’t think Nico was very good last night, independent of his line mates.

This team seems to love going 1-on-3 on the zone entry and it’s silly.
Nico had a bad game. It happens but he did.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Nico had a bad game. It happens but he did.

For sure, but I thought the talk about getting him better line-mates was partially glossing over a weak game from him. And it would not surprise me if he and a bunch of guys (Zacha?) are playing through stuff because the alternative is Utica vs. The Monstars.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Hughes was the most noticeable and dynamic player on the ice last night for both teams. It was notable, watching the Tampa feed, how he's become a star draw, the guy the other crowd wants to see, the guy everyone talks about. They don't call it the "show" for nothing. He's the draw, a person who is and will be selling tickets and for whom people tune in to see.

From that point of view, the shot of Ruff coaching him up in the 3d was instructive. I mean Ruff drawing something up and leaning over him between shifts on the bench. It's that Ruff's main job here with an eye to the future has always been to develop Hughes. And he's doing a splendid job of it.

Also, where Bratt took out Hedman at the end of the game, behind the play, and Hedman was so livid . . . could that have been payback for Hedman's attempt to nail Jack along the boards earlier, where Jack barely squeezed through and evaded. Am I imagining that?

One other note: amazing game by Sergachev for Tampa. He single handedly foiled us half a dozen times.

No sympathy for Hedman. With any luck he will develop an allergy to his equipment and retire next week.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
For sure, but I thought the talk about getting him better line-mates was partially glossing over a weak game from him. And it would not surprise me if he and a bunch of guys (Zacha?) are playing through stuff because the alternative is Utica vs. The Monstars.

He looks to be lumbering from that hit by Benn to his back. He was stiff and lost his balance last night a couple of times without much provocation. He isn't skilled enough to play well at 80%. He will give you a solid game in terms of positioning and effort and maybe face-offs but the offense isn't there. Once he gets past it he will look better. I think that he and Mercer should play together to try to provide some second line to Bratt and Hughes. I'm not sure why it's so important to play Mercer as the 3C when he's also being saddled with anchors and it's hindering him?

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
He looks to be lumbering from that hit by Benn to his back. He was stiff and lost his balance last night a couple of times without much provocation. He isn't skilled enough to play well at 80%. He will give you a solid game in terms of positioning and effort and maybe face-offs but the offense isn't there. Once he gets past it he will look better. I think that he and Mercer should play together to try to provide some second line to Bratt and Hughes. I'm not sure why it's so important to play Mercer as the 3C when he's also being saddled with anchors and it's hindering him?

I agree, I'd much rather have Nico-Mercer potentially feast and score a bit more and worry about the bottom six getting caved in with Zacha as 3C, then get middling results from both lines. I'm open to reasons why that wouldn't be a good option but I'd say it's time to experiment and see what else can be built on for next year.

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
i’d rather watch the team lose with bratt and hughes bringing exciting moments together every game than to watch the team lose and have no lines bringing anything but that’s just me

We already know what line Bratt is on will work because he’s the only guy that’s been able to get Andreas Johnsson out of witness protection in two years, and Mercer also had a huge spike with Bratt compared to since, though some of that could be a rookie wall. Eventually it would be nice to see Jack have the same impact on a non-Bratt line.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Don't you think that'd be "hanging up Jack to dry" now haha? I know Jack can carry a line, but I haven't been impressed with Rango recently, especially considering that he's played a lot with Bratt/Hughes and hasn't produced that much. I'd kind of like to see Mercer on jack's wing if we want to split the "dynamic duo". Do something like this:

Zacha-Nico-Bratt
Bastian-Hughes-Mercer
Mango-Rango-Tatar
Vesey-McLeod/Boqvist-Kuok

or

Bastian-Nico-Bratt
Zacha-Hughes-Mercer

with the same bottom 6.

the invisiline

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I am not defending Zacha's last two months....But how the hell is one of these "dead weight" and the others not?

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Because 8-16-24 is way more consistent and brings a ton to the table aside from streaky points in non-5v5 situations? Nevermind the fact that he's outscoring Zacha with less games played.
That is a former #1OA, 7.25 Million dollar, captain that averages 19 minutes a game.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Zacha is up for contract this year. What are the pros in keeping him for multiple years from now? Because he was picked 6th overall and he's only about to turn 25 now?

I say dump him after this year and use the money he would have gotten and put it towards somebody better. I realize ''That somebody better'' will cost more per year than him, but put what he's gonna make towards that.

The hope should be that Holtz can replace his production next year and do it for at least less than a third of what he would have cost for next year. So basically you replace him for more than $2 million cheaper and then upgrade towards what would have been part of his salary.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Zacha is up for contract this year. What are the pros in keeping him for multiple years from now? Because he was picked 6th overall and he's only about to turn 25 now?

I say dump him after this year and use the money he would have gotten and put it towards somebody better. I realize ''That somebody better'' will cost more per year than him, but put what he's gonna make towards that.

The hope should be that Holtz can replace his production next year and do it for at least less than a third of what he would have cost for next year. So basically you replace him for more than $2 million cheaper and then upgrade towards what would have been part of his salary.
I have a sneaking suspicion that his play fell off the cliff because of preliminary in season contract talks...No proof at all...Just and a very strong hunch.

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
Because 8-16-24 is way more consistent and brings a ton to the table aside from streaky points in non-5v5 situations? Nevermind the fact that he's outscoring Zacha with less games played.

Defense only matters when you are a PPG player or better, when you are not a PPG or better player then all that matters is points.

Clear?

Reactions: My3Sons

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021

If there's even a remote possibility to get a 2nd round pick or an average defensive dman who can play the right side, to eventually replace PK, I'd pull the trigger ASAP. There's just no way that someone out there is sniffing enough bath salts to give us a 1st round pick or a bluechip prospect for Zacha.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I have a sneaking suspicion that his play fell off the cliff because of preliminary in season contract talks...No proof at all...Just and a very strong hunch.
I never really wanted him long term at a salary of more than $3 million. He's not at all a core piece.

He's kind of like Adam Henrique to me, only I don't think he's as good as Adam Henrique and certainly not as good as Adam Henrique at the same age. I don't think Henrique was a great player and I remember arguing for the same reasons back in 2016 and 2017 that we should trade him because we don't need his next contract on the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad