GDT: Devils @ Oilers - 9:00 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago

That sounds more like a knee injury than a groin injury.

When it happened I thought it looked like a hamstring pop with the angle his leg was at in the slide when you started seeing him react to pain. If he's in a brace for that it could be an ACL or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: glenwo2

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Edmonton was easily the fastest team we’ve played to this point, on top or just being the best team.

We have played all of the Sharks, Capitals and Islanders, who are all among some of the oldest and slowest teams, so maybe Edmonton looks faster than they really are, but I think it’s safe to say they’re top-5 fastest in the league at worst. Maybe some of that is heavily McDavid skewed.

pkbrux

Jul 19, 2006
NJ
Man, I’m still feeling great from the win. This is the type of win that will move us forward. Last year’s team loses this game and probably lets it go to 4/5-1.

In previous years, Graves' terrible turnover with 8 seconds left in the second period ends up as a goal 100% of the time.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
The end of the game last night snuck up on me, to be honest. I didn't realize how little time was left when Bratt scored the go-ahead goal. And then I was so caught up in the fast moving thread of celebratory posts that the next minute of game time was a blur.

It only registered when Spaulding mentioned that Edmonton pulled the goalie and there was 100 seconds to play. Then I was looking for the Wood ENG to complete the hat trick.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
When it happened I thought it looked like a hamstring pop with the angle is leg was at in the slide when you started seeiong him react to pain. If he's in a brace for that it could be an ACL or something.
Yeah, hamstring was the other thing that I suspected when I saw it because of the way his foot was turned up right as he got hurt. Groin or hamstring would have depended on whether he got hurt before or after his foot turned up, but the brace definitely makes me think he probably hyperextended his knee.

That could potentially be good news for him actually because you wouldn't react the way he did to a groin or a hamstring strain unless it was really bad.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
i am with you on this one.

so far i considered @Guttersniped a class act. but now i would describe the situation as dynamic.

I’m used to not being understood.

DA517857-E75E-4DC5-9F88-BBDDE01321B0.gif

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Genuinely do feel bad for Blackwood but now you have to let Vanacek take over and either make a trade or get Daws up here as a backup until Bernier is ready to go(I still don’t think he’s going to be game ready for awhile)

Mack showed flashes early in his career but the guy just can’t stay healthy, if he’s out for awhile I don’t think we’ll see him in a Devils sweater again.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
After letting that game marinate for a bit, the thing that stands out to me was how even though we got caved for most of the 2nd period, we were competitive for the game as a total against a really good team. There's no questions like with the Avs missing some of their guys and still gelling, Edmonton is a good team and will be a good team all year. Yeah they rely on like 4 or 5 players to do that, but you know they're going to be a contender.

We played an even 1st period, controlled the start of the 2nd, had a rough stretch and clearly just wanted to get out of the period, but then we came back and played our game hard to end. We got some breaks to win this particular game, for sure. But you can walk away from that and convince yourself we can beat that team 50% of the time, and if that's the case then we're going to be favored in a lot of games the rest of the way.

I like to keep a level head about these things, but just like it was easy to be depressed after games 1 and 2, it's hard not to view this win as a major "we've arrived" statement.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Hopefully since he wasn't to be under contract from us this year anyway, the post-Schneider hex that was passed down from him is finally broken effective this year.
I hope they tried everything for that.

1C1F335D-3A67-46E9-9BC0-F9B1BFB1B987.jpeg

If anything the random Kermit photo made realize our humor is pretty aligned. Hell, I’ve sent that picture to 5 friends already with absolutely no context. :laugh:

It wasn’t completely random! The, uh, subject matter was humorously brought up before the game and I posted the photo then. It’s therefore a lucky photo and a callback!

It makes sense of you think about it. Pretty sure.

Last edited:

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
After letting that game marinate for a bit, the thing that stands out to me was how even though we got caved for most of the 2nd period, we were competitive for the game as a total against a really good team. There's no questions like with the Avs missing some of their guys and still gelling, Edmonton is a good team and will be a good team all year. Yeah they rely on like 4 or 5 players to do that, but you know they're going to be a contender.

We played an even 1st period, controlled the start of the 2nd, had a rough stretch and clearly just wanted to get out of the period, but then we came back and played our game hard to end. We got some breaks to win this particular game, for sure. But you can walk away from that and convince yourself we can beat that team 50% of the time, and if that's the case then we're going to be favored in a lot of games the rest of the way.

I like to keep a level head about these things, but just like it was easy to be depressed after games 1 and 2, it's hard not to view this win as a major "we've arrived" statement.

Last year’s team just falls apart in that second period, this group has really started to believe in themselves early on here, also helps when your goalie can make big time saves. Even if we didn’t come back to win they still showed tons of fight in that 3rd period and they got rewarded for it. As Smith said after one of the wins last week, can’t get a big head over it, just worry about the next game and so on. I wonder if Ruff goes back to the lines he had to start the game or keeps the ones he had at the end.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Any word on Blackwood's status? I guess because the team is out west they haven't had practice because it's not noon local time yet.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Last year’s team just falls apart in that second period, this group has really started to believe in themselves early on here, also helps when your goalie can make big time saves. Even if we didn’t come back to win they still showed tons of fight in that 3rd period and they got rewarded for it. As Smith said after one of the wins last week, can’t get a big head over it, just worry about the next game and so on. I wonder if Ruff goes back to the lines he had to start the game or keeps the ones he had at the end.
I hope he goes back to the lines that worked previously. A big part of each game is matchups and the oilers are fast and big up front. Give the guys another shot back together despite it working with the changes later in the game.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
What were the lines in the 3rd?

Bratt-Nico-Zetterlund
Mercer-Hughes-Yegor?

Really kicked something with that change, hope the Bratt-Nico bromance line will stay together for a few games as I think they compliment each other better than Hughes and Bratt, who play a very similar style.
They are both beautiful to watch individually but it didn't unlock Hughes so far. Think he could do with a more physical winger.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Yup fastest game of the year for sure.....Our team is fast but trading rushes with EDM is not a game anyone really wants to play. Lol. Good game overall. Im sure you guys/team will recover next game.
Couple soft ones by Skinner but Devils fired lots of rubber. I fell asleep for 20 minutes going into 3rd when 3-1. Woke up 3-2. Skinner let in softie and when Bratt picked up puck after center ice draw, I immediately said OH no!. He has McDavid wheels.
Colin White is from my hometown. Great Devil

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

The veterans have done a fantastic job in not helping this team on the ice but I'm 100% sure of it in the locker room. All the guys came from elite playoff teams. Marino came from Pittsburgh, Erik Haula has a ton of playoff experience from his years in the league, went to the Cup in Vegas's first year. I don't even have to bring up Palat's resume. Also, Vanecek with Washington recently. You could even include Dougie in that too, he's been almost successfully everywhere in the NHL as well. Fitz has done an incredible with this team's roster infusing it with veterans + youth we were oozing already.

Reactions: Devs3cups
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad